411 from Scotch Drinkers

wayout
This topic is 4560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I need to get some scotch for an Xmas gift for my brother. I am not a scotch drinker so have no idea what single malts are considered "very good" other than following some general rule that the longer the aging the better? Or are good blended scotch whiskeys respectable enough to give? I've done some research on the net but it is overwhelming. The guy at the liquor store (actually a "kid" who probably never had a single malt in his life) was no help. I need some help and guidance so anything any scotch drinkers on the board can tell me would be appreciated. I do want to keep the cost to around $80, plus or minus a bit, if possible.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blends are generally less expensive than single malts.

They're preferred by many who find the peaty flavor of the single malts to be off putting.

Here's a link to a taste testing of blends that you may find useful.

http://www.scotchblog.ca/scotch_blog/2010/08/battle-of-the-blends.html

On the other hand, a late night shot of a single malt is sublime.

Talisker, Islay, Jura, and any Macallan......

The same website discusses the single malts.

http://www.scotchblog.ca/scotch_blog/2009/12/gg2.html

Glenfiddich is the best single malt scotch in the entire history of the world. Google them and you will find tons of info and reviews. IMO the best blended is Dewars but Johnny Walker and Haig and Haig Pinch are excellent also. This is from a lifetime dedicated scotch drinker.

Availability will be your bugbear here. Keep in mind "single malt", "18 years old", and "$80 price range" and pretty much anything on the shelf that ticks all three boxes will do. Since it's not an expression of personal preference, just pick the one with the prettiest bottle that ticks all three boxes.

My personal favorite is Macallan (in case anyone is shopping). I greatly prefer the 24yo, but it's a lot more expensive than the 18yo, and I'm more likely to find the 18yo in my local liquor store. You're also likely to find some form of Glenfiddich which is also perfectly giftable in that sort of festive general purpose way.

But really, someone who enjoys aged single malt will enjoy any aged single malt.

Yes, the older single malts are better -- and higher in price, no surprise that. The starting point is a 10 year malt, and many of them are fine. But when you move on to 12 and 15 year malts -- and on up -- you get to some really fine whiskeys. Much depends upon how experienced a Scotch drinker your recipient is. Macallan and Aberlour are nice, smooth malts. But usually, the more experienced drinkers like the older and more peaty, or smoky, blends, like Laphroig (way too harsh for my taste). Some varieties remain smooth but have a smoky aftertaste, a good compromise if you don't know how stiff your friend likes it, as it were. These include Glenlivet 12 or 15, a favorite in bars; Glenrothes and, my favorite, the Balvenie. All start around $50. for a ten year, and go up from there. Once you develop a taste for single malts, blended malts often don't satisfy. Among blended malts, though, Teachers, which can be hard to find, really measures up to a single malt. A wee dram to your brother at Christmas.

If you are considering a blend, I think you can't go wrong with Chivas. Dewar's is also quite good, likewise Grant's (a new blend that I tried in the state store and really liked - very similar to Dewar's). For single malts, at a very reasonable price you can get McClelland's. For something more upscale, Glennfiddich or Glenlivet are popular. I also tried Highland and it was fine. As a single malt scotch drinker I like and appreciate trying different ones - I don't think you'll go wrong.

Before choosing, find out whether your brother is already a single malt drinker. If not, go with a high end blend. Most scotch drinkers don't much like the taste of single malts. That's why blended whiskeys were invented and are so much more prevalent in the marketplace.

And as philmusic points out, many single malt drinkers are like wine aficionados in that they enjoy trying out something new, so don't worry too much about picking the wrong one. Any single malt that has survived the development of blended will have something going for it.

Yes, the older single malts are better -- and higher in price, no surprise that. The starting point is a 10 year malt, and many of them are fine. But when you move on to 12 and 15 year malts -- and on up -- you get to some really fine whiskeys. Much depends upon how experienced a Scotch drinker your recipient is.

