Broadway shows

Steven_Draker
This topic is 5284 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guys, I'm back in the Big Apple for 6 more days and I'm looking for some recommendations for Broadway shows. I'm a bit out-of-touch with what's on right now.

I prefer musicals over plays and something funny and entertaining rather than drama.

Thanks for any recommendation you may have.

Cheers, Steven ~

"South Pacific"

If you haven't yet seen "South Pacific," do see it. It remains a towering work. I saw it for the third time in September and the production remained on the mark. You'll have a chance to see Paulo Szot, who, I believe, leaves next month.

Let us know what you see and what you think of what you see.

I would go with South Pacific at Lincoln Center if you wanted to see a classic. Plus it was directed by Bartlett Scher, which means very high standards. However, tickets may be hard to get and/or pricey.

Otherwise I am told that Memphis which deals with the early days of Rock and Roll is a good bet and is reasonably priced.

I asked about a little night music and everyone has seemed very positive. Plus Angela Lansbury is one of the last great boradway diva's. South pacific was a wonderful revival and I echo that choice. Of course Wicked is always fun. Have not seen the latest cast but if you want a big blockbuster and haven't done it already its a hell of a new musical as compared to revival.

With a grain of salt, and maybe some tequila and lime. I had a client tell me Burn the Floor was amazing. Remember Im just passing that one along, cannot comment directly.

I'd suggest....

Fela, a vibrant new musical about Nigerian funk musican Fela Kuti. It has great music and lots of terrific dancing. A wonderful night of musical theater!

The Understudy. A funny play with a good cast.

Finian's Rainbow. A more traditional Broadway musical with a lovely score and great cast.

Ragtime. this revivial got good reviews and i'm seeing it Thursday evening.

By all means avoid David Mamet's newest piece of crap called Race. It was a big disappointmnet and not even James Spader could save this short three act boring drama.

If you're interested Burn The Floor and Bye, Bye Birdie might be of interest.

Enjoy!

ED

Guest LeoWalker
Of course Wicked is always fun. Have not seen the latest cast but if you want a big blockbuster and haven't done it already its a hell of a new musical as compared to revival.

I don't generally keep playbills because they tend to fill my suitcase but wiki says the current Elphaba is Dee Roscioli. Saw the production last weekend...as far as I could tell, she was amazing. First time, though. I went back and watched the original perform Defying Gravity at one of the award shows and still thought Roscioli did a better job.

--------------------

I second that you see Wicked, if you haven't already, and are able to get tickets. Otherwise, Hair has been on my list for a while (if you enjoy "hippie" music). Some of my favorite songs from there are Goodmorning Starshine and The Age of Aquarius.

Guest LeoWalker
I hear Hamlet with Jude Law is amazing too !!

Jude Law was amazing. The rest of the cast was fairly accessory. I think I wrote a post about this somewhere...but much of what the ghost/father said was not understandable...as in I could not distinguish the words he was speaking. But, it's definitely a drama...and though they've added a little bit to make it more funny...I couldn't classify it as that.

Shows

I'm pretty sure you've seen the ones that have been open for multiple years - Wicked, Jersey Boys, Billy, etc.

I will second or third South Pacific if you haven't seen it. Its old fashioned, but superbly produced with an orchestra that nobody else on Broadway(this is considerd Broadway even though its Lincoln Center) could do. And surprisingly both the original leads are back in, Paolo after several breaks for prior commitments and Kelli after maternity leave.

For mindless musical entertainment - Rock of Ages - plot is a throw away- but really enjoyed the music-this is truly a juke box musical with rock score from the hits of the eighty's. I got a 4th row seat, 3 seats from the aisle on the side, at TKTS

Ragtime - this is a scaled back version of one of my favorite shows. Haven't seen this production, but it has gotten excellent reviews and I will see it if it doesn't close before I get there. Seats seem to be very readily available as its just opened and there has been a lot of speculation/rumors/call them what you may, that it may not make it past New Years. If you haven't seen this show before I highly recommend it, even without seeing this particular production. It is a complex story line, and even though a synopsis of the plot my be a downer, they show really isn't.

Fela - as described above-very dance heavy-in fact they cancelled Sunday evening performance due to multiple injuries

Burn the Floor - totally dance, and ballroom based dance at that. But totally energetic cast and they show plenty of skin. Even most of the ladies have 6 pack abs. Not very long only about 2 hours if I remember correctly(2:15 with intermission). Fast numbers-jive, paso doble,etc - more memorable than the slow -waltzes.

Next to Normal - good reviews and great performance by the lead, but not an upbeat musical, Mother descending into mental illness and its affect on the family. Starts slow but it draws you in.

A little Night Music - I'm hearing mixed things- haven't seen it yet myself. Angela and Catherine Zeta Jones probably the reasons to go see. Apparently scaled back sets, orchestra and lighting are turning some people off. Sondheim, if you like go see; if not- probably a pass. "Send in the Clowns" the only song you know.

West Side Story

Tony has just changed or is about to change. I liked this, but didn't love it. Somehow it just seemed lacking in passion. Great Bernstein-Sondheim score though.

Not a musical but funny show - Wishful Drinking at Studio 54. Carrie Fisher deconstucts her life in about 90 minutes. Have not seen this yet - will next weekend, but saw it several years ago at the Geffen in LA - don't think its changed too much.

