Japan says Thanks

Phil_musc
This topic is 4534 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I spent a month in japan visiting friends in March and have to admit that the japanese are very resilient and extremely grateful people. Tourism is still very low and shopkeepers display extreme gratitude at any purchase you make (i presume this is a japanese characteristic). It is quite eye opening to travel in a country where their language bears no resemblance to english or western languages (although i minored in japanese and speak chinese fluently) and to be able to do it independently and visit the small towns, you see how similar people are everywhere and they are indeed grateful for tourists. I would love to revisit this winter or next year to see the autumn colors in Kyoto. I'm told they are quite spectacular. The traditional handicrafts and folk goods/snacks are quite interesting and worth looking at; i had a whole suitcase stuffed with little things like that.

Thank you for sharing this post :)

My cousin sent me this link this morning. It's a clip of the Japanese people thanking the world for its help last year at the time of the earthquake. It's pretty moving - I got all misty. Wonderful vid - watch and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=SS-sWdAQsYg&vq=medium

I spent a month in japan visiting friends in March and have to admit that the japanese are very resilient and extremely grateful people. Tourism is still very low and shopkeepers display extreme gratitude at any purchase you make (i presume this is a japanese characteristic). It is quite eye opening to travel in a country where their language bears no resemblance to english or western languages (although i minored in japanese and speak chinese fluently) and to be able to do it independently and visit the small towns, you see how similar people are everywhere and they are indeed grateful for tourists. I would love to revisit this winter or next year to see the autumn colors in Kyoto. I'm told they are quite spectacular. The traditional handicrafts and folk goods/snacks are quite interesting and worth looking at; i had a whole suitcase stuffed with little things like that.

Thank you for sharing this post :)

It infuriated me to no end to see people posting about how the Japanese deserved what they got because of WWII. If that's the case, God only knows what's in store for white Middle America for decimating the Native American population.

Archived