411 Amtrak

jawjateck
This topic is 4911 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey yall! I am thinking about taking about a month away from work next year for a "see America" tour. Instead of driving, I am considering the train. I did this in Europe about 15 years ago, and loved it, but I don't know if the enjoyment of that experience would translate into success here. My only experience on Amtrak was a short one-way trip 25 years ago, which I don't remember much about, and doubt that experience would be relevant now.

Do any of you guys use Amtrak? thoughts? advantages? commendations? negatives? is it reliable? too unpredictable? If you have recent experience, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks much,

JJT

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest greatness

If you can endure some delays (if you are unlucky you could face a major delay) and inconsistency in the customer service then you should be fine. I personally think Europe has the better train system compared to the US. If your expectation is high then you will be disappointed. I like reading books so it didn't bother me at all. A little tip for your service crew goes a long way.

I use Amtrak all the time here in the Northeast corridor. It's more convenient and usually faster than driving or flying for any sort of trip between Richmond and NYC. On-time record is pretty decent, except when the train hits an animal on the tracks and it gets stalled for 4 hours (happens more than you think). I do agree with Greatness though about the customer service - I've only had one ticketing mishap but it was agony to get it fixed. For me though, the real value is being able to work on the train and not have to deal with driving (I am a terrible driver and avoid it at all costs).

Not sure what an extended vaca would look like on Amtrak. The thought of just hopping a train and getting off in whatever city I like is appealing. Takes me back to my backpacking days. I don't know enough about the entire system to know what the "scenery out the window" is like. That's part of the appeal for me - seeing the best and most beautiful places in America from the train. I'm not sure if/where the train offers spectacular views and all that, and where it's just views of strip mails, power lines, and auto junkyards (3000 miles of that? No thank you). The trade off is the limited ability to mix up your destinations as Amtrak's routes are limited. And once you're in a city you're more or less limited to public transportation unless you rent a car.

I have a friend that took a "See Canada" trip on whatever the Canadian rail system is. Loved it. Of course it's Canada so the scenery is spectacular. But I was also told that the train was neat, clean, comfortable and the staff were very nice. Maybe you should put that on the list, but only if you can get a train that avoids French Canada, as that place is full of completely ridiculous people.

I've taken this trip twice. Your best bet is to begin with Amtrak's website: http://www.amtrak.com and research your trip from starting point to end point. I highly recommend that you reserve and use a stateroom with full bath--gives you the greatest level of comfort and privacy. I also highly recommend that you upgrade to First Class as that level will include all meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner), snacks, morning paper, and complimentary non-alcoholic beverages through out the day and evening. It is still possible to circumnavigate the USA. I began my trips on the Sunset Limited in Houston and went from Houston to Los Angeles, down to San Diego, and then back up to Los Angeles and on to Seattle on the Daylight/Starlight Limiited. From Seattle, I went to Chicago on the Empire Builder, and then on to New York on the Limited. From New York, I went to Washington D.C. on the commuter fast rail and then to Lorton, VA. to catch the auto-train (I did not have a car) to Florida and then back to Houston on the Sunset Limited. Connections were relatively easy with few layovers and the on-board service was great (don't forget to tip your Pullman Car Crew and the waiters and bartenders). This is a relaxing way to see the USA (don't expect to make time on this trip--it is a slow way to see things), but it is expensive (relatively so). Think of it as the land version of a cruise at sea. You can plan your trip so that you can have layovers in various cities and sites (e.g. Grand Canyon) and just have a wonderful time.

The CBS show "Sunday Morning" had segments on all forms of transportation this past weekend, as a gear-up towards the holidays. The trains looked great, but they made an important point: u.s. trains are not european ones and never come close to attaining the high speeds for long. They said it was because Amtrack don't own the tracks, so they frequently have to wait on a side track while the breight trains pass by. I am still tempted to give it a try. Airline travel is a pain these days.

I also have friends who took some very scenic train trips in Canada, especially out west. Service and Scenery was spectacular.