God of Carnage - cast has changed and not selling out anymore, but would still think its very good - also not a musical

For a complete listing of whats playing http://www.playbill.com

Also on the Playbill website is the Playbill club. No fee for joining - they just want an email address. Have special offers for discounted seats which you can use on line or at the box office for 20 to 30% off.

Dee Roscioli[/url]. Saw the production last weekend...as far as I could tell, she was amazing. First time, though. I went back and watched the original perform Defying Gravity at one of the award shows and still thought Roscioli did a better job.

--------------------

I second that you see Wicked, if you haven't already, and are able to get tickets. Otherwise, Hair has been on my list for a while (if you enjoy "hippie" music). Some of my favorite songs from there are Goodmorning Starshine and The Age of Aquarius.

I agree Hair was a great production and good music. Im glad to hear the new elphaba is living up to the role. Im afraid dee menzel will always be a personal fave of mine. Not sure I would like anyone else doing it. Fell for her in Rent and this was just a pinnacle (Lupone Evita, Buckley Cats, Lansbury Mame etc...)

Let us know what you see and what you think of what you see.

Thank you all for the suggestions. On a Monday (dark) night there were just a few choices available and I went to see again "Rock of Ages", which I adore.

My date tonight was Aiden Shaw (but that would be a different topic). I had a great time.

I already saw Wicked, Billy Elliot, In the Heights, Altar Boyz ..

I'm definitely planning to see South Pacific and probably Hair and Ragtime if I make some time. There are just too many things to do and so little time ... :rolleyes:

Later,

what's on

I'm going to see Ragtime, based on the wonderful reviews, next week.

Next to Normal is superb, and the reviews on A Little Night Music are promising.

If you are willing to depart from the musicals, I saw a play last weekend that is fantastically amusing, called "In the Next Room, or the vibrator play." It stars Michael Cerveris, one of our leading Broadway actors (who has also done lots of musicals, but doesn't sing in this). He plays a New York society doctor in the 1880s who uses his new-fangled electric vibrator to "cure" women of "hysteria" - and, most hilariously, to cure a temperamental male artist of the same malady. A bonus - you get to see Cerveris in the altogether in at least one scene.

Shows! Shows! Shows!

I was in NY in mid-November and managed to achieve a new personal best: Eight shows in six days!

Here's what I saw (all musicals):

1. Ragtime

2. Shrek

3. Mary Poppins

4. Bye, Bye Birdie

5. Hair

6. South Pacific

7. Finian's Rainbow

8. Avenue Q (which has moved to an off-Broadway theater.)

I would recommend them all, to varying degrees. I had already seen Avenue Q, but in a much larger theater. It was far better in a more intimate venue where I could actually see the stage. (I had pretty bad seats when I saw it in L.A.) Bye Bye Birdie is a fun show, but John Stamos is more charming than good, and Bill Irwin's hamminess was way over the top. On the plus side, the younger performers were excellent, and actually appeared to be age-appropriate for their roles.

Shrek and Mary Poppins are sort of known quantities, I guess. I saw the last perforrmance of Shrek with all three original leads, so that was fun. I saw the original touring company of Hair in the late 60s in San Francisco, and have seen several productions since then (including the one at the Wadsworth Theater that featured Steven Weber and Sam Harris -- and a nude Marisa Jaret Winokur!) This production was excellent-- highly recommended.

South Pacific was incredibly well directed and staged. I got to see Paulo Szot (openly gay Polish-Brazilian opera singer who won the Tony for this role a few years back) but unfortunately the performance I attended featured the understudy for Kelli O'Hara. She was fine, but when you only get to NY once every few years you want to see the originals!

Ragtime has always been one of my favorite shows-- I saw the pre-Broadway company at the late, lamented Shubert Theater in L.A., and have seen a few regional theater productions as well. This revival began at the Kennedy Center and is sort of a stripped-down version (in terms of sets, anyway), but everything else was superb. Also recommended. (I saw a preview performance; it hadn't officially opened while I was in town.)

Last, and certainly not least: Finian's Rainbow. It has always been one of my favorite shows, and it was the first musical I ever saw performed live (at a high school.) I even like the movie, which most people thought was a dud. It has a terrific score, and I really enjoyed this production -- BUT, as with South Pacific, I got the understudy for one of the leads-- this time hunky gay Broadway up-and-coming star Cheyenne Jackson. Again, the understudy was fine, but I really wanted to check Cheyenne out. Alas.

So, anyway, sorry to be so long-winded, but there are my capsule reviews. Also-- I bought nearly all of my tickets at the TKTS booth at South Street Seaport. There are hardly ever any lines, and they open much earlier in the day. Plus, on Tuesdays and Saturdays (and maybe Fridays?) you can buy tickets for both that evening AND the next day's matinee. I got great seats to almost every show-- within the first 10 rows of the orchestra (although usually off to the side.)

Good luck and have fun!!!!

One more vote for "Ragtime". I saw the original production twice so you know I liked it. I thought this was a really terrific production. Got great seats at the last minute this afternoon. It is sadly not selling out and will probably close soon. It deserves a longer run. I'd urge everyone to see it. Great score wonderfully sung by everyone in the cast.

Archived