what's the latest on West Side Bar?

newatthis
This topic is 7057 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In preparation for an upcoming Montreal excursion, I'd like to know what the current situation is at the West Side Bar. I don't recall seeing anything here since the flurry of posts last November. Has its promising renaissance continued?

If any Montreal locals or recent visitors have news, I'd be grateful for their sharing it.

Guest chaotou

I visited the West Side Bar for the first time last month. It is very attractive and comfotable inside. However, when I was there it was empty. Maybe two customers and two dancers that I saw. I didn't stay long. They were friendly and welcoming. I just returned today from three days in Montreal and did not go back to West Side if that says anything. I was just having too much run at the other clubs. If you havne't been or been recently, check it out. You don't have to stay. And, maybe things have picked up.

I have never understood the rationale of having a gay stripper bar in the business district in Montreal when all the gay action is located quite a bit further east in the Gay Village. It just doesn't make any sense, especially since there is no parking available and little else there at night to attract business (such as restaurants or other bars). I am not surprised little has changed in respect to the number of customers you would find there in the evening, despite the ownership change. It was always nearly empty when I would go there several years ago and I gave up on the place. Maybe the new owners need a tax writeoff!

It has been years since I have been there but then it was pretty crowded (although the other strip bars said it was only for rejects from the other bars). At least then I disagreed. But anyways wasn't there (or is) a gay hotel (or semi-bath) very close? I always thought that was the the reason the place existed.

The "gay scene"used to be downtown Montreal-and then the World's Fair and the Olympics pushed everything to the east(in what is now the Village)into the "low rent"district away from the tourists.

There are a few holdouts,Aux Berges(the, ahem,hotel/bath house mentioned above)and another bath house around the corner from the Westside.

You are right Big Guy. I had forgotten but, I remember first visiting Montreal when I was about nineteen. I think there was a Sauna on lower Crescent streeet (or maybe a neighboring street) and there was a happening gay bar on the street east of Peel below St. Catherine Street - and a bi bar somewhere around President Kennedy street. Wow, that was a long time ago, and I had completely forgotten about it!

hg

Archived