When we lived in the Northeast, we were accustomed to use Amtrak all the time, especially to go to NYC when we didn't want to bother with parking the car, though it is now much more expensive than driving and parking. Here in southern California, the situation is very different. There is only one train a day that stops in our area, and it stops late at night at a deserted spot that can only be reached by car. The train is also often late, sometimes not just by minutes or hours but even by a day, so we have never even tried it. We can fly to San Francisco in a little more than an hour, but my partner prefers to take Amtrak, because he loves train travel. To do that, he takes an Amtrak bus from the Palm Springs airport to Bakersfield, a five hour bus ride, then the train from Bakersfield to Emeryville, and then another Amtrak bus to downtown SF; the whole trip takes about twelve hours. If you have the time, it is much less hassle and cheaper than flying (especially if you qualify for the senior fare, which I know you do not). Unfortunately, the bus ride is probably more scenic than the train portion.

Friends who have taken the train from LA up the coast (the "Coast Starlight") say it is a spectacular trip, but they have had problems with long delays there, too.

I have made trips on "The Empire Builder" between Chicago and Seattle, "The Coast Starlight" between Los Angeles and Seattle, and "The Sunset Ltd." between Los Angeles and New Orleans. The Empire Builder was spectacular. Across the prairie and into the Rockies, coming into Glacier National Park late in the afternoon (late May so the Sun was up late). The Food was good, the service was excellent. I splurged on a "Bedroom" with a sofa and private shower for that trip which added to the comfort. Still we arrived in Seattle about 4 hours late. You cannot be too concerned with keeping a schedule on Amtrak. For the most spectacular trip take Canada's VIA RAIL "The Canadian" from Vancouver to Toronto in the spring. Superb service, excellent food, beautifullly maintained stainless steel "Budd" Cars from the the 1950's and some very spectacular scenery through the Rockies. I will always remember lying in my darkened compartment and looking up at the Aurora Borealis. Also a very interesting collection of people from all over the world. On the train you never dine alone so this is important.

I haven't been on AMTRAK in 15 years. Sad to hear about the on-time problem. I was a frequent rider when I lived in DC and the NYC area. It was always like clockwork back then.

My granddad retired from "the railroad" and he always said their motto was "people wait for trains, trains don't wait for people" referring to their determination to be on time no matter what. Sounds like now it means "we'll get there when we get there".

If you have the luxury of time on your side, though, it's still the most relaxed way to travel. If there are traffic worries, they are not yours. You generally have room to work (and even electric outlets). Even without the hifalutin' private compartments, it's pretty cool to just look out the window.

I may have to try the coast run (LA-Seattle) just because. It's probably pretty spectacular scenery.

Deej, you are correct the scenery on the Coast Starlight is spectacular. The train leaves L.A. and makes the journey up the California Coast in the daytime. It passes for one long stretch along the coast through Vandenburg Airforce Base. The Coast here is pristine, and is what all of California looked like before 30 million people moved in. The scenery in the Northwest is equally beautiful. "The Coast Starlight" is Amtrak's second best long haul train and the service is very good. But be careful what time of year you travel. In the spring there can be delays due to flooding in the Northwest. This train has the worst on time record in the system. If the purpose of your trip is to see some of our beautiful country, then that should not deter you.

Guest FTLdude

Do any of you guys use Amtrak? thoughts? advantages? commendations? negatives? is it reliable? too unpredictable? If you have recent experience, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks much,

JJT

Amtrak isn't as efficient as the European trains but its not bad. Far less of a hassle than going through the airports. Cleaner and more comfortable seats than a cramped, stinky airliner. If you were traveling a long distance and it is very importat that you to get where you're going on time I wouldn't recommend it, sometimes after the train makes a stop it takes a long time to get going again. But, since this is a leisure trip I say go for it. A 'See America' tour sounds like fun. :)

Great discussion guys! Thanks for your feedback! I have considered something like Electra suggested...make one big loop around the country. Has anyone made both the San Fran to Chicago run and the Seattle to Chicago run to suggest which is the more beautiful route going through the Rockies?

And since you guys have mentioned the train up the Cali coast, perhaps I should do that right after the Palm Springs weekend. That sounds like a great day trip. Of course, I have no idea if I will like the train or not, so when I have a spare day, I will hop aboard from Atlanta to New Orleans and check it out. Even if I don't enjoy the ride, at least with that destination there are pleasures at the end to make up for it. :)

If I do the post-PS trip, I probably won't go the whole leg to Seattle. I was thinking about riding up to North California, get off in SF, hang out there, before flying home. I will not have enough time in March to do what I ultimately want to do. The month-long trip will be later in the year, probably September or October.

