Julia Child

foxy
This topic is 3114 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest greatness

Thanks!

I hope she win Oscar for her role as Julia~~ :)

If you liked Meryl Streep as Julia Child in "Julie & Julia" you'll love the 3 dvd set of the original shows, "The French Chef".

Guest greatness

oh my

Yes. I am going to watch Golden Globe tonight. I hope she wins~~ :)

I agree with you about Meryl and the Oscar, greatness. It will also be interesting to see if Streep wins the Golden Globe for "Best Actress-Comedy/Musical" tonight.

Guest greatness

She won!

She won! She is such a great actress...

I agree with you about Meryl and the Oscar, greatness. It will also be interesting to see if Streep wins the Golden Globe for "Best Actress-Comedy/Musical" tonight.

Guest greatness

I agree

I love Julia Child. We were just amazed how Meryl Streep could imitate the real Julia Child. Anyways, Thanks for informing us about The French Chef. I'll definitely look into it. :)

So, no one cares about the real Julia Child? Even if you don't like cooking shows, "The French Chef" is so much fun to watch. She was the inspiration for the film after all.

My Life in France

But if you want the real skinny on Julia Child, read her memoir, "My Life in France," which provided the source material for the Julia portions of the movie. The book is very entertaining and full of interesting photos.

And how come, in connection with that movie, nobody mentions Stanley Tucci. He was absolutely heartwarming as Paul Child, Julia's husband. And a gorgeous man to boot...

Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg

I agree.....

And how come, in connection with that movie, nobody mentions Stanley Tucci. He was absolutely heartwarming as Paul Child, Julia's husband. And a gorgeous man to boot...

I agree. A significant portion of the charm of the movie was the interaction between Streep and Tucci. It was a classic demonstration of 1+1=3 (or the whole is greater than the sum of the parts)

• 5 years later...

for those visiting DC and who have time to visit the incredible Smithsonian American History Museum (my favorite spot in DC), Julia Child's kitchen (removed three years ago, but now back on display) is available for viewing.....in fact, the new exhibit on Food in America from 1950 to 2000 is a hoot

http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/food

for those visiting DC and who have time to visit the incredible Smithsonian American History Museum (my favorite spot in DC), Julia Child's kitchen (removed three years ago, but now back on display) is available for viewing.....

http://amhistory.si.edu/juliachild/flash_home.asp

http://amhistory.si.edu/juliachild/jck/html/textonly/default.asp

Four things related to the incomparable Julia Child...

1. My Life in France is a truly delightful read (not least because of the love story of Julia and Paul). It's one of the books I've picked up more than once, reading parts of it over again when I am in between other books. It's always a pleasure.

2. I am lucky enough t0 have a Significant Other who occasionally takes the time and makes the effort (and has the skill) to prepare Julia's boeuf bourguigon. AND I AM GRATEFUL!

3. Thanks to azdr0710 for the reference to the Food in America exhibit. I am headed to DC for several days over Thanksgiving.

4. And a question for AdamSmith: Is my memory playing tricks on me, Adam, or was there another thread in which you (I think it was you) made a reference to once asking Julia about something or other? And, if so, was it a passing encounter, or did you hang out, cook and eat together? Details please.

1. My Life in France is a truly delightful read (not least because of the love story of Julia and Paul). It's one of the books I've picked up more than once, reading parts of it over again when I am in between other books. It's always a pleasure.

Yes!!

4. And a question for AdamSmith: Is my memory playing tricks on me, Adam, or was there another thread in which you (I think it was you) made a reference to once asking Julia about something or other? And, if so, was it a passing encounter, or did you hang out, cook and eat together? Details please.

I think I posted that I asked her one time whether this postcard, which one sees on the Internet, was for real:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jX9QklC3G4E/SoAxOIJagWI/AAAAAAAABoI/6t7YQI1EoE0/s400/Postcard.jpg

She said yes, they sent this out one year.

Alas I didn't know her well enough to get an invitation to her dinners or anything like that. We happened to have a mutual friend in Cambridge (where I lived for 28 years) at whose cocktail parties and dinner parties I got to know her just a little bit, as one does in meeting people in that kind of setting.

Alas I didn't know her well enough to get an invitation to her dinners or anything like that. We happened to have a mutual friend in Cambridge (where I lived for 28 years) at whose cocktail parties and dinner parties I got to know her just a little bit, as one does in meeting people in that kind of setting.

Having a serious pang of envy right now! The envy might have required medical attention if you'd been invited to the house for dinner!

I was in Harvard Square one day walking along the sidewalk. At this particular stretch of the sidewalk the bricks where uneven and easy to trip over. Well Ms. Child tripped over one and fell right on top of me. She was a very large women. Not fat just large. I helped her up, exchanged some kind words and off she went. She wasn't the least bit frazzled by it, but I was.

I was in Harvard Square one day walking along the sidewalk. At this particular stretch of the sidewalk the bricks where uneven and easy to trip over. Well Ms. Child tripped over one and fell right on top of me ... She wasn't the least bit frazzled by it ...

Better a fallen self than a fallen soufflé. :)

Having a serious pang of envy right now! The envy might have required medical attention if you'd been invited to the house for dinner!

Although (to broaden this from Julia) Cambridge was quite the place for this kind of thing. At a small supper party at that same hostess's house one night, I found myself standing around the piano singing old show tunes with Laurence Tribe, David Gergen, and Mr. Justice Breyer. Of course who was tickling the ivories for us but one Tom Lehrer. (Whom we knew better than to ask to play any of his own songs. Only our hostess could get him to do that, and no more than one per evening. You could tell he felt like the performing seal when he did that. Although he was happy to talk, one on one, about his songs, how he felt things had gotten almost too dire for satire any longer, and the historical and current state of satirical songs and performers.)

Archived