Unnatural Acts

uwsman2
This topic is 4688 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm checking out this off-Broadway show tonight. Based on a real incident - a Harvard student was found murdered under suspicious circumstances in the 1920s, which led the university to set up a secret committee to investigate the gay subculture at the university, root them out, and expel them. A few years back a researcher found the records of the secret committee in the university archives, a book resulted, and now this play.

This is one fantastic show, if depressing at times because of what it tells us about life for gay people in 1920. I have to amend slightly my description above. A recently-withdrawn Harvard student was found dead in his bedroom in Fall River, either an accident victim or a suicide (gas leak?). His brother found some letters in his room that raised his suspicions, and brought them to the Dean of Harvard College, who then constituted a "secret court" of administrators to investigate. The resulting investigation exposed a group of gay undergrads and recent graduates who partied away in a dormitory room in Perkins Hall, drinking illicit booze (it was during Prohibition), reading forbidden books (like Havelock Ellis) and, horrors, having consensual sex. Most of them were expelled from Harvard as a result of the investigation, but it does not seem that any were turned over to the police. Harvard kept the written proceedings of the secret court hidden in the university archives under tight seal. An undergraduate doing research for a paper stumbled across them a few years ago and tried to pry them loose from the archives. He finally got a copy with all the names redacted, but a core of determined Harvard Crimson reporters ferreted out their identities through a massive research effort - and the reason for the prolonged secrecy came clear: at least two of the men, the two who were found "not guilty" by the court and allowed to complete their degrees, went on to important careers, and Harvard wanted to keep their involvement in this secret scandal out of the public view. One was a theater producer and arts administrator of note, the other a distinguished federal judge. (The judge, at least, was evidently not gay and even a bit of a stuffed-shirt, but the doings took place on his dorm floor, his roommate was one of the gay circle, and he wandered in to one of the parties, staying long enough to have some forbidden scotch and to dance with one of the other men.) But some of the students who were expelled had their lives ruined and there were some suicides.

So, although it sounds like a grim story, the play is not unrelentingly grim. In fact, it is quite entertaining, enthralling, dramatic, quick-paced, and impeccably cast with a crew of very talented young male actors about whom one comes to care in the course of the evening. It's a short run at Classic Stage and I suggest - Don't miss it!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with all you have said UWSMAN2. This is one of the best plays I have seen all season! A truly riveting and intensly dramatic show with a great cast. You could hear a pin drop during the performance. Well directed, moving and a great theatrical experience. Alas, it's in a limited run at the classic Stage Theater Co. Highly recommended.

ED

• 3 weeks later...

This terrific show closes at the end of July. If you haven't seen it and can swing it - do so. Saw it this past weekend, the director said they were out of advertising budget for promotional efforts for the end of the run (which has been extended a couple of times) and asked everyone to pass the word. So I am. Here is a link to the website: http://www.classicstage.org/

I was able to get a front row seat to this show last month. The cute jock character stripped naked right in front of me. The show is well worth seeing, nude guy or not.
I must admit it was a bit disappointing having that stud strip naked and then drop his towel revealing that large semi erect penis and then nothing for the rest of the play. Granted the play was excellent and I gave the actors a well deserved standing ovation at the end but couldnt they have included bit more gratuitous nudity as all nine male characters were quite pleasing to the eye.

Archived