Bruges

Steven_Draker
This topic is 4781 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

... a romantic place?

Last weekend I was showing Bruges to a friend. It was a great sunny day, clear skies with a light breeze. We were sitting at a cafe terrace, enjoying the sun, sipping cherry beer and listening to the bells music played at the nearby Belfry Tower ... I felt I was in Paradise.

Then suddenly I'm reminded of the movie "In Bruges" with Colin Farrell and Ralph Fiennes and one thought crossed my mind ...

[video=youtube;jDyEbUUpiLc]

The contrast with the real Bruges is rather amusing and the dialogues hysterical.

Has anyone seen the movie or been to Bruges?

Bruges is a magical town, I'd go back there in a heartbeat! I enjoy seeing movies that are set in locations that I've visited, so I'll fucking have to check out "In Bruges" The dialogue sounds very interesting.

Found Bruges to be a lovely city. Enjoyed walking and taking in the atmosphere. When I saw the movie it took me a short while to realize that it was a very funny comedy. Enjoyed the re-visit to the town in the movie and thought that Collin Farrell gave one of his best performances ever. Who knew he was a natural born comic actor?

Thanks for bringing it back to my attention. Will now have to watch it again!

Visiting Bruges, Belgium

Bruges is a lovely and charming city, delightful to visit on foot or in one of the canal boats. Among many other delights, it has the Groeninge Museum of masterpieces of 15th century Flemish painters, and in the Church of our Lady, it has the beautiful Madonna and Child by Michelangelo. The same lady probably modeled for the Pieta. The Christ Child stands by himself and looks as if he is going to walk out into the world, not stay protected in his mother's arms. It is a beautiful statue. For snacking, the chocolates and waffles in town are very good. Concerts by the carillon in the wool market tower are very special.

Found Bruges to be a lovely city. Enjoyed walking and taking in the atmosphere. When I saw the movie it took me a short while to realize that it was a very funny comedy. Enjoyed the re-visit to the town in the movie and thought that Collin Farrell gave one of his best performances ever. Who knew he was a natural born comic actor? Thanks for bringing it back to my attention. Will now have to watch it again!

Glad you enjoyed it, N13. The genre is what they call a "black comedy" but you can see it also listed as a drama/thriller. There are some very funny parts in the movie and some rather dark and violent moments. Sometimes in the midst of a carnage there are moments of hilarity and you ask yourself if it's right to laugh or it's wrong to laugh? It's thought provocative. The town of Bruges, depicted as dark and dreary in the middle of December, serves as a background of the main story.

Storyline

London based hit men Ray and Ken are told by their boss Harry Waters to lay low in Bruges, Belgium for up to two weeks following their latest hit, which resulted in the death of an innocent bystander. Harry will be in touch with further instructions. While they wait for Harry's call, Ken, following Harry's advice, takes in the sights of the medieval city with great appreciation. But the charms of Bruges are lost on the simpler Ray, who is already despondent over the innocent death, especially as it was his first job. Things change for Ray when he meets Chloe, part of a film crew shooting a movie starring an American dwarf named Jimmy. When Harry's instructions arrive, Ken, for who the job is directed, isn't sure if he can carry out the new job, especially as he has gained a new appreciation of life from his stay in the fairytale Bruges. While Ken waits for the inevitable arrival into Bruges of an angry Harry.

Steven thanks for your post. I was just organizing my old photo albums the other day and picked up a stack of pictures taken in Brugges 11 years ago when I was visiting one of my best friends who was doing some research work in a university nearby (Louvain). The picture was taken of my friend and me sitting on a yellowed stone bridge over looking a pond filled with swans. It was a perfect sunny day filled with eating, cruising cute boys, and catching up. My friend and his Flemish boyfriend took me around to other towns in belgium, including Antwerp, Ghent and Brussels. Haven't been back since bit have fond memories of that trip.

Been there, and and saw the movie.

Loved the movie, hated the city. I found it waaaay too twee for my taste and overpriced. If you rent the movie, one of the extras on the disc is about 10 minutes of the actors saying "Fucking Bruges". That about sums it up for me, but everyone else seems to love the place.

My first visit to Bruges was forty years ago. What still sticks in my mind was the incredible stink of the canals. When I returned ten years later, they were a bit better. How do they smell now?

By the way, one of my favorite operas, "Die Tote Stadt" by Eric Korngold, is set in Bruges.

The canals were cleaned up a long time ago. Fish can actually live in them now, believe it or not.

The one remaining STINK was the (former) bishop of Bruges, Mgr Roger Vangheluwe. Last year, he was forced to relinquish his title and leave Belgium after he confessed to having had sex repeatedly with his own brother's son, while the son was still a minor. The Belgians are fairly tolerant to their catholic clergy having affairs, but the combo gay/underage/incest was just too much. And since all of this happened 25+ years ago, he can't be prosecuted.

Steven, I also love Bruges. It's one of the most beautiful European cities I've ever visited. People often refer to Bruges as "Venice of the North," but I actually found Bruges to be more charming and beautiful than Venice which is saying a lot (because I adore Venice too)!

I was last in Bruges fifteen years ago - a young guy travelling through Europe and I found it enchanting, especially at night. Although I can't remember its name, I had an extraordinary meal at a very fine restaurant the night I stayed there.

Archived