Tiger, out of the woods?

glutes
This topic is 1151 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Tiger's wood

Mark Morford made a wonderful column today about TW and his lack of humor. The last paragraph has a great M4M reference if you read the full article.

"Why isn't he at least shrugging and sighing and saying, "Hey you know what? Life is ridiculous. Life is hard. Life is a mixed blessing crapfest thrillride joyburden, Katie. Even for me. Especially for me. Isn't it all hilarious and amazing? I'm still here! Did some dumb things, dated some very dumb people, wasn't the most honest with my wife. Then I fixed it. Everybody happy? Good. Let's get in the hot tub."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/02/24/notes022410.DTL#ixzz0gUarcRWw

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest OCBeachbody

LOL.... those fake ads are awesome. I wish people would advertise based on infamy sometimes, because it really makes you laff.

The wholesome and trusted brand of advertising died in the 70's....... we know companies are manipulators, spokes people get paid to endorse, and products don't always deliver...... so come already just be frank with.... as Wendy's so boldly put back in the 80's "Where the Beef!" Thank good for that DVD of old commercials.

Mark Morford made a wonderful column today about TW and his lack of humor.

This was great. It reminded me, among other things, that back in 1991 when Magic Johnson announced he had contracted HIV from having hundreds (did he say thousands?) of post-game hookups with anonymous women, the sex-addiction brigades did not come pouring out of the woodwork, as they inevitably do today.

http://espn.go.com/gen/s/2001/1105/1273720.html

Wonder what has changed since then?

Guest OCBeachbody

Because nowadays anything you enjoy is a vice....

hard to to tell who's an addict and who's just having a good time?

Money = Power = Do whatever You Want!

This was great. It reminded me, among other things, that back in 1991 when Magic Johnson announced he had contracted HIV from having hundreds (did he say thousands?) of post-game hookups with anonymous women, the sex-addiction brigades did not come pouring out of the woodwork, as they inevitably do today.

http://espn.go.com/gen/s/2001/1105/1273720.html

Wonder what has changed since then?

In part it's because we live in the post Clinton era. The spectacle of the US Senate solemnly debating semen stained frocks and blowjobs under the desk in the Oval Office irrevocably changed the terms of public discourse.

Mostly though I suspect the main difference lies in how Johnson and Woods handled the disclosure and ensuing debate. Plus Johnson's by far the more likable of the two.

And it was indeed thousands, not hundreds. :p

Saw this by Peter King on SI.com:

Can we please stop with the over-the-top Tiger Woods coverage?

Dan Graziano of AOL Fanhouse said it best. Or, I should say, he Tweeted it best. "Tiger story brings out the worst in modern sports 'journalism.' Everyone required to have a strong opinion on a complete non-story.''

Anyone buying?

They are selling "Tiger's Wood Pack" down in South African pharmacies:

* Stamina 450mg Anti-Handicap-sule

100% Herbal Ingredients: Cortex Cinnamon, Epimedium, Ginko Biloba, Panax Ginseng, Rhodiola Rosea, Tribulus Terretris. Offers enhanced male sexual performance with no side effects. Beneficial effects may last up to 3 days. (only effective with sexual stimulation).

* Extra Lubricated Condom

100% Electronically tested, extra lubricated, fruit flavoured, ribbed ultra thin 54mm latex condom. (teat-ended for comfort)

* Quality vibrating ring - The best vibrating penis ring you will ever use! (Two options: - Screaming pink ring or Wild horse blue ring). New innovative grinding gear battery operated motor technology. With ergonomic silicone ring sleeve designs to offer powerful orgasmic quivering vibrations right where they are appreciated most... for up to 40 minutes of multiple and intensified climaxes for both partners. Like nothing you have ever experienced!

* Birdie fun feather - Accessory for the best sensual stimulation and intimate foreplay.

http://www.tigerswoodpack.com

http://tigerswoodpack.com/images/tigerwoods.jpg

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tiger Woods is planing to return to golf in two weeks, according to multiple media reports.

.And he's hired Ari Fleischer, former press secretary to President George W. Bush, to help him get there.

"They were in his living room this week going over a strategy for how to handle Bay Hill in two weeks," a source told the New York Post.

Woods plans his return at the Arnold Palmer Invitational in Orlando. The tournament begins March 25.

• 3 weeks later...

Good ad!

Tiger is getting a public spanking. If this ad moves his image positive in the polls, Nike's got its spokesman back.

If this one redeems him just part way, the next ad might have his father calling him out to the woodshed.

http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/collins_school-woodshed.jpg

-{noises off}

Desperate and Bizarre?

Doesn't it seem to be the height of desperate product commercialization (and frankly a bit macabre) to use the hallowed words of Tiger's deceased father in an advertisement to ultimately sell more Nike shoes and golf clubs? I hope Tiger does well in Augusta, but the new Nike ad is just bizarre, imho.

Doesn't it seem to be the height of desperate product commercialization (and frankly a bit macabre) to use the hallowed words of Tiger's deceased father in an advertisement to ultimately sell more Nike shoes and golf clubs?

Indeed it does. I should probably have said 'Effective ad!', rather than 'Good ad!', to avoid implying a favorable value judgement of what Nike is doing, or what Woods is doing. They are both following the money, which often goes unquestioned in a 'free market economy'.

In my opinion, it's up to us, as consumers, to question the hype, as you did, and resist basing our buying decisions on celebrity endorsements. If enough people react as you do, Woods will finally lose his value as a 'role model'.

Until then, Nike will do what Nike does, retie their lucky fly, and hope there are still plenty of fish who will bite.

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/blackhillsbrown3.gif

I believe PT said, there is a sucker born every minute and I don't think that excluded Canadians. While I get very tired of advertising and its' "exuberance" and I don't really appreciate your gratituous comments about how stupid Americans might be.

Best regards,

KMEM

I actually met a Canadian sucker once. He considered himself a rarity. He was very popular with his fellow loggers, and was wearing a pair of Nike Dunks which they had given him as a token of their appreciation.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn288/fashionblogger/nike_dunk_undefeated.jpg

Guest ChgoBoy
and I don't really appreciate your gratituous comments about how stupid Americans might be.

I don't know if Luv2play really wanted to imply what his broad sweeping message about Americans felt like when reading it, but that's for him to justify. Or not.

I was appalled with this Nike tactic. It has nothing to do with Tiger Woods, and everything to do with, of course, the rebuilding of the billion dollar marketing machine that of which he once was. For them. And him too.

Voices from the grave may indeed be received by some of us at times. But those voices from the grave have nothing to do with the public at large, and to use such a tactic only to regain marketing value of a flawed individual is one of the most insidious manipulations of the human kind I have ever witnessed by a corporate sponsor and yes, the flawed individual himself.

This has nothing to do with Americans. This has everything to do with conscience.

Last time I looked, conscience had no borders. Just flawed individuals who didn't realize the difference.

Edited by ChgoBoy