Hey, I just got the new IKEA catalogue

mmk
This topic is 7961 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What more could a gay man want than an hour or two looking at new Swedish furniture?

My question is (just to start a very light hearted but fun post) what catalogues do you get regularly that you like? I definateley like Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel(how can you be gay and not enjoy them). I do like Snoopy, Etc (a catalogue filled with nothing but Peanuts stuff) but have not received one in a while.

Okay, what other catalogue's do we like and are cluttering up our magazine racks?

>>A&F isn't half bad. :9

>

>

>Go ahead, guys, top THAT one. }>

>

>Dick

Can't top A&F for sure, but I 'm a gadget guy, so I like Hammcher Schlemmer for the latest high tech toys. For some reason, I'm not too high on IKEA. Used to have a large IKEA store near where I lived, and I thought the stuff was poorly made and more for furnishing college dormitories than a home. Pottery Barn & Crate & Barrel are cool, though. And of course, Williams Sonoma.

Guest Brady YoungE

When I was going to a strict religious school I would LOVE to read the International Male catalog. Wouldn't buy one thing in the catalog but would lust after the hot guys on the pages. One time in Seattle I saw what I thought was one of the models I had lusted after for about 2 years. I didn't say anything to him but he came up to me and started a conversation. 3 Hours later we were at his apartment basking in "afterglow". I then inquired as to whether it was really him in the magazine and he proceeded to show me tons of modeling photo shoots he had been involved in. To this day, I still get a big grin when I see his gorgeous body in those ridiculous outfits. YUM! NOW...if I could just get this to happen with the guys in A and F !

Is Sharper Image the Western version of Hammacher Schlemmer?

From back in my drag days, I still get a kick out of Foot Traffic! They are so camp it is difficult to think of anyone other than a teenage girl wearing them with a "straight face."

And I don't remember the name of it, but there is a really neat one that has nothing but dragons in it.

And, of course, medieval weapons catalogues try to fascinate me, and would succeed if their swords, etc. all had no edge. I know that the Creative Anachronism type guys are into different things than us Stage Combat guys but I hate to think of them actually hurting one another.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets off on catalogues that carry nothing but other catalogues!

Guest miketx

>What more could a gay man want than an hour or two looking

>at new Swedish furniture?

I thought I was the only guy (other then Ed Norton in Fight Club) that got excited over this. It is now prominently displayed in the "reading room".

I also get inappropriate tinglings from Designs Toscano.

Miketx

Guest SeaGuy

Unless you're decorating on an extreme budget and/or you're just looking for disposable stuff that you intend to throw away in short order, stay away from IKEA. As others have noted the quality is atrocious to put it mildly. On the upside it's the only stuff in it's price range that displays any design sense. It's sort of the Gap for furniture if you will. ;-)

Guest lipstick

Well, for me it has always been the Ethan Allen catalog.

My place is filled with the stuff. I like their pieces because they're not TOO over the top. My living room is Biedermeier and the bedrooms are more comtemporary.

Problem is that if you aren't an "active" buying customer, they drop you off of their list, and how many pieces of theirs (I mean this stuff is supposed to last for generations!!!) can one continually buy, fer Christ's sake!!!

:p

When I first read the topic-- I thought-- who gives a "flying fuck"!

Then I began to read the threads, and in his usual sense, our friend and thread-laureate had to bring in some sexual undertones; or can they be interpreted as overtones? I don't know. I shall not bitch. I shall list mine!

Unfortunately, I have been receiving quite a few cat'logs: PB, CB, Room and Board, WS, HS, Sharper Image, Neiman Marcus (MARKUPS), Bloomies, Magellan and Travel Smith (both carry travel gear), and Sundance. These are just some of the titles, but my favorite one is SUNDANCE.

I like their picturesque, artistic covers and most of the OVERPRICED merchandise although I have been able to make selective purchases.

I like the covers so much that I think I will have some of them framed and then placed in my study. I AM NOT BEING PRETENTIOUS. The man asked for catalogs one receives and which one or more is one's favorite, so I did what I asked although I am still baffled by this thread.

Guest Thunderbuns

>Well, for me it has always been the Ethan Allen catalog.

Well - that's a cut above IKEA, and EA's "stuff" doesn't fall apart in two weeks.

>Problem is that if you aren't an "active" buying customer,

>they drop you off of their list,

If you're "dropped" you can always go into one of their stores and get the latest one. They are supposed to charge you 15 bucks for it (at least in Canada that's the going rate) but if a salesperson thinks you are going to be a buyer and therefor put commission dollars in their pocket, they'll give it to you for free.

Thunderbuns

In support of your framing and hanging those magazine covers, I have a revolving gallery in my bathroom of images (mostly from magazines, mostly actually from advertising). There are twelve frames and I change out the pictures in them weekly, replacing about a third or so of them each week. And, ya know my memory, but don't I remember that the Victorian (or neo Victorian) houses I've toured have something similar, only most of their images are older to fit the mood of the house?

Archived