Rest in Peace, Leonard... And, Thanks to ALL Who Served.

JackTwist
This topic is 4911 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://filefap.com/files/1122395_6qib6/5275240964_0f23a6a3a7_z.jpg

Today, December 22, 2010, A measure of dignity was restored to thousands of U.S. service members on active duty, and to over a million gay veterans who served in silence for 234 years.

I just wanted to take a moment to celebrate this huge milestone in our nation's history and say "Thanks" today to all of our gay military men on this Board who served our country valiantly.

This was a very proud day for me and I'm glad that DADT is hopefully gone for ever. While I neither hid or advertised my sexual preference while I was on active duty, it would have been so great to be able to serve openly.

I heard President Obama's news conference after the signing. I was really moved by this statement:

As one special operations warfighter said during the Pentagon’s review -- this was one of my favorites -- it echoes the experience of Lloyd Corwin decades earlier: “We have a gay guy in the unit. He’s big, he’s mean, he kills lots of bad guys.” (Laughter.) “No one cared that he was gay.” (Laughter.) And I think that sums up perfectly the situation. (Applause.)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2010/12/22/remarks-president-and-vice-president-signing-dont-ask-dont-tell-repeal-a

Thanks so much for posting this moving thread and picture.

I'm glad that DADT is hopefully gone for ever.

It's not actually gone yet. It's still fully in place (gay soldiers can still be discharged). All this bill does is give President Obama, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, and the Secretary of Defense permission to repeal DADT if they so choose in the future after a certification and review process, for which there is no timeline.

Daddy's right. Jack's right. Today was a monumental step. Give it a few months, and we'll see where implementation is headed. We'll put more pressure when or if it's needed. Now, lets celebrate this major accomplishment. As a proud gay vet who served in silence, I never thought I would see this day.

This is a major and historic victory for us, and for President Obama and all those who made it happen. That is how it will be remembered, no matter how anyone tries to spin it to the contrary. It is a time to celebrate and to fight onward towards full equality in every other realm of society.

Archived