Catch Me If You Can

foxy
This topic is 4666 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I thought this was a terrific show. Very curious to see how they would turn what I thought was a very good movie into a musical. Turns out almost every song is s show stopper. Great singing and dancing, fun and inventive. Aaron Tveit was everything you could wish for in a Broadway leading man. Terrific voice and looks good with his shirt off. Norbert Leo Butz (I love that name) doesn't look like he should be able to sing and dance but he does and does it well. The whole cast was really fine. Definitely a hit in my book.

Saw it in NYC a week ago when the previews first started and I loved it. The two leading actors - new rising Broadway star Aaron Tveit (as Frank Abagnale, Jr) and Norbert Leo Butz (as Agent Carl Hanratty) brought so many smiles and energy on stage. Highly recommended.

Here's a little glimpse of what to expect ...

[video=youtube;qDPyk4vSkTQ]

I agree. A Broadway smash! A sure Tony winner for Best Musical. A lively romp through the early life of Frank Abengale with a terrific sixties-inspired score by Marc Shaiman, lively choreography by Jerry Mitchell and a book by Terrence McNally (isn't that a gay triple threat!). Lead actor, young Aaron Treit is a great new Broadway star and his all-American good looks and chisled body will make him an instant heartthrob on Broadway. Norbert Leo Butz almost stole the show with his number "Don't Break the Rules." The audience loved it, except for Anna Wintour and Michael Kors who were a few rows ahead of me and bolted at intermission proving that she likes nothing and he has an almost perpetual smirk on his puss! Luckily, Bette Midler sat in front of me and she loved it! This one is highly recommended and proof that the Broadway musical is alive and well. A highly entertaining production.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to see this...had tickets as a Christmas present and it was worth the wait...fab seats in the center front mezz.

Agree with all above. Norbert Leo Butz is so great...not gorgeous, but you cannot take your eyes off him. Score is complex and interesting. Not hummable after one listen, but I cannot wait to get the CD and listen while reading the lyrics, and I imagine it will become a fave on the iPod. The direction and choreography are great...the Family Tree number is so clever it's clear to see that it's from the same genius behind Broadway Bares. Aaron Tveit is a triple threat and I look forward to seeing him develop from kid idol/star to leading man. (If we don't lose him to Hollywood like Matthew Morrison.)

Tom Wopat as Frank Senior pisses you off and breaks your heart...a neat trick in 2 hours.

My single complaint...SPOILER...I never saw the movie but I knew he got caught. I wish it hadn't opened with the capture and played the whole thing as a flashback, because it erased much of the tension...I would have been on the edge of my seat the whole time thinking..."How long can he keep this up?" Just my opinion.

But I agree this will be remembered very favorable at Tony nominating time. Best Musical...and it's the only one with a chance to beat Book of Mormon if the conservative and out of town voters don't want to vote in that direction. I think Norbert and be nominated, and probably Aaron as well. And I suspect Wopat may even win.

And a bunch of noms in the technical and creative categories.

I look forward to seeing this again in a couple of months.

Catch Me If you can...

I had seen the movie and wasn't sure how it could be turned into a musical but it was and it worked. If you haven't seen the movie, the play is very easy to follow, if you have seen it, then you'll recall many of the parts... A very talented cast with amazing singing performances.

This play might not prove that crime doesn't pay. At the ending, there is mention of what became of Frank Abagnale, Jr. He's now a very successful CEO.

I've recommended this play to many of my friends.

Coop

• 4 months later...

Archived