Why the Sea turned red in Denmark ??

Steven_Draker
This topic is 5443 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

--- paging Michael Vincenzo ---

A picture speaks a thousand words ... however this is unbelievable ...

http://www.geocities.com/stevendraker/d1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/stevendraker/d2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/stevendraker/d3.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/stevendraker/d4.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/stevendraker/d5.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/stevendraker/d7.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/stevendraker/d6.jpg

While it may seem incredible, even today this custom continues, in Dantesque, in the Faroe Islands, (Denmark). A country supposedly 'civilized' and member of the European Union at that. For many people this attack to life is unknown – a custom to 'show' entering adulthood. It is absolutely atrocious. No one does anything to prevent this barbarism being committed against the Calderon, an intelligent dolphin that is placid and approaches humans out of friendliness ...

No further comment.

Sometimes I think we are all spoiled. Few have to fight for food and many complain if there is no airconditioning or cable TV, etc. The Faroe Islands are northeast of Scotland and have a far more harsh climate than any or most, if not all, of the posters herein have. I would venture to guess we don't have a clue what their life is like and what they might have to put up with in order to survive.

Have a little compassion for others and their different lifestyles, please.

Best regards,

KMEM

PK-

I certainly agree with you about ritualistic slaughter. I am hoping those far northern folks are only doing this,basically, for food. Regardless, I am asking for some milk of human kindness for "other" cultures.

Best regards,

KMEM

Ritualistic slauighter of animals, if not for food, doesnt require our understanding.

It doesn't require your participation or your approval, but your understanding is another matter. The strong implication of stating that a given behavior is so abhorant that it doesn't require our understanding is that folks that engage in such behavior are something other than fully human. I don't mean to fuss at you in particular, P.K., just to remind everyone that we've all spent way too much of our lives fighting this kind of nonsense to indulge in it ourselves.

I did not say this particular behavior, however repellent it may be, did not require our understanding. I don't know enough about what happens to these animals afterward to make that decision for myself. However, Ritualistic slaughter of animals, if not for food, does not require our understanding. I believe that applies to religious ceremonies, and these stretch across many religious beliefs, in which animals are sacrificed with no intention of using the meat as food. These do not require understanding. Tolerance for a behavior that has an alternative is tacit approval. I don't think many kinds of ritualistic slaughter is subhuman, they just should be.

Tolerance for a behavior that has an alternative is tacit approval. I don't think many kinds of ritualistic slaughter is subhuman, they just should be.

Some would say that since modern agriculture provides convenient and inexpensive alternatives to animal flesh for the protein we require, it is "subhuman" to continue to eat meat. Isn't your tolerance of "slaughter for food" little more than a culturally supplied excuse for behavior you otherwise would find subhuman?

P.K., I really don't care much whether you grilled cow meat for the 4th or made do with tofu burgers. My concern is more that as gays we should be careful not to conflate human nature with our own culturally induced emotional responses, however strong. Try substituting "homosexual behavior" for "ritual slaughter" in your two posts and see how they read.

I think your analogy of a cultural learned behavior such as ritualistic sacrifice and what most would consider a genetic trait, homosexuality produces a weak argument. One can certainly be for equal treatment of all people under the law and against the premeditated sacrifice of animals in compliance of a ritualistic behavior. I know I am.

Folks have been killing animals for reasons other than food for at least as long as there have been critters around that can be counted as people. If strong feelings of disgust/anger/revulsion toward this behavior are sufficient to close the discussion and put those who practice ritual animal slaughter beyond the pale, why aren't the strong feelings of disgust/anger/revulsion many straights feel when confronted with gay behavior entitled to the same deference? Because they are wrong and we are right?

I'm not saying that your position on animal sacrifice is wrong or even that such behavior shouldn't be subject to criminal sanctions. Personally I haven't been hunting for 45 years and no one of my close acquaintance chops off chicken heads for any reason other than to fry them up for dinner. I am saying that one's emotional reaction to the behavior of others can be the start point and the impetus for an ethical judgement but should never be determinative of the issue. And nameing a behavior subhuman is about the strongest ethical judgement possible.

Sometimes I think we are all spoiled. Few have to fight for food and many complain if there is no airconditioning or cable TV, etc. The Faroe Islands are northeast of Scotland and have a far more harsh climate than any or most, if not all, of the posters herein have. I would venture to guess we don't have a clue what their life is like and what they might have to put up with in order to survive.

Have a little compassion for others and their different lifestyles, please.

Best regards,

KMEM

Perhaps you would like to speculate more but it sounds like you don't actually know much about this situation yourself. And, NO. We should not have compassion for this kind of slaughter.

Cajun-

I have flown numerous times over the Faroe Islands and have spent a considerable amount of time in northern Scotland, Iceland and Greenland. That does not make me an expert on their culture or way of life but I have been exposed to their climate a bit.

According to Wiki, the folks there do eat the whales they kill. It is not a commercial enterprise but personal food. There are controversies to include how the annual kill "looks" but their argument is that it is humane and much more so that domesticated animals that are never free but kept until time to kill them and eat them. They also claim that the kill is sustainable as well as decreasing, if for no other reason, the whales are contaminated by man. Their surgeon general or equivalent recommends no more than eating Pilot whale once a month.

Even though the climate does not support a variety of agriculture, there is sufficient food available from Denmark, if no where else. So, even though they do eat it, they are not forced to do so except by history and culture.

Best regards,

KMEM

Archived