Macallan

Aberlour

Laphroig

Glenlivet 12 or 15

Glenrothes

The Balvenie

My Vote is with Lankypeters... I could drink at his bar!

That's why blended whiskeys were invented and are so much more prevalent in the marketplace.

And I always thought blended whiskeys were a way to sell the stuff that wasn't good enough to sell as a single malt. This one's too harsh, this one's too weak, let's pour them together and see if it sells.

I agree with instudiocity about drinking at Lankypeters bar. I currently have The Balvenie Doublewood 12 years (75 CL) and Dewars on my bar. The tag says I paid $43.99 for the singlemalt. I also vote that you should find out if your brother likes singlemalts, but if he doesn't then some guest that visits him will be VERY happy to help out. I think the Glens tend to be overpriced because they are high quality, but the most visible and familiar of the singles. Rather like Dom Perignon (great stuff, but overpriced). Last night late with a fire in the fireplace and a small glass of the Balvenie neat..... oh, and a friend to enjoy them with.

For years I have only drunk Chivas and the Johnny Walkers... primarily Black, and now they have a "Double Black" that is a cross between a blend and a single malt. It was introduced two years ago in Great Britan and Australia and only recently available in the USA. It will now be my preferred drink although Royal Salute is probably the finest one on the market... but quite expensive. Buying a single malt scotch is a bit tricky, as the taste varies so much and can be very expensive. There are some single malts that I like and others I dislike and age and price don't seem to make much difference if you prefer to drink on the rocks... but if you like it straight or "neat" then again you may not hit something he truly likes. You can always give him a gift certificate to a liquor store so he can buy what he prefers. Good luck, and I am sure he will appreciate the thought... much better scotch than socks or ties~! ( I never drink DeWars, in spite of its popularity, as I don't think there is much of a taste to it.... it is too "light") I haven't looked in the liquor stores lately, but Johnny Walker used to sell a gift box that had four smaller bottles of their Red, Black, Green and Blue versions, which is a great gift for any scotch drinker, but not sure if they still have that around. It was only sold between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

From one who has drunk Scotch for over 40 years and Single malt at least for 30 of thos 40... While I like DEWERS as a blended whiskey, especially if I take it with a splash of water or club soda, a blended whiskey I found very pleasing and interesting in Europe (and now here, when I can find it) is FAMOUS GROUSE http://www.whiskeywise.com/famous-grouse-whisky.html

As for the single malts, one caveat is that I consider it an acquired taste, and some prefer them more smokey, some milder, some more aged, some less... I went through many different kinds and find all the sinkle malts named here very good. I used to use only Glenfiddich, but then graduated to Glenlivet, Laphroig, Macallan etc... If I am buying for myself these days, I choose Famous Grouse for the blended and then Laphroig or Macallan for the single malt (buit if someone gives me a git of any other single malt, it would always be appreciated.)

If you are not sure of his likes and dislikes buy a sampler selection for $80 you should get at least 4 quarter bottles in a pack. Remember the "age" is how long it was in the barrel unlike wine not when bottled. Personally Islay for its unique smoker flavour is my favourite - just in case anyone is still wondering what I want in my stocking!

You can get Dom at Costco for right at a Benjamin - $100.

I did not know that!! Many thanks, that is a big difference in price. I hate going there because of the long lines, but at $100 that kinda makes the trip worthwhile. And Costco is just up the street. Does the Dom come with the box, or is it just displayed with the bottle?. For a gift, you really need the box for presentation.

I prefer Macallan 18 year, and here in my state it runs about $80 a bottle. Macallan is aged in special oak barrels that have been partially seasoned with sherry. I do not drink blended scotch whiskeys (I would have a good Bourbon if there is no single malt available) so I cannot comment on them. Macallan 12 year is respectable for around $50ish

a blended whiskey I found very pleasing and interesting in Europe (and now here, when I can find it) is FAMOUS GROUSE

Oh, man, thanks for the reminder Adriano! I tried Famous Grouse at the suggestion of a bartender once and make a point of ordering it when it's available (which isn't that often), but I always forget when it's time to go shopping!

