Seattle area

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 5053 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello. I will be in Seattle for meetings early in August. I thought I would stay over an extra day or so and see the city. I also thought I would get a car and drive through to Port Townsend.

Any advice on things to dee and do would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there -

If you've never been to Seattle before here's a quick rundown on things to do:

1) Space Needle

2) Pike Place Market - Be sure to get some Clam Chowder

3) Ride the Ducks - It's cheesy, but at least you get to see Seattle

4) Take a Ferry to Bainbridge Island and back

If you like art, I would recommend going down to Tacoma and checking out the Museum of Glass as well as the adjacent Bridge of Glass filled with a bunch of pieces by Dale Chihuly. There's also the Traver Gallery next door that has an eclectic selection of artists.

And of course, if you want to experience something you'll always remember, call Miguel del Toro...lol.

Have a safe trip and I hope you enjoy yourself while here!

Port Townsend should take several hours to get to, because you have to either take the ferry to Bremerton and drive from there, or drive all around the south end of Puget Sound, or drive north and across the islands. Twice I have arrived there from the north via ferry from Whidby Island, probably the nicest way to arrive. It is a charming site, but there is not a whole lot to do once you are there, except enjoy the scenery. I actually considered retiring there, but my partner nixed it after one day.

As for riding the Ducks, check the news stories out of Philadelphia first. (To be fair, I have ridden the Ducks in Philly and enjoyed it, even though it was pretty hokey.)

If you're going to be AT the space needle anyway, the Experience Music Project and SciFi museum are fun if you're into either music or scifi.

If you're into aviation, the Boeing museum can be fun too.

And, of course, you could treat Daddy to dinner! :cool:

Archived