Roman Polanski Taken into Custody

ArVaGuy
This topic is 5353 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Film director Roman Polanski was arrested by Swiss police in Zurich to face charges in the US on 30 year-old rape allegations. Polanski skipped out on serving his sentence in 1978 after pleading guilty to lesser charges that he had sex with a then 13 year-old girl. He claimed that the judge and prosecutor conspired to renege on his plea agreement and impose a harsher sentence. Thus he fled the country.

I can't help but feel that had Polanski faced issues rather than skip out he would not have had to live with this cloud over his head for three decades.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/ap_on_en_mo/eu_switzerland_polanski

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very odd. Polanski has assiduously avoided the US but has travelled in Europe in the past. I wonder if the recent death of one of his wife's murders and this arrest are in some way connected.

I can't condone his admitted rape of a 13 year old, but it does seem as though there was political maneuvering at the time. The issue now of course, will be compounded by his fleeing prosecution.

This is very odd. Polanski has assiduously avoided the US but has travelled in Europe in the past. I wonder if the recent death of one of his wife's murders and this arrest are in some way connected.

I can't condone his admitted rape of a 13 year old, but it does seem as though there was political maneuvering at the time. The issue now of course, will be compounded by his fleeing prosecution.

Polanski's lawyers filed to have the case dismissed and the presiding judge indicated there may have been misconduct issues in the origial case. However, the judge made it clear that Polanski would have to return to California and face the judicial process. Had he done so in the first place the case would not be such a convoluted mess.

Apparently even the Woman Now who was the subject of the Case has long moved on and has said a long time ago..."Let It Go"

Let's not forget that she 'moved on' after suing Polanski and winning a financial settlement. I'm sorry but I don't think the option of 'bribing the victim' is a suitable way of putting an end to criminal justice charges... :rolleyes:

Having said that, I have to wonder why this particular case has come up now and further wonder how any justice can be served in pursuing a case that has been inactive for more than 30 years. :confused:

And ArVaGuy, while I in no way condone what Polanski has done/alleged to have done, what little I do know of the case and how it was originally handed (i.e. with the Judge reneging on the original plea-bargain) I can sure see why Polanski chose not to return to face a system that may have already 'burned' him once.

Alan

I don't how the recent death of one of the murderers would make the Swiss act differently. I also wondered "Why now?" and immediately thought that it had somethiing to do with our government's prosecution of UBS, the largest bank in Switzerland, and other Swiss banks for helping U.S. citizens evade taxes. But even that seems like not much of a motivation for the Swiss authorities to reverse their view on Polanski. I mean, "Look at how cooperative we're being. We arrested Roman Polanski. Now take it easy on our banks." just isn't that compelling an argument.

My own view is that child molestation is child molestation, and he should be hunted down to the ends of the earth to be punished. If he had been a Catholic priest and had been hiding in the Vatican for the last 30 years, would any of us dismiss his crimes as forgivable or too old to worry about any more?

Roman Polanski

Gov. Schwartzeneger may very well tune in on this. I'm sure he's cognizant of the facts in the case. There's a Puritan witch hunter from 30 years ago pursuing Polanski. Shades of Victor Hugo and Les Misérables. Considering that the woman involved wants the case dismissed i'd say her will should be done.

Guest HellYeahSF

I can't help but wondering how many readers of this site secretly sympathize - even empathize - with Polanski's crime. Especially the "boy lovers."

For you sickos who do, here's an account of the victim of such sickness:

(At the age of 44, Polanski gave the 13-year-old girl champagne and quaaludes, forcing himself himself on her. She says: "I said no several times, and then, well, gave up on that.")

Polanksi is a monster who deserves whatever he gets.

Guest zipperzone

If he had been a Catholic priest and had been hiding in the Vatican for the last 30 years, would any of us dismiss his crimes as forgivable or too old to worry about any more?

That's a good point and one that had not occured to me.

