Horror Movies

mmk
This topic is 7884 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well the Halloween season is upon us. One of my all time guilty pleasures are horror movies-both good and bad. I just got through watching Backstory on AMC which told the behinf the scenes makings of the original Halloween and now I am watching Halloween 5 (never saw it before - wish I would have passed. I actually think that Donald Pleasence was actually scarier than Micheal Myers, which I am sure was not intentional)

Anyway, my list includes:

The Evil Dead (Both 1 and 2)

Halloween (the 1st one, never saw the 2nd)

Scream

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Re-Animator

I Spit on Your Grave (Horror at it's worst but so bad it was enjoyable)

Them (giant mutant ants)

Nightmare on Elm Street (really bad acting from Ronnie Blakely - would love to see this movie remade with a big budget)

The Slumber Party Massacre (another so bad it's good one)

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD freaks me out because the farmhouse where the action takes place reminds me of a place I spent a great deal of time when I was a young un.

SCREAM the opening with Drew Barrymore freaks me out because it is something the I see as totally possible happening, especially the part when she says she is going to call the police and the killer says "you'll be dead by the time they get here" and it is totally true.

HE KNOWS WHEN YOU'RE ALONE I have never made it past the opening of this movie but the scene with a killing in a movie thearer makes me look over my shoulder when I go to the movies and made it near impossible for me to watch a movie in an empty theater once (the movie was Dracula 2000 which in and of itself isn't scary at all but the situation was creepy enough)

Guest Bitchboy

I LUV horror movies. Sometimes I think the high class move of late has ruined the genre. I liked Silence of the Lambs et al, but they've moved the horror movie into a realm it was never intended to go.

Give me classics like THEM, Creature of the Black Lagoon, The Blob, House of Wax, etc.

But my all time favorite, wonderfully funny and exciting horror flick is Theatre of Blood with the great Vincent Price and Diana Rigg, in which he disposed of his victims one by one using the methods Shakespeare wrote of in his plays. It also starred such hammy actors as Robert Morley and Diana Dors.

>Well the Halloween season is upon us. One of my all time

>guilty pleasures are horror movies-both good and bad.

My favorite Halloween movie is The Day The Earth Stood Still. Some great performances, including Michael Rennie as the alien and Francis Bavier perhaps playing herself and certainly being the opposite of Aunt Bea on Andy Griffith. Mostly the reason I like this movie is the weird music. Call it horror or call it science fiction, The Day The Earth Stood Still is perfect Halloween fare.

Always wanted to dress up as the robot but getting the costume right would be difficult.

--EBG

Guest Kenny021

My all time favorites: Exorcist, House of Wax, Halloween (the original, Francis Ford Coppola's DRACULA (really good sense of style)

Ok, call me old fashioned, but "The Mummy" with Boris Karloff still gives me shivers and "The Bride of Frankenstein" is still my all time favorite. I liked this one long before I knew it's director, James Whale was gay. I can't imagine anyone here hasn't seen "Gods and Monsters". Brendan Fraser (sigh)!

For pure wonderful camp I love "The Fearless Vampire Killers" by Roman Polanski. I believe this was his wife Sharon Tate's last movie before she was killed which gives it an added chill factor. Speaking of "Vampire Killers", has anyone seen the new Broadway show "Dance of the Vampires" which is based on the movie? It's in preview so hasn't been reviewed. I'd like to hear an opinion before I fork over $100 or so for a ticket. Trick or treat!

The original "Nosferatu" scared the crap out of me.

On the other hand as a horror fan I love Motel Hell. Not really scary but it never fails to make me laugh or let me get my Halloween on!

"It takes all kind of critters to make Farmer Vincents fritters!" Rory Calhoun- Motel Hell

Guest Armand Tesla

>Ok, call me old fashioned, but "The Mummy" with Boris

>Karloff still gives me shivers and "The Bride of

>Frankenstein" is still my all time favorite. I liked this

>one long before I knew it's director, James Whale was gay. I

>can't imagine anyone here hasn't seen "Gods and Monsters".

>Brendan Fraser (sigh)!

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is probably my favorite movie of all time. I love all of the old Universal Horror films, especially those directed by Whale(y'all have got to see THE OLD DARK HOUSE; an amazing movie loaded with campy humor and great dialogue).

In fact, my screenname is the name of a vampire Bela Lugosi played in a forties horror flick. I think it's a cool name and it sounds sort of exotic so I used it.

>On the other hand as a horror fan I love Motel Hell. Not

>really scary but it never fails to make me laugh or let me

>get my Halloween on!

>

>"It takes all kind of critters to make Farmer Vincents

>fritters!" Rory Calhoun- Motel Hell

Well, if we're going for kitschy thrills, how come no one has mentioned kitsch-classic "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"! Another source of much amusement.

--EBG

"The Other" is an old (B&W) film about twin pre-teen boys (one of whom is actually dead) creating havok in a small town one summer. Something about this movie scares the shit out of me (maybe it's the totally innocent nature of the kid who's doing all the mahem), and I can't get my wife to watch it again eventhough she wathces all the other horror movies (new and old) with me.

I love vampire movies – serious or camp. However, they are just entertaining and not really scary. For me to get really scared there has to be an element of reality. Something that could actually happen. That’s why the psycho and slasher movies just scare the shit out of me.

All time scariest…”Seven.”

Most life altering…”Jaws.” It’s been almost 30 years and I STILL can't go into the ocean without thinking about sharks.

Which "Halloween" has Donald Pleasence screaming at the little mute girl for half the movie? We saw that one on TV in a movie marathon last week. My partner started yelling because the girl is getting so chewed up in scenes by Donald P. that during filming she had to yell, "Cut! Am I in the scene or this movie? Where is my agent? This old man is killing ME. I'll be in my trailer!" lol

Good Stuff:

Black Christmas

Night of the Living Dead

Any of those throat slitting Italian flicks

The Last Broadcast

Helter Skelter< Manson stopping time lol>

The Evil Dead

Happiness

I missed catching "Cannibal Holocaust" at a brew pub cinema in Austin near UT Damn It!

"They're Coming To Get You, Barbara,"

John

http://www.SmallTownJohn1.com

Guest in yer face

Just saw "The RIng" and loved it. Left me feeling spooked all night. If you can find the Japanese oringinal, called "Ringu" its even better.

Great Horror movies....................................

The Omen,Nightmare on Elm Street-the 1st one only,Fall of the House of Usher,Witchfinder General,The Exorcist-saw it as a kid SHIT it got me scared saw it 20 years later and it STILL scared me am i a pussy or what :+ (no need to answer that folks !!!!!!!)

Nosferatu also was cool i think actually black and white makes a movie more scary in glorious Technicolor it aint the same......

BTW hope every1 had a good HALLOWEEN :9

Archived