Note made.

I like Glenffidich, too!

Glenfiddich is the best single malt scotch in the entire history of the world. Google them and you will find tons of info and reviews. IMO the best blended is Dewars but Johnny Walker and Haig and Haig Pinch are excellent also. This is from a lifetime dedicated scotch drinker.

I particularly like Glenffidch 15 which has a sherry, citrus orange flavor for me, then Glenlivet 12 which I feel has a creamy, vanilla flavor. I think Glenlivet is one of the most popular single malts in both Scotland and the rest of the world. Oban 14 is quite distinctive and has a rich, smokey, peat flavor and was my favorite distillery to visit, in a very small town, right on the ocean. Laphroaig 10 also has a smokey, peat finish for me and is currently quite trendy. Macallan 12 has a sherry, crispy apple flavor. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these, after all he is your brother, and should appreciate your gesture in trying to get him something he might really like. You could also consider accessories like the proper glassware (Riedel?), scotch stones (pieces of marble?) which you freeze and then use to keep your drink cool without dilution, or those famous spherical ice molds from MOMA which are popular because you just use one spherical piece of ice per glass and it tends not to melt as fast as regular ice, also preventing dilution, or maybe a scotch liquore like Drambuie? There are also great coffee table books about scotch/Scotland or travel guides about "scotch" tours which are great fun. My brother and I always order Jonny Walker Black when we're out and about, it's a good blended scotch with a slightly smokey, peat flavor and a much more reasonable bar price since they really jack the price on single malts. My father really liked that Haig and Haig Pinch.

Thanks to everyone who posted here with viewpoints and suggestions. You gotta love this board for getting useful info on a wide variety of subjects. I learned quite a bit from the comments here and it is much more clear to me after getting totally confused facing the selection at the liquor store and reading so much on the net about this.

I did a little more in-depth research for what my brother drinks and he has enjoyed Dewars and Johnny Walker Green in the past. So moving to a single malt may be somewhat risky as people have indicated it is an acquired and personal taste as to what works for them or not. Next time I'm at a bar with him I'll buy him a single malt to see what he thinks but right now, considering the risk of him not liking something I come up with and the cost of a bottle of single malt, I think it is probably better to stick with a high end blended.

I also very much like the suggestion of getting a "sampler" of different scotches. If I can find something like that I think that would be a perfect gift for him. Off to the liquor store this morning when it opens to take another look at what they have and hopefully cross that off my Christmas shopping list.

Interesting to see the number of scotch drinkers on this forum and how much they really enjoy it. Makes me think maybe I should give it another try to see if my palate has "matured" since I decided I did not enjoy scotch some 30 years ago. I'll see if my brother will share a wee dram of his gift with me on Christmas :-)

Cheers everyone!!!

I prefer Macallan 18 year, and here in my state it runs about $80 a bottle. Macallan is aged in special oak barrels that have been partially seasoned with sherry. I do not drink blended scotch whiskeys (I would have a good Bourbon if there is no single malt available) so I cannot comment on them. Macallan 12 year is respectable for around $50ish

where the heck do you live?!? I bought a bottle of Macallan 18 over five years ago, and even then it was $170(!) here in Las Vegas (which I thought had fairly low sin taxes, for obvious reasons). If I could get it for $80 a bottle, I'd buy a bottle a month!!

Macallan 18 is my all-time favorite. I've sampled quite a few other fine single malts, some far more expensive, and always end up going back to Mac18.

Oh, man, thanks for the reminder Adriano! I tried Famous Grouse at the suggestion of a bartender once and make a point of ordering it when it's available (which isn't that often), but I always forget when it's time to go shopping!

Note made.

No problem Deej -- if I knew you liked this I would send you a bottle for Christmas and New Year! It is great and remember introducing US friends to it when in Europe -- they were champion Scotch drinkers, gave them this, and the next day had to heop them find where to buy a few bottles to take home.

Archived