Montreal Dining

NorthWoods
This topic is 5880 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In many posts about Montreal, gentlemen have mentioned their favorite restaurants, diners, and cafes. I'd like to "gather" some recommendations together in this posting.

If you will provide the establishment's name, location, a brief description, etc., that would be wonderful!

I think this may benefit many travelers this spring/summer.

-North

This is a short list gleaned quickly from my previous posts. They're not all restaurants, and I didn't visit all of them on my most recent visit, so can't vouch for their continued existence.

[ul] [li]Tapas restaurant – Sasha, 1818 Ste. Catherine Est, very near Taboo [li]La Mie Matinale, 1371 Ste Catherine Est, on the N side between Panet and Plessis [li]Le Pistou Bistro, 1453 rue Mont-Royal Est, at rue Garnier, about a 10-minute walk east from the Mont-Royal métro stop [li] La Piazzetta, 1101 rue Ste. Catherine Est, next door to Campus [li] Autour d’un Pain, 1219 rue Sainte-Catherine Est, just west of Métro Beaudry [li]Yuan, 400 Sherbrooke Est, (corner of St. Denis), Métro Sherbrooke [/ul]

Other places I've enjoyed: [ul] [li]Food [li]Saloon [li]Piccolo Diavolo [li]Fantasie [li]Kilo [li]Chuch[/ul]

My top 3:

THE KEG - http://www.kegsteakhouse.com

Ask for a WINDOW seat on St. Paul Street in OLD MONTREAL

(they serve excellent steak, seafood, daquirris)

LE JARDIN NELSON - http://www.jardinnelson.com/english/index1.htm

Outdoor terrace great for people watching in OLD MONTREAL at Place Depuis. They also have an open-air "indoor" patio

(casual french cuisine, crepes, daquiris, atlantic salmon quiche)

GIBBYS - OLD MONTREAL http://www.gibbys.com

(it's kind of a "tourists trap" featuring excellent steak, seafood)

Ben's, alas, is no more. After years of protracted labor problems the owners decided to shut it down. The furnishings, including all the show-biz memorabilia, has been auctioned off or otherwise disposed of and the building will give way to yet another condo development.

Take heart though, as Montreal still has the world's best smoked meat emporium which is the famous Schwartz's Deli on St. Laurent Blvd.in the 3600 block, I believe. The medium fat is recommended of the three grades of smoked meat as the lean is not tasty enough and the fat grade will stop up your arteries after three visits! LOL

Sasha's, which is in the Village and where Newatthis and I have dined, is temporarily closed as their false ceiling collapsed. What bemused me was that we would have taken a direct hit at the table we occupied had this happened when we were there!

>Sasha's, which is in the Village and where Newatthis and I

>have dined, is temporarily closed as their false ceiling

>collapsed. What bemused me was that we would have taken a

>direct hit at the table we occupied had this happened when we

>were there!

IIRC, we were seated in the window, and during our meal a MC poster from out west stopped by, brimming over with his recent adventure at Campus.

Sorry to hear this. I haven't been back since our visit, but I liked the place. Let us know when they re-open.

Guest zipperzone

>Ben's, alas, is no more. After years of protracted labor

>problems the owners decided to shut it down. The furnishings,

>including all the show-biz memorabilia, has been auctioned off

>or otherwise disposed of and the building will give way to yet

>another condo development.

Now that's a bummer. When I lived in Mtl, it was at the corner of Peel & Sherbrook, so Ben's was a convenient stroll away when in need of a dose of fat. But the atmosphere left a bit to be desired :-)

Archived