iPhone OS4

g56whiz
This topic is 5082 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hahahaha!

Those of you accustomed to reading Andy Towle's Towleroad blog should note that in addition to his annual Independence Day holiday, posts may be slow because HIS MAC CRASHED.

You know, that thing that never happens. :eek:

HAHA!

I missed you!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My worst fears . . .

They cam true yesterday.

Courtesy of Deej and Romann, I got my iPhone 3S upgraded to the new 04 operating system and yesterday got my first "push" ad made possible via this new technology. In fact I got three of them. They came in the form of a text message containing a phone number and two buttons: call / Ignore. I ignored the first but bit on the second. I was connected to a canned phone message offering to connect me to the appropriate lawyer to meet my legal needs. I didn't now I had any need of a lawyer so I hung up. When the third message arrived, I again ignored it. I suppose, despite the 877 area code, I'm at least liable for the message unit/air time. This sucks! Oh and I sometimes have to turnoff the phone completely to close Pandora.

OK guys, how do I revert back to O/S3?

Revert

OK guys, how do I revert back to O/S3?

Assuming you haven't done a backup since you last updated the software, you should be able to open iTunes, click on your iPhone icon and do a restore. If my memory serves me correctly, it gives you a handful of dates to restore to.

The new advertising does not include text messaging in any way, shape, or form. I fear you would have received those without the new OS.

Throwing out the baby with the bathwater seems a little rash. From the Pandora FAQ:

How do I quit out of Pandora once it is running in the background? Double-tap the home button, and find Pandora in the list of "backgrounded" apps that will appear along the bottom edge of the screen. Hold your finger on the Pandora icon until an "x" appears. Touch the "x" to close the Pandora app. However, as below, except to prevent clutter, you may simply wish to leave Pandora paused when not in use.

What impact does leaving Pandora paused in the background have?

Almost none. There is no impact at all on battery life or CPU performance while Pandora is paused. Similarly, although a small amount of memory is used to keep Pandora in the background, iOS4 can intelligently manage this to prevent any performance impact.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure to pause Pandora-- instead of turning down the volume-- when you are done listening for a while.

http://blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/1132.html

You guys are swift.

Deej, I was speaking from a non-techie point of view. I meant looks like not is a text message. Moreover, I've just gotten another message and need to correct my description. It looks like the error message you get if you enter the wrong password when you buy an app from the app store. On top you get the direction: "Call 877-288-3654?" and bellow the buttons "Cancel" on the left and "Call" on the right. Of course the "Call" button is lit.

What ever it is, it's something unsolicited, being "pushed" to me at my expense and it pisses me off.

But because you're such nice guys I'll forestall going back to O/S3 for now.

Never knew about the double home button trick: one among the legions of things I don't know about my iPhone. Say Romann, when we finally meet, how much would you charge for an additional hour of iPhone coaching/mentoring? I discovered that most of my app were running in the background - even a game I haven't played in 4 months and the NYC subway map I haven't visited since May. I closed them all. Maybe now my battery will last more than half a day.

Wish you hadn't clued me into the Pandora blog. That Musical Genome Project bit gets me very very angry. It's pretty good for Chamber > Baroque which I use for my cardio work at the gym. It's also OK for Mahler, Bruckner and a few more specialty ancient music genres but it is totally f--ked up when it comes to Wagner which I use for the pumping iron part of my exercise routine (those Nazis were not stupid!). But I've had great choruses from Die Meistersinger or Fliegende Holländer followed by Bizet, or Verdi or even the overture from Bernstein's Candide. It's a dangerous transition when you're pushing too much iron cuz you've been over motivated by the Wagner. How can there be any meaningful connection to anything Wagnerian except Wagner (oh and maybe Engelbert Humperdinck). I mean really . . . .

Deej, I was speaking from a non-techie point of view. I meant looks like not is a text message. Moreover, I've just gotten another message and need to correct my description. It looks like the error message you get if you enter the wrong password when you buy an app from the app store. On top you get the direction: "Call 877-288-3654?" and bellow the buttons "Cancel" on the left and "Call" on the right. Of course the "Call" button is lit.

That does indeed sound like a text message and it does NOT come from the Apple iAd platform which places banners inside applications. ONLY.

You've run afoul of someone doing push-advertising that is marginal on the legality side. Nothing to do with the OS.

Never knew about the double home button trick: one among the legions of things I don't know about my iPhone.

Because it's new to iOS4? :rolleyes:

You guys are swift.
Deej is quite impressive with his knowledge of the new OS. I think he just might be an undercover Apple fan! :eek::p

What ever it is, it's something unsolicited, being "pushed" to me at my expense and it pisses me off.

Contact customer support and give them the number and they should be able to go into their system and block it from sending you text messages. I had this issue with Sprint before and that was how the agent resolved it. I just informed them that I was being texted with advertisements that I didn't ask for nor wanted..

Never knew about the double home button trick: one among the legions of things I don't know about my iPhone. Say Romann, when we finally meet, how much would you charge for an additional hour of iPhone coaching/mentoring?

To have the chance to dazzle someone who IS interested in the iPhone and all its capabilities, there is no charge! I would be more than happy to sit down with you in any forum and show you some tricks that I have learned. The double-tap home button is great! I think that along with the screen resolution are my two favorite upgrades. Now I can be texting and sending emails without backing out of the applications completely.

I'm still on the fence post about the folders options. While I'm all about having a screen free of clutter, now that I've organized everything, my home page looks lonely. :p

Archived