Guest zipperzone
I can't help but wondering how many readers of this site secretly sympathize - even empathize - with Polanski's crime. Especially the "boy lovers."

For you sickos who do, here's an account of the victim of such sickness: QUOTE]

OK guys. How do some of you like being addressed as "sickos" by this newbie? He seems to be saying that just because you like young men, your a sicko. Apparently it never occurred to him that just because you like them doesn't mean you break the law and bed them.

Refreshing - your morals are under attack from someone who knows squat about you.

My own view is that child molestation is child molestation, and he should be hunted down to the ends of the earth to be punished. If he had been a Catholic priest and had been hiding in the Vatican for the last 30 years, would any of us dismiss his crimes as forgivable or too old to worry about any more?

You make a very good point here. If Polanski were anyone other than a celebrity he would not get a pass on this crime. Would France have allowed him to live there for 30 years had he been a priest accused of the same crime? Certainly not.

Bribery

Let's not forget that she 'moved on' after suing Polanski and winning a financial settlement. I'm sorry but I don't think the option of 'bribing the victim' is a suitable way of putting an end to criminal justice charges... :rolleyes:

Not to condone what happened in any way and I do think justice should be served no matter how long ago the crime took place or how the victim is presently disposed towards her attacker. But I can't see how her having won a suit against Polanski constitutes bribery?

Not to condone what happened in any way and I do think justice should be served no matter how long ago the crime took place or how the victim is presently disposed towards her attacker. But I can't see how her having won a suit against Polanski constitutes bribery?

Mark, my point was that the people invoking the victim's desire to put the affair behind her and 'move on' were neglecting to mention that her statements to that effect came after she and Polanski reached a settlement on undisclosed terms, ending her lawsuit. Now maybe her willingness to 'move on' is completely unrelated to her settlement with Polanski but it may not be either. And that's why I support the state having the power to prosecute criminal charges even when the 'victim' is ready to 'move on'...

Alan

OK guys. How do some of you being addressed as "sickos" by this newbie? He seems to be saying that just because you like young men, your a sicko. Apparently it never occurred to him that just because you like them doesn't mean you break the law and bed them.

Refreshing - your morals are under attack from someone who knows squat about you.

Zip, it may have escaped your notice - but there are plenty of 'oldies' on this board who engage in gratuitous name-calling at the drop of a hat and are more than willing to impugn other posters' morals and motivations for me to get too terribly excited about one more insect joining the swarm... :rolleyes:

Alan

Mark, my point was that the people invoking the victim's desire to put the affair behind her and 'move on' were neglecting to mention that her statements to that effect came after she and Polanski reached a settlement on undisclosed terms, ending her lawsuit. Now maybe her willingness to 'move on' is completely unrelated to her settlement with Polanski but it may not be either. And that's why I support the state having the power to prosecute criminal charges even when the 'victim' is ready to 'move on'...

Thanks for the clarification, Alan. A valid observation.

vindicating the public interest

Prosecution is not about the individual victim, it's about the public interest. That Polanski's victim settled with him in her individual lawsuit is neither here nor there when it comes to the decision to continue trying to prosecute him, because a prosecutor acts as a representative of the public, not of the victim of the crime.

We, the public, are offended and outraged when a grown man forces a 9 year old girl to have sex with him, and prosecute him to enforce society's code of acceptable behavior. In this connection, the judge did not want to go along with the plea bargain, presumably because the judge felt it was not in the public interest for such a visible criminal defendant to get off with the slap on the wrist. I think Polanski is a brilliant film maker - The Pianist was a masterpiece - but that does not excuse his conduct.

Gov. Schwartzeneger may very well tune in on this. I'm sure he's cognizant of the facts in the case. There's a Puritan witch hunter from 30 years ago pursuing Polanski. Shades of Victor Hugo and Les Misérables. Considering that the woman involved wants the case dismissed i'd say her will should be done.

The "woman" involved was a 13 year old child that was sexually molested by this disgusting pervert, hardly a witch hunt.

