I Need W A G N E R

g56whiz
This topic is 4934 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm not a Wagnarian (they scare me actually) but when lifting weights, I prefer Wagner to the rap or disco drivel I most often hear at the gym. I've been relying on Pandora's Richard Wagner station on my iPhone but it sucks. You'll get a rousing chorus from Die Meistersinger and will be followed by Bernstein's overture to Candide or Trebaldi singing Verdi all of which is good except it doesn't have the umph my lifting needs. Only four or five numbers later do you get another piece by Wagner. Apparently the Music Genome project hasn't figured out that the only thing that should follow Wagner is more Wagner.

What I'm looking for is a recording of Wagner excerpts from iTunes that I can use instead. There's lot's there but I'm a choral guy and want one that has some of the great choruses as well as the great orchestral pieces. What do you suggest. Thanks.

Interestingly, I use Pandora's Chamber Baroque station for my cardio routine. It works well. Locatelli, Gabrelli, Vivaldi et al. seem to use the same swift tempo that makes my routine a breeze.

I'm not a Wagnarian (they scare me actually) but when lifting weights, I prefer Wagner to the rap or disco drivel I most often hear at the gym. I've been relying on Pandora's Richard Wagner station on my iPhone but it sucks. You'll get a rousing chorus from Die Meistersinger and will be followed by Bernstein's overture to Candide or Trebaldi singing Verdi all of which is good except it doesn't have the umph my lifting needs. Only four or five numbers later do you get another piece by Wagner. Apparently the Music Genome project hasn't figured out that the only thing that should follow Wagner is more Wagner.

What I'm looking for is a recording of Wagner excerpts from iTunes that I can use instead. There's lot's there but I'm a choral guy and want one that has some of the great choruses as well as the great orchestral pieces. What do you suggest. Thanks.

Interestingly, I use Pandora's Chamber Baroque station for my cardio routine. It works well. Locatelli, Gabrelli, Vivaldi et al. seem to use the same swift tempo that makes my routine a breeze.

Gee g56whiz, with a name like mine, you'd think I'd be in the same boat.

Well same boat, different captain. For me, it's Mahler. The last movement of symphony #2 or almost all except the Adiago from Symphony #5 can get me to lift a house. If I can't get pumped up by singing along at full blast of "Auferstehen. Ja, Auferstehen" -- especially as Lenny does it I might as well be dead. In fact, I wasn't working out but was just listening to it not more than 2 hours ago. It will never fail to uplift me, and in turn help me lift up mountains.

Although an occasional Shostakovich or Prokofiev will also help.

And the phrase I've sort of adopted as my own personal motto: Bereite dich zu leben -- Prepare yourself to live.

And when people ask what you're listening to at the gym, this is one thing they never see coming.

But when at the gym, to use the phrase from "This is Spinal Tap" I turn it up to 11.

But I'll grant you one thing: we Wagnerians are a scary lot.

But try Mahler. He works for me everytime.

For me, it's Mahler. The last movement of symphony #2 or almost all except the Adiago from Symphony #5 can get me to lift a house. If I can't get pumped up by singing along at full blast of "Auferstehen. Ja, Auferstehen" -- especially as Lenny does it I might as well be dead.
Well Ol' Gustav would really not do it for me personally, but at least you didn't specifically pick the 9th Symphony... or Kindertotenleider... though when you say "almost all except the Adagio from the 5th Symphony" you do imply that you might!!!

Now back to the original question regarding a Wagner compliation... why can't you concoct your own program of your favorite excerpts, put it on your hard drive and then transfer it to your iPhone? That's what I do with my iPod... though not with Wagner... or even Mahler... I'm the guy listening to Callas, Sutherland, and Company... Plus there is nothing like the overture to La Gazza Ladra when you are pumping away on an exercise bike! Though as suggested Vivaldi and Co. are a good bet as well!

Now if I were to do a Wagner compilation it would be virtually all from the Ring... The Gods Entering Valhalla, The infamous Ride, The Farewell and Magic Fire, The Rhine Journey, Sigfried's Funeral, and the Immolation. Plus, I would throw in the Overture to Rienzi and a bit of Tannhäuser and Lohengrin as well.

<channeling Greatness>Oh My!</channeling>

I don't know much of Wagner's music, but given the story line, wouldn't there be likely to be choral numbers in Meistersinger?

I do know the SF Gay Men's chorus took part in a production of Flying Dutchman (and were credited in the program), many

years ago.

Personally I can't listen to classical music while having sex, because it means so much to me that my head get wrapped up

in it and my dick goes limp.

Whipped, ever hear any of Maher's Das Leid von der Erde?

Might change your mind about Mahler songs.

Whipped, ever hear any of Maher's Das Leid von der Erde?

Might change your mind about Mahler songs.

Yes, Das Leid is a very a different kettle of fish... as is his 4th Symphony...

Now I would not really want classical music to be playing while having sex, but the exception might be Holst's The Planets... and specifically "Mars, the bringer of war"... as that would certainly complement a BDSM scene!

On I-Tunes, you can find: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/wagner-choruses/id377077409. That should get you going! Otherwise, if you are looking for something other than Wagner, let me second the recommendation for Prokofiev. If you like chorus, Alexander Nevsky or the music for the film Ivan the Terrible will get you pumped. My personal favorite, however, would be the music for the ballet Romeo and Juliet. That will turn you into an Energizer Bunny on the gym floor (elsewhere, too).

Richard

Well that all changed when Torvil and Dean used it for their ice dancing routine... and the piece was forever tainted!

The duo certainly didn't taint the song. In fact to a certain degree, Torvill and Dean somewhat became synonymous with that particular piece of music, which not only enhanced their routine at the Sarejevo 1984 Winter Olympics to become gold medalists, but also captured the attention of the British public. As a result of this for about a good year or so, loads fo record shops across Britain were inundated with requests to find "Bolero" on LP and early cd's. Offcourse in those days BBC Radio 3 played the song in heavy rotation and that helped in selling the song to the average listener and Ravel's music became popular again

Archived