Rio vacation June 6-13

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 4355 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have scheduled my vacation to Rio. I will be leaving the states on Wed June 6 and departing Rio the following Wed, June 13. I was not able to co-ordinate my schedule with my usual travel friend, but I did find a new person from the boards here who wanted to make the trip, so we will be traveling together for the first time. We decided on two separate efficiency apartments in the same building, so we are close, but not on top of one another. The apartments are near the Cantalago metro stop. We arranged them thru the http://www.rioapartmentrental.com agency. The agency comes well reviewed by several other posters from here and/or MER.

If anyone else happens to be in Rio during any of our time, please drop me a line as I would welcome the opportunity to meet up over a drink, a bite, or a boy.

I realize not much has been posted here lately on Rio. It seems like more of the prolific Rio posters have migrated over to MER. But I am sure that many here still are curious about the Rio goings on.

9 weeks till vacation. WOOHOO

I plan to get to brazil in the coming months but probably not till July. I think you are already an experienced brazil traveler, but if you have any questions, let me know.

Have a great visit!!

I'll be in Rio for 2 weeks in mid-July so I'll miss LurkerSpeaks, but EZEtoGRU might be there. Drop me a line on this site or on MER (same user ID) if you might want to meet up for a drink or something. Enjoy your trip, Lurker!

• 2 weeks later...
I have scheduled my vacation to Rio. I will be leaving the states on Wed June 6 and departing Rio the following Wed, June 13. I was not able to co-ordinate my schedule with my usual travel friend, but I did find a new person from the boards here who wanted to make the trip, so we will be traveling together for the first time. We decided on two separate efficiency apartments in the same building, so we are close, but not on top of one another. The apartments are near the Cantalago metro stop. We arranged them thru the http://www.rioapartmentrental.com agency. The agency comes well reviewed by several other posters from here and/or MER.

If anyone else happens to be in Rio during any of our time, please drop me a line as I would welcome the opportunity to meet up over a drink, a bite, or a boy.

I realize not much has been posted here lately on Rio. It seems like more of the prolific Rio posters have migrated over to MER. But I am sure that many here still are curious about the Rio goings on.

9 weeks till vacation. WOOHOO

Lurkerspeaks, your time is nearing, and I applaud and support you on this impending journey! Enjoy immensely. When you get the chance, please keep us apprised of your many and varied adventures,

but if you choose to write about them once you return homeward, that is perfectly all right with me. I don't mind living vicariously after the experience has concluded. Enjoy "The Marvelous City!!"

Yes, I depart 4 weeks from today. Not sure yet if I will take my laptop with me (the rented apartment offers free wifi) or just use one of the many internet cafes. During my past trips, I usually make journal entries every day or so, depending on the events of each day.. I won't promise, but I will try to do the same this year. I am meeting Tomcal there for the first few days, so hopefully his proclivity will wear off on me.. meaning too many boys/men to remember if I wait until returning to recap.

Hey Lurker,

I see the Brazilian Real is close to 2:1 against the US dollar. Good news for your travels!

BTW, I always wanted to tell you that you have great taste in butts. Of course I'm speaking of your Avatar. That has to be a Brazilian butt....I can spot them a mile away. LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE: [Lucky, thanks for the well-wishes and remembering my trip! I am certainly looking forward to it, even if the dollar does not get higher. I will be glad to share my tales of travel in Brazil to everyone who is interested.]lurkerspeaks)]QUOTE

You are welcome. Have a good time! And yes, we look forward to hearing some good stories!

Four days and counting til departure.. The dollar is once again back over the 2:1 mark.. temps are staying around 80 degrees, but rain has been on and off in Rio.. (We had a record for June 1 here in Phoenix of 111 yesterday).

Gotta do some last minute shopping to get ready for the trip..The flight appears to be pretty much sold out, so little to no chance of getting any empty seat next to me.. Good thing I managed to lose 20 lbs over the last couple of months. Every little bit helps when it comes to squeezing my fat ass in those damn coach seats.

Thanks, Lucky. it is pretty amazing what you can do when you spend the night in the hospital with heart issues..

It turned out to be nothing "really" serious, but it put the scare in me.. So two months now of none of the following (with very minor exceptions), Red meat, eggs, fried foods, soda, caffeine, alcohol. I have, for the most part, kept my caloric intake to under 2000 calories per day.. usually less. I don't go to the grocery store without checking calorie counts on everything.

It has now become a way of life for me.. But I know I will be splurging in Rio.. Fresh fruits, while nutritious, are high in calories. All that meat.. not to mention the rice AND fries they serve with everything.. (I Know, I know. I dont have to eat it all)...Not to mention that I have to get my yearly supply of Acai's in the week I am there..

Have a great time in Rio!! I'm looking forward to a report. As you say, the exchange rate is working in your favour. There was some not-so-good economic news on Brazil that came out on friday which will put continued pressure on the real......which is great for you!!

Boa Viagem to you and your traveling partner!!

Thank you to all the well wishers. Travel day is here. I have to finish packing, and gathering all by "stuff" together. Does anyone have any suggestions for packing two one-gallon jugs of Aunt Jemima Syrup? No joke on this one, but NO, it is not for me.

Archived