Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

I remember this one from Kentucky Fried Movie, which I saw as a child when it came out. Although I was probably the youngest person in the audience, I was the first to laugh (i.e. recognize who the "old man" was).

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11081294_10205768984201229_5915791678153296461_n.jpg?oh=45a2b700a0eec68dc522058874dd3131&oe=56526061

This kid ended up being cited as a good example of the "Neville Effect," or when an ugly kid surprisingly grows up to be a handsome adult (Neville Longbottom being the prototype)...

0362bda53f18ae6679bd9652d79eb8fa.jpg

a24f3d597ca3b4944d8f893ba18475cd.jpg

This kid ended up being cited as a good example of the "Neville Effect," or when an ugly kid surprisingly grows up to be a handsome adult (Neville Longbottom being the prototype)...

0362bda53f18ae6679bd9652d79eb8fa.jpg

a24f3d597ca3b4944d8f893ba18475cd.jpg

The Ryans-Gosling and Reynolds-were cute kids. I don't think it was correct for someone to think they wouldn't grow up nicely. I've never been that much a fan of Johnny Depp's looks. Those straight girls can have him.

Gman

AdamSmith, that's from Groove Tube, right? I remember seeing that in 1975. It was hilarious, hearing one, then another person in the theater start laughing as the bit went on, and they realized what Safety Sam really was.

Ding ding ding! Same audience reaction when I saw it. (Unicorn -- it was Groove Tube, not Kentucky Fried Movie.)

Now, bonus question (I really can't remember): Was it Groove Tube, or instead Tunnelvision, that had the parody Vietnam-war news report about fighting in the towns of Llongh Whang and Suc Much Dik?

Or was that in Kentucky Fried Movie?

Oops. You guys are right. It was Groove Tube, and boy was I really young when I sneaked into that one. But I do remember being the first in the theater to laugh. Over four decades ago--I can be forgiven for my faulty memory.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1YDE2bJU5PA/UYOtjzUg_GI/AAAAAAAAA1Y/uGxJK5hZ5EM/s1600/malu.jpg

According to Wikipedia, the movie made over $20 million on a budget of $200,000. Now THAT's a good return on an investment!

Oh, Gman, that salad/pizza joke remind me of all of those 350 pound patient's I've had who, when I try to talk to them about diet, respond "But, doc, all I eat are salads!". I've always fantasized about being able to lock these people into a sanatorium for a month, feeding them nothing but salads, and decrease the portion size by 10% every time they complain... I'd like to compare their weights going in and going out....

Edited by Guest

Oh, Gman, that salad/pizza joke remind me of all of those 350 pound patient's I've had who, when I try to talk to them about diet, respond "But, doc, all I eat are salads!". I've always fantasized about being able to lock these people into sanatorium for a month, feeding them nothing but salads, and decrease the portion size by 10% every time they complain... I'd like to compare their weights going in and going out....

I realize about portion control. But there are the studies about genetically predertermined size. And that some people's set point regarding appetite is off.

Gman

I've always fantasized about being able to lock these people into sanatorium for a month, feeding them nothing but salads, and decrease the portion size by 10% every time they complain

"My object, all sublime, I shall achieve, - in time - to make the punishment fit the crime, the punishment fit the crime".

W. S. Gilbert, c. 1885

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/bar-officially-cannot-be-lowered

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/assets/dist/img/header_graphics/contributors/borowitz.png

Borowitz Report

July 24, 2015

Bar Officially Cannot Be Lowered

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/AP_76843600705-1200.jpg

MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report)—A group of scholars who have been monitoring the descent of the bar over the past few decades have concluded that the bar can no longer be lowered, the scholars announced on Friday.

The academics, led by Professor Davis Logsdon, of the University of Minnesota, published their conclusion after their research definitively found that the bar had finally dropped to its lowest possible position.

“For those who thought the bar still had room to be lowered, our findings resoundingly contradict that assumption,” Logsdon said. “The bar is now essentially flush with the ground.”

Logsdon acknowledged that he and his fellow scholars have come under fire in the past for claiming that the bar could not be further lowered, specifically when they issued a paper to that effect after the selection of the Republican Vice-Presidential nominee in 2008.

“We got that one wrong,” he said. “Clearly, the bar still had a way to go.”

Now that the issue of whether the bar can be further lowered has been settled, Logsdon and his colleagues plan to examine the question of whether there is anything left to scrape at the bottom of the barrel. “Our findings are preliminary, but it appears that the answer is no,” he said.

Get news satire from The Borowitz Report delivered to your inbox.

Ding ding ding! Same audience reaction when I saw it. (Unicorn -- it was Groove Tube, not Kentucky Fried Movie.)

Now, bonus question (I really can't remember): Was it Groove Tube, or instead Tunnelvision, that had the parody Vietnam-war news report about fighting in the towns of Llongh Whang and Suc Much Dik?

Or was that in Kentucky Fried Movie?

KFM also had "A Fistful of Yen", the parody of Bruce Lee movies, with the Dating Game style introduction of the contestants for the martial arts tournament; named "Long Wang", "Hung Well", and "Enormous Genitals".

I posted this in another thread about a month ago. I'm reposting it here in this thread now because

#1. I know this sounds stupid. But at the time I posted it, it wasn't a Friday. And I didn't realize you didn't have to wait for Friday to post things in this thread.

#2. My thread was only looked at by 71 people. So I figured there might be some people who routinely look at this thread and might enjoy it who never looked at my original thread.

#3. I've watched it over 10 times at this point, and it still makes me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2puwRopD8E

Gman

http://new4.fjcdn.com/pictures/Sassy_88ee71_5471396.jpg

http://new4.fjcdn.com/pictures/Sassy_14e4aa_5471396.jpg

eb4fb8960a64bf9a6b20530160cb9850.jpg

2413cef4f94fb246ebc2ff29d20c5a39.jpg

;)

The last one reminds me that when I visited Mount Vernon three years ago (for the first time) I learned that between Washington's fame, status as local leader, and the hospitality practices of the time, he and Martha had guests at the dinner table throughout his presidency and well into his retirement from public office. Just imagine never being able to sit down to dinner by yourself.