HP Tech Support

Lucky
This topic is 2122 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

SO I wrote to ask about the black smudge on my computer screen. The tech guy says, restart the computer, press repeatedly on the F10 key, check for the visibility of the faulty pixel, press the F10 key to save the settings and exit. Select YES by using the arrow keys, and then press enter. Computer will automatically restart.

So I did, after first writing to ask him if he was serious. Nothing at all happened. SO I googled the F10 key and found that it has no purpose.

Anyone care to tell me what is going on? The tech asks me to

"Kindly get back to us with the results of the above steps, so that we are in a better position to do the needful."

His second suggestion is as follows:

Monitor Self Test

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Disconnect the VGA/HDMI cable from the back of the Monitor.

3. Turn on the computer and check if you are getting message ‘No Input Signal’.

4. If you get the above message it means that the Monitor is fine.

But, if the monitor is fine, why do I have the pixel problem? (MY question, his font)

I've had similar support experiences with Dell in the last week so I feel your pain. At one point he wanted me to reboot my WiFi router to see if the computer could then find its wifi card until I pointed out the other computers using the router were fine and I didn't want to knock them off line.

That computer was returned to the store. Twice. The first time it worked fine in the store.

I've done tech support so I can appreciate the mind-reading act these guys are attempting but I'd appreciate it a lot more if they'd apply a little LOGIC from time to time.

It sounds like he was trying to get you to do someting in the BIOS setup initially, where F10 *might* have had meaning. Don't know. They're different on each computer. The 2nd suggestion is flat-out pointless. (And the BIOS fiddling only has meaning if the BIOS setup has some sort of video diagnostic. Most don't.)

If this is a stand-alone monitor, take it to Staples or Best Buy and have them plug it into another computer to see whether the dead spot is your video card or the monitor itself. That is the end of the testing that you can do yourself.

If it's bothersome enough, you need to turn the thing over to a repair technician. There is no software setting anywhere. There is nothing the user can do about dead spots on a monitor.

Thanks, deej, I will take it over to Best Buy.

You called the problem a "smudge", which sounds to me like it's a larger artifact than just one bad pixel, or even a few. Some monitor manufacturers tell you that they won't be responsible for a bad pixel or two; that it's just part of the draw. But a "smudge" sounds like a component or manufacturing flaw, and they should be responsible for that. Actually, they should be responsible for bad pixels too, in my opinion, but you may have to be a bit more determined in your request.

I'd suggest checking your specific model number on Google, searching for "smudge problem" or "pixel problem". If you find other owners with the same problem, it may help you in getting a satisfactory resolution from Best Buy.

For example, if your monitor model has lots of problems with dead pixels, you may want them to exchange it for a different model. Or, if you see a bunch of issues with smudges, it may be a specific serial number range that has the problem, and you'll want a replacement from a newer serial number range. I have a Sony TV model that was reported to have an issue with "clouds" in dark scenes; the problem was limited to units produced before December, 2007, so I made sure to get one manufactured after that date.

Just a few bits of hard-won experience, and all good wishes. As always, it pays to be an informed shopper! :)

Edited by Lookin

After putting me through the hoops, I have established to the satisfaction of HPTech Support that I am entitled to a replacement monitor. However, they inform me that since my warranty is expired, I get nothing. I am appealing that to a supervisor since the damage is so egregious and would not likely have shown up right away.

HP Asses

So HP Tech Support was finally convinced that the monitor was bad. But, they said since I bought it more than a year ago, tough luck.

I countered that a defect not caused by me that showed up later should still be remedied. They said, tough luck.

I offered to accept a $100 rebate on the purchase of another HP monitor with the understanding that if they said no, I would never buy another HP product. They declined. Assholes.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky, if you purchased the pc and monitor with a Visa or Mastercard, your warranty may have been extended by the credit card company beyond the manufacturer's warranty. Worth a thought.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DuchessIvanaKizznhugg

Just clarifying.......

Yeah!! I love stories where the tenacious little guy wins out.

MsGuy, and by "little guy", I'm sure you weren't referring to the size of Lucky's....um...er....all-beef thermometer.:eek: (Besides, I've heard he's a grower not a shower!)

:D

• 8 years later...