J. Edgar Poofter and other Upcoming Movies

Lucky
This topic is 4592 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

An American hero is vilified on the big screen in Clint Eastwood's latest film, J. Edgar.

Well, that's what I might have said had J. Edgar Hoover actually devoted himself to his country instead of his own power. A rainy day in the desert brought out the crowds for this new flick starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Armie Hammer as the director of the FBI and his top assistant. Judi Dench played Hoover's mother, one who tolerated no digression from her plan for her son.

The period sets were just great, the costumes quite nice, Armie adorable, and Leo appropriately domineering and persuasive in his role as the Director of the FBI, where he held sway for 48 years, often blackmailing those who would try to oust him from his perch.

The movie is told partly in flashback and, it seemed, partly by flipping a coin as to what scene would come next. It was annoying the way Eastwood jumbled his time frames. The makeup was not entirely convincing, especially for the older Clyde Tolson.

But, all in all, it is a likable movie and generally well done. In my opinion, of course. Maureen Dowd devotes her column tomorrow to the film: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/opinion/sunday/dowd-dirty-harry-meets-dirtier-edgar.html?_r=1

Rarely do I much care for previews, but today several promising movies were previewed in a row: My Week with Marilyn, with Eddie Redmayne playing a lead. He was the Broadway sensation in Red with Alfred Molina. Dominic Cooper also stars.

Redmayne

http://media-worlds.theotaku.com/18504-146094-20100810132719.jpg

Also looking good is War Horse, the film version of the book on which the Broadway show is based. The lead will be played by the very cute Jeremy Irvine despite longstanding rumors that the lead would be given to Eddie Redmayne, above.

Irvine

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jeremy+Irvine+Pirates+Caribbean+Stranger+Tides+uUS2kkOub12l.jpg

The new Daniel Craig movie looks good too. Now what was it about? :)

Just returned home from seeing the J Hoover movie and am trying to decide if I liked it or not. There is a lot to like, such as costuming, set decoration, and performances, but also a lot to question, such as film editing, makeup and story line accuracy. At this point I would say - go and see it and let us know your reaction.

Without a doubt Hoover was the most tedious movie of the year.

Leonardo DiCaprio has no discernible screen personality with a limited acting range. He's a tad old to play the youthful J. Edgar and way too young to play the old monster.

The theater started to empty at about the half-way mark and by the end I envied those that had left.

Archived