The Elaborate Exit of Mr. Lucky

purplekow
This topic is 5100 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As per a recommendation of Lucky, one of his final, or so it seems, I decided to see The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity. This production is at an off Broadway venue of the Second Stage Company on 43rd between 8th and 9th. A Pulitzer Prize finalist, the play was originally read and put to stage in Chicago. Some of the Chicago cast has come for the limited run in New York ending on June 20.

I enjoyed the play immensely. Essentially a farce, the surface of the show is a recollection of a Puerto Rican wrestler on the events which led to his being a wrestler and a particular series of events which lead to a dramatic point in his artistic career. Much of the play is made up of long monologues delivered at breakneck pace and packed with amusing and

downright hysterical references to everything from Derek Jeter to Tony the Tiger. In fact, in an after the play discussion attended by all of the cast and the director, the audience members in attendance were told that the cast was urged to be as fast as they could in their delivery and that breathing was optional. The deeper threads of this tapestry involve race and class in the United States, how it is sold to us on TV and the willingness of the public to accept stereotypes presented to them with almost complete disgard for the offensive manner in which that presentation is made.

The actors were uniformly excellent. The staged wrestling was well staged but it was obvious it was staged, except when it was supposed to be real , in which case it appeared real. The cast of six included four who wrestled at some point, three of whom had the usual attributes of television wrestlers, big muscles and tight shorts.

I am going again. I went with a friend who is not into wrestling at all but still gave it a positive review on the political presentation.

For me, the last 15 minutes did not fit with the rest of the production. It was a bit too preachy and a bit too earnest but I am going to go again if just to see the "Elaborate Entrance of Chad Diety"

I second your recommendation, pk. I saw the show last week and thought it was very entertaining and fun, while still making its points and getting you to think about identity politics.

Also, a shout-out to the Second Stage Theater Company, which puts on a consistent string of interesting, well-presented plays, of which this is only the most recent. If you live in or near New York and like the theater, consider taking a subscription there and supporting the Company. You won't be disappointed.

And let's hope that Lucky just needs some time away from the forum and that he comes back soon, better than ever.

Archived