It would seem you have no problem with the sexual abuse and use of 13 year old kids.

Polanski

The history of this incident goes back 30 years. At the time a plea agreement was made with the judge to spare the girl a jury trial but the judge (now deceased), changed his mind as he wanted a harsher punishment than had been agreed upon--motivating Polanski to flee the U.S. There's a documentary detailing it. The girl--now a married woman with children settled for an undisclosed settlement with Polanski years ago--and she too wants the case dismissed. It's a 1970s Hollywood story that the Hollywood tabloids loved and embellished. All in all, very complex. An ambitious mother with a beautiful teenage daughter looking more mature than her age, a famous director, an innocent photo shoot that obviously turned turned provocative with champagne and Qualudes. "To err is human--to forgive, divine."

If I'm reading all this right, Polanski was told he had a plea deal that would allow him to walk. After the plea the judge sent him to jail for psychological testing (42 days). After Polanski got out the judge let his attorney know he was considering giving Polanski an additional 48 day sentence (maybe to cover the judge's ass with the media). That's a total of 90 days. Not bad for drugging and raping a 13 year old even in Hollywood.

Polanski didn't feel like doing the additional 48 days and, rather than withdraw his plea and risk a trial, he chose to skip to France. If the Justice Department chooses to extradite him, he may regret that decision (the rape? apparently not so much). Hard to work up much sympathy.

The history of this incident goes back 30 years. At the time a plea agreement was made with the judge to spare the girl a jury trial but the judge (now deceased), changed his mind as he wanted a harsher punishment than had been agreed upon--motivating Polanski to flee the U.S. There's a documentary detailing it. The girl--now a married woman with children settled for an undisclosed settlement with Polanski years ago--and she too wants the case dismissed. It's a 1970s Hollywood story that the Hollywood tabloids loved and embellished. All in all, very complex. An ambitious mother with a beautiful teenage daughter looking more mature than her age, a famous director, an innocent photo shoot that obviously turned turned provocative with champagne and Qualudes. "To err is human--to forgive, divine."

Good christ she was 13, and you call it provocative. What in the hell is wrong with you he RAPED a 13 year old child and you say to "err is human".

I'm in the camp of those not too sympathetic with Polanski. I think that what may be unstated is a certain sympathy for Polanski's ordeals with the Nazis and the Manson family. Although he has probably paid his debt to his victim, I don't think he should be spared jail time due to his wealth, fame, or his past ordeals. It's interesting that apparently he even has a house in Gstaad, Switzerland, but this is the first time they arrested him.

Guest zipperzone
Zip, it may have escaped your notice - but there are plenty of 'oldies' on this board who engage in gratuitous name-calling at the drop of a hat and are more than willing to impugn other posters' morals and motivations for me to get too terribly excited about one more insect joining the swarm... :rolleyes:

Alan

Alan: Would you still feel that way if you happened to enjoy the company of younger men? He would then be calling YOU a sicko. At least you identified him as an insect.

Guest zipperzone

Although I would also like to see Polanski get his comeuppance, I think it is sad that the victim, who has put this behind her and gotten on with her life and raised a family, now faces the prospect of having the lurid details outlined once again in public.

This could have repercussions on her children whether they are still in school or college. It could be equally as bad if they are in a career where unwanted publicity, directed towards them could damage their lives.

Even if their identities are "protected" by the court, in these day of easy internet access to almost everything, I doubt if the gutter press will be dissuaded,

He drugged and raped a minor. A MINOR!!! There is absolutely no excuse for this type of behavior. I don't care if it happened yesterday or 30 some years ago he needs to finish whatever sentence or trail that needs to be done. I don't give a flip if he is some fancy Hollywood director or a garbage man, he deserves no special rights above anyone else. I don't understand why a government would not send such a person back to the country that he was to be tried in. I feel by not prosecuting him it just sends a message to others like him that it is ok to run off before trial or whatever is finished and live a nice life.

Hugs,

Greg

Archived