Guest FTLdude
If I do the post-PS trip, I probably won't go the whole leg to Seattle. I was thinking about riding up to North California, get off in SF, hang out there, before flying home. I will not have enough time in March to do what I ultimately want to do. The month-long trip will be later in the year, probably September or October.

When you do get the time to do the whole thing, and you get back around to the west coast be sure to keep going north past the California border into Oregon and Washington. If its scenery that you want you'll be blown away by how pretty it is there.

Dear Steven,

The answer to your question about East Coast to West Coast (and vice-versa) on Amtrak is problematical. If you are departing from New York, take the Limited to Chicago and then the Empire Builder to Seattle or the Zephy from Chicago to San Francisco or the Super Chief to Los Angeles. The only other east--west run (and back) is to take the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to Los Angeles. Again, I strongly suggest that you go First Class as this ticket level includes all meals, soft drinks, coffee, tea, and newspapers (at a substantial--and I mean SUBSTANTIAL discount to buying these things ala-carte). Also, the long distance trains, by definition, mean lots of time on the rails and I highly suggest getting a room with full bath in a sleeping car. You can still roam the train at will (dining car, lounge/bar car, observatin car, coach cars, etc.). This is the leisurely way to travel and should only be attempted by those who don't have a schedule or timetable to keep. Note: North--South routes are pretty restricted to taking the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Chicago via Kansas City or St. Louis or taking the City of New Orleans from Chicago to New Orleans (and back again). Most long distance trains depart the origination city about three times a week. The best option is to go to: http://www.amtrak.com and take the time to go through (completely) the website to get a firm grasp and idea on schedules, service, pricing, etc. Best wishes and good luck on this quest!!!!

I've done both and both are spectacular. The San Francisco to Chicago Run is on the Zepher and the Seattle to Chicago run is on the Empire Builder. You can't go wrong on either train. I found service and food excellent. I also use a private room with full bath--worth the money considering the length of the trip. Also, and this is just me, I ALWAYS dress to go to the dining car (jacket and tie--no tuxedo) as it adds an extra bit of flair and allows me to "pretend" of more gracious times on the trains.

Apropos of nothing, my great-grandfather was a chef on the empire builder likely back in the 1880's, made enough

$$ to retire and construct a hotel and restaurant and siding 54 of the great northern railroad, which subsequently

became Malta, Montana ... The next siding 100 miles away became Havre.

Thank you, Electra for a great reply. It's definitely tempting and I might consider the train for a 'pleasure' cross-country trip one day when I have more time on my hands. In the meantime I'll stick with the plane and car.

BTW this has turned into a great thread about trains (thank you, Jawja, for starting it). Also it's quite noticeable that one is missing in action: Raul G Manzo ... (where are you, Raul?)

Steven: Thanks!! It would be fun to have "fun" on a train--an extended session!!!

Thank you, Electra for a great reply. It's definitely tempting and I might consider the train for a 'pleasure' cross-country trip one day when I have more time on my hands. In the meantime I'll stick with the plane and car.

BTW this has turned into a great thread about trains (thank you, Jawja, for starting it). Also it's quite noticeable that one is missing in action: Raul G Manzo ... (where are you, Raul?)[/color]

Steven: One of my all time favorite fantasies would be to have an extended session on a train--First Class and with a room in a sleeping car. We would do all the classic train things: breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the dining car and wild s*x in the sleeping car--with the shades up and the lights on as we roll through the countryside and the city scapes! Can you imagine it?? Probably cost a zillion dollars, but what a thought!!

A train trip like you are proposing, Electra, is very possible. Many years ago I had a trip across Canada that was identical to what you are proposing. We had a sleeping car, ate in the Dining Car, with table linens, fine china, good drinks and wine, etc. And at night, well, what can I say... rocking along with two in a berth in a sleeping car adds a lot of fun to the fun!!! Go for it if you can swing it. There are several good trips from Chicago to the West Coast... either on the Northern Route across the plains and Glacier National Park, or the more Southern Route through Denver and west. Check with Amtrak as they can give you routes and prices for this once in a life time adventure... a great bf experience.

DD

Archived