Strange Police Operation in Montreal on Friday evening

happyguy2
This topic is 7072 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey Guys,

I have just returned from another of my very long trips. But, thanks to Karl G's great post on Montreal which I read in a hotel about a week ago, I saw I was able to make a quick trip there on this weekend (February 3-4-5). I couldn't wait to get to see all these French Canadians. By the time I cleared customs (now easy) I checked into my hotel and headed out around 7:00.

I was at Campus and had a few great dances. Phil is looking better than ever, you know the rest of the gang. Sometime around 8:20, I spotted some uniformed policemen walking about the club. It was crowded but the curtain had not been drawn back yet. There was energy - but as everyone became aware of the police presence, it gradually - no panic - gave way to less energy, then a sort of quiet concern as the police grew = three more entered and went upstairs to where the dancers have their lockers. Then after about ten minutes, I think, they placed themselves at the top of the stairs of the front entrance, at the entrance to the washrooms and somewhere which leads to a back exit.

The main bartender disappeared with them - and dances on stage tried to continue with everyone wondering what was happening. One of the dancers told me they were checking out the dancers, not the clients. By nine o'clock, I left... and hand dinner with friends. Went back on Saturday - the dancers told me that it was a city wide operation, they even went into the staight strip clubs ... all at the same time. I think they told me that they checked the dancers at all the gay clubs too. The police interviewed each dancer, got I.D., and then called in their height, weight, eye and hair color and, as long as there were no outstanding charges, or that they were not on welfare, they could go. Two guys apparently got arrested at Campus, but I don't know who.

Have any of you heard about this? If so, manybe you could let us know