Buenos Aires Observations

MscleLovr
This topic is 5540 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just finishing up my 9th holiday in Buenos Aires in the last 5 years and I still like the city, culture, nightlife, restaurants and men here very much. I'd like tho to mention certain changes I've observed this time

1. Crime is much more worrisome. Previously pickpocketing and robberies occurred in certain areas; now it's more widespread and there is often violence (which was previously very rare). Young and old locals commented on the 'crime wave' to me. And I know a young guy who was robbed at gunpoint around 11pm - he's local and had no valuables on display.

2. The economy is declining and inflation is high. Many things, such as coffee in a cafe, fruit and clothes cost more than in central London or New York.

3. Many local guys are keen to meet foreign tourists. There is an obvious economic need, which means that you pick up a dinner or lunch bill for him and/or offer a small 'gift'. I found both Manhunt and Gaydar to be useful; Craigslist is not used. There's not much reason to hire one of the many 'working' guys on the 2 main websites, unless you want to do so for convenience.

...appreciated your update. Muchas gracias! ...sorry to hear how the economic situation of that part of the world is worsening.

...plan to be there in October but hope that I can avoid those negatives (pickpocketing-- robbery) which I've never experienced at home or while I've traveled there as well as other places in our world.

When I solicit the services of guys, I'll use http://www.soytuyo.com as well as http://www.ratonesonline.com. Recently I've noticed an abundance of ads at these two sites and will hire discreetly with the help of my local guides-- both of whom I've used previously.

Thanks again, man! What you wrote is quite helpful!

BAires Crime

Below are some Links worth reading. Sadly, the crime rate has been increasing in BA and also Mendoza. Mendoza used to be such a quiet laid back place, but the criminals have followed everyone else there. Use just as much caution in Mendoza as you would in BA.

I have been to Argentina many times in the last 12-15 years, and it does seem to get worse every year in the cities. Luckily, I have only had one very minor incident of getting passed some counterfeit Peso's from a taxi driver. When using taxis in either of the big cities, carry small notes so that you can minimize the change you get back. If you do get a large quantity of paper money hold it up to the light as legit money is watermarked.

I had friends who had a purse stolen in Palermo on a Saturday night while at dinner. They lost the passports, and so had to go to the embassy first thing Monday morning. When they got there they were shocked to see nearly 20 other visitors waiting in line for the same reasons. Do NOT carry your passport with you in the city, carry a photo copy.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1130.html

http://baires.elsur.org/archives/street-crime-in-buenos-aires/

Crime can happen in any city, just be on alert. BAires is a lovely place to visit, and has many lovely people in it but stay aware, and keep out of risky places. Also, If you bring a new "friend" back to your room make sure that all of your Valuables, Medicines, I pods, and etc are locked in the safe. Sometimes working boys will suggest you take a shower to relax....never shower alone, as this can be a prime time to have your items disappear along with your visitor.

Stay Alert and have fun

Archived