Public Sex Solicitation: Why Risk It?

CowboyUp
This topic is 5124 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Why do so many gay or bisexual men publicly solicit other men for sex, risking the loss of their reputations, careers and much more? A former Dallas, TX news anchor who is now the top media spokesman for Southwest Airlines was arrested this week for doing just that. Full story: http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/329cd8b359e158962c12e8c464fa7c52-1538.html

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/page5_blog_entry886_1.jpg

as with the Minneapolis Airport Larry Craig case, there probably were many complaints from the public about weird stuff going on, thus the sting campaign in the airport bathroom and this Dallas park.....

there's no doubt, of course, this Hawkins guy was out looking for sex...his lawyer will argue entrapment and all that, but the deed happened in a public park...and that's what upsets the average Joe Citizen and gets the police into a campaign to end it....

the comments after the article are generally pro-Hawkins and indicate he's a nice guy...this has got to be very stressful for him and I hope he can get past it....will probably lose his SWA job.....he had to know the risk, but the human animal is hard-wired for sex.....

Police Have Nothing Better to Do?

If Brad Hawkins was to be arrested, it should have been right then and there, not a few hours later at his home. Doesn’t the Dallas Police Department have anything more important to do (like looking for murderers, drug-dealers and thieves) rather than cruising parks after dark and entrapping citizens? For Heavens sake, leave these people alone! Mr. Hawkins is sexy--this officer should have considered it a compliment.

Judge Not...

I used to watch Brad Hawkins on the local news back when I lived in Dallas--he seemed like a very likable guy and fair-minded news reporter. I feel bad for him. Hopefully his employer and the broader community will not judge him too harshly for this first-offense. If ALL of our lives were an open book, we’d all be much kinder and more forgiving to each other. Let’s hope that we are as quick and thorough to forgive and move on as some of us are quick to judge.

I used to watch Brad Hawkins on the local news back when I lived in Dallas--he seemed like a very likable guy and fair-minded news reporter. I feel bad for him. Hopefully his employer and the broader community will not judge him too harshly for this first-offense. If ALL of our lives were an open book, we’d all be much kinder and more forgiving to each other. Let’s hope that we are as quick and thorough to forgive and move on as some of us are quick to judge.

Goodfella69, I completely agree with you! It is too, too unfortunate that men can't solicit sex publicly without having to be concerned with any of those horrible repercussions.

When I was in my early 30s and living in Melbourne, Australia, I solicited sex publicly when I went to Sydney and knew where the "meat rack" was located. ...went there occasionally and connected. Fortunately, I did not encounter any of the "fuzz" on the prowl in order to "jack UP" somebody big time!

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg

I'm curious to know.

Do the police in Texas similarly make arrests of straight couples for public lewdness, who in their amorous gropings make clear sexual advances towards one another? (Perhaps the male's hand cups a female breast while their tongues are checking out each other's tonsils.)

Likewise, do they send out straight undercover female cops looking to capture horny straight males?

If not, seems like clear discrimination.

So much time and energy wasted on something so unnecessary.:mad:

If Brad Hawkins was to be arrested, it should have been right then and there, not a few hours later at his home. Doesn’t the Dallas Police Department have anything more important to do (like looking for murderers, drug-dealers and thieves) rather than cruising parks after dark and entrapping citizens? For Heavens sake, leave these people alone! Mr. Hawkins is sexy--this officer should have considered it a compliment.

I am utterly disgusted to read something like this.

Ok, I know this is the media...and things written may or may not be true. But I'm going to pretend like it is. I dont think Dallas cops have anything better to do...I got pulled over 1 night just for having an out of state tag. Too bad they didn't find any drugs :(

But it just sounds stupid. Its like a total setup. I'm sure there's public sex that goes on at the parks, but still...it said nothing about anyone taking off clothes. You have 2 consenting adults here. And then he waits til he goes home. The system is screwed up...nowadays, anybody can land in jail unless they hide under a box.

I guess its just illegal to be gay in some places. Thats all it is. Haters! :p

I got pulled over 1 night just for having an out of state tag.

not to be cynical, but there's gotta be more to the story than THAT.....I've driven in TX and other states with an out-of-state tag and never gotten pulled over.....do you think they were profiling?.....thanks

not to be cynical, but there's gotta be more to the story than THAT.....I've driven in TX and other states with an out-of-state tag and never gotten pulled over.....do you think they were profiling?.....thanks

Not think...I know. I never have any issues with my out of state tag here in Texas, but around Oaklawn and Highland Park they're a bit wacky when it comes to unfamilars.

Otherwise, thats all to the story. I used my signal, turned a corner and boom...the 4th of July parade lit up behind me.

Sad Reminder: Tennessee Gay Sex Sting at "Man Cave"...

This thread reminded me of a 2008 police public sex sting in Johnson City, TN netted 40 men--all of whom had their photos released to the public, something not the norm for Johnson City's PD in other similar situations. The reason these men were hung out to dry is because they were engaging in same-sex (albeit, illegal) activity. BTW, I've been to Johnson City, and let's just say it's not exactly a welcoming place to be queer or a person of color.

Here's the view of the sting from the Johnson City Press:

The undercover investigation, conducted primarily in Winged Deer and Buffalo Mountain parks, is just the beginning for authorities, who say homosexual activities there have become a "serious problem."

..."Part of this took place off the paved trails. There's a thing out there (at Winged Deer Park) they've evidently termed the 'Man Cave,' " Lowry said. "It's a good way off the paved trail. It's underbrush that's grown up and resembles a cave." According to investigators, men frequent the Man Cave at all times of day specifically to take part in sexual activities with other men.

During their investigation, undercover officers often would strike up a conversation with a man who was approaching the trail leading to the Man Cave. The conversation quickly would turn sexual and, many times, led to proposals for sex, police said.

...At least two of the men hold positions of trust within a community. Brent T. Leach, 52, of Johnson City, reportedly works as a teacher within the Johnson City school system while police said Robert E. Riley, 55, of Rogersville, is a pastor at a Rogersville church.

And, given the conservative communities in this region, it's likely most of these men identify as heterosexual. In the case of Kenneth Giles, 54, he was swept up in the sting and his life has fallen apart:

"I just thought I was in trouble for urinating in public," he said.

Police allege that Giles exposed himself to an undercover officer. They charged him with indecent exposure and disorderly conduct but did more than just arrest him. Before Giles and the other men were convicted, police released the names, photos and addresses of everyone who had been arrested.

On his way to court, Mr. Giles saw his picture in the newspaper and front page headlines. "I was horrified," he said. He says he was told to plead guilty and did so to avoid a harsher punishment that would have come had Giles pled innocent and then been found guilty. Afterward, his employer fired him. "When I lost my job over it my wife was so upset and distraught and distressed that she had a major heart attack," said Giles, whose wife died shortly after ABC News interviewed him. "Right now, it's just about destroyed my life."

Another man, also outed by the police, committed suicide.

Guest ChgoBoy

cruising trails in parks and around certain beaches have always provided anonymous and public sex opportunities for gay men.

But often times, personal discretion and respect for other peoples private and residential property gets thrown out the window in the hunt for a quickie - particularly late at night after people have been visiting bars and the like.

In Chicago, Elaine place, which is one block East of Halsted Street in boystown is a perfect example of this. It is a one block residential street with private homes and condo buildings. Late at night you can, and will find guys having sex in between these buildings on private property with no regard to the fact that these are peoples homes. The street itself, on certain nights, looks more like a cruising area than it does a place where people live with their families.

As complaints compile, sting operations and undercover cops patrol this area to curtail such activity. If you are a homeowner, and constantly find used condoms and various other sorts of littering on your property, you can understand why people often find themselves in embarrassing situation with law enforcement.

When public outdoor areas begin resembling the inside of a gay bath house, you can probably expect, and should assume, that Johnny law won't be far behind you.

It's should always be about discretion and respect for the public surroundings you are in.

When public outdoor areas begin resembling the inside of a gay bath house, you can probably expect, and should assume, that Johnny Law won't be far behind you.

It's should always be about discretion and respect for the public surroundings you are in.

I'd love to have Johnny Law behind me! But in the privacy of my bedroom.

Archived