411 from Scotch Drinkers

wayout
This topic is 4560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm not much of a scotch drinker myself but I have been following this thread as it is interesting to me. In the link about scotch glasses there was another link that talked about different types of glasses, namely tumbers, tulip shaped and crystal glasses. Well I learned something that I never knew:

"The lead oxide in crystal glasses gives it the sparkle and clarity that crystal is known for. Alcohol, including scotch, draws out this lead in the crystal the moment you pour your drink into the glass. The more expensive your crystal glasses, the higher the amount of lead they contain. Also, the higher the alcohol content of your scotch, the quicker the lead will seep out of the crystal. Despite the alcohol content and the amount of lead in the glass, the alcohol absorbs the lead at such a low rate that you can still safely drink from a crystal glass. However, storing alcohol in a crystal decanter over a long period of time does become dangerous.

Read more: Types of Scotch Glasses | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6909854_types-scotch-glasses.html#ixzz1h0JluWLg"

If this is true about the lead "leaching" out into the alcohol (even if at safe levels) I'm not crazy about drinking from a crystal glass much anymore.

Just don't serve scotch to young children who are most susceptible to lead poisoning, at least of the variety not served from a firearm. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been interesting to read all these posts and comments about scotch whiskey. I refuse and refrain from saying that some of those are snooty. :)

Although I am perfectly willing to let anyone drink whatever they choose, I have always thought that scotch smells like and tastes like diesel fuel. However, I have heard with my own ears some who think that burned JetA smells like success, so, whatever cranks your tractor. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Just don't serve scotch to young children who are most susceptible to lead poisoning, at least of the variety not served from a firearm. :)

Love that line...great one :)

Did you use crystal much before? :p

At my house you're far more likely to get a red Solo cup anyway.

Actually I really love my set of Waterford lead crystal tumblers I received many many years ago and although I am not a scotch drinker, I love love a good bourbon. I'll have to look into getting one of those red Solo cups now. :) Btw, I enjoyed the video.

I finally made my choice and wanted to let everyone know that based on the feedback here I went with a 16yo Oban single malt. I have enough other options from peoples' recommendations to be set with Christmas gifts for my brother for the rest of the decade. Thanks so much to everyone who posted with their suggestions. Now my Christmas shopping is done and it is time to wrap the gifts. Cheers!!!!

Archived