A Moment of Joy

Lankypeters
This topic is 4958 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In Antwerp the onlookers actually stopped and paid attention, how many would actually stop for 3 minutes in most American cities. Sadly, to my mind, only a very small percentage. I seem to recall a video of a master violinist playing at a major subway station in Washington DC for four full pieces and basically going unnoticed and unheeded. After that, I pledged that I would not continue to be one of those who rush past, not heeding the beauty and joy around me. I have been better off for it. Just yesterday, I stopped for 10 minutes and listened to a really entertaining reggae band outside the Reading Terminal in Philly. I was 5 minutes late for my conference but in great spirits all day. Definitely worth it.

Guest LeoWalker

I think it would be hard to not notice if a group of that size occupied that percentage of an area, lol. But it was definitely interesting.

I seem to recall a video of a master violinist playing at a major subway station in Washington DC for four full pieces and basically going unnoticed and unheeded. After that, I pledged that I would not continue to be one of those who rush past, not heeding the beauty and joy around me. I have been better off for it. Just yesterday, I stopped for 10 minutes and listened to a really entertaining reggae band outside the Reading Terminal in Philly. I was 5 minutes late for my conference but in great spirits all day. Definitely worth it.

A few months back while on tour in Columbus, I attended a type of festival with a friend of mine. Crossing the bridge, in the middle, I saw a woman standing on a box with a microphone singing in the style of Billie Holiday. She was excellent. I regret that I didn't get her contact information...because I really enjoyed it. My friend wasn't amused and didn't seem to like the fact that I was waiting to listen and also gave her money.

Generally, if I'm not able to listen for a while I do at least give money if I find them good. Unfortunately, I don't often have the opportunity to use public transit regularly...so don't often find musicians.

Guest Tristan

Yes, it actually happened

In Antwerp the onlookers actually stopped and paid attention, how many would actually stop for 3 minutes in most American cities. Sadly, to my mind, only a very small percentage. I seem to recall a video of a master violinist playing at a major subway station in Washington DC for four full pieces and basically going unnoticed and unheeded. After that, I pledged that I would not continue to be one of those who rush past, not heeding the beauty and joy around me. I have been better off for it. Just yesterday, I stopped for 10 minutes and listened to a really entertaining reggae band outside the Reading Terminal in Philly. I was 5 minutes late for my conference but in great spirits all day. Definitely worth it.

The violinist is Joshua Bell. His is one of the top violinists of his generation. He tours all the world's top concert halls and has numerous CDs. He's also on the faculty of the Music Department at Indiana University. I have his first CD from the 80's. Additionally, he's still cute at 40ish. It's a reflection of the relative lack of interest in classical music that he wasn't recognized. Actually, I recall that one person finally recognized him. Can you imagine a rock star in the subway not being recognized by anyone?

Guest andrewd

Now that's a line dance!

Those nutty, crazy, fun-loving Belgians and their spontaneous line dances. You just never know when or where they are going to break out and bust a move! :)

I was once in Belgium and witnessed one break out in a cow pasture with some colorful local villagers. I was most impressed with how they incorporated the cows and the cow patty’s. :)

Guest Tristan
The violinist is Joshua Bell. His is one of the top violinists of his generation. He tours all the world's top concert halls and has numerous CDs. He's also on the faculty of the Music Department at Indiana University. I have his first CD from the 80's. Additionally, he's still cute at 40ish. It's a reflection of the relative lack of interest in classical music that he wasn't recognized. Actually, I recall that one person finally recognized him. Can you imagine a rock star in the subway not being recognized by anyone?

Joshua Bell was playing his Strativarius the day he performed in the subway. He reportedly paid $3.5 million for it. There are only about 600 remaining. He insisted on using it that day. So not only did people fail to recognize him. Potential thieves didn't realize the value of the violin.

The following is a long but interesting article, with a video of the subway station event, that explains how Joshua Bell decided to play incognito in the subway. It also includes biographical information.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

In the middle of day, a moment of joy:

Thanks for posting the link, Lankypeters

Op zoek naar Maria (Looking for Maria) is a talent competition program that aired in Belgium on VTM (a flemish TV station) promoting the program's search for an actress to play the leading role in the "The Sound of Music".

Of course, it was all spontaneous and no rehearsal was necessary for its realization . :)

Of course, it was all spontaneous and no rehearsal was necessary for its realization . :)[/color]

Seriously..no rehearsal?......or am I being gullible and naive? It ends up looking like something from an M-G-M musical, with photography and editing up to the task.

Of course, it was all spontaneous and no rehearsal was necessary for its realization . :)

Seriously..no rehearsal?......or am I being gullible and naive? It ends up looking like something from an M-G-M musical, with photography and editing up to the task.

My last comment was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. Please note the smiley. :cool:

• 1 year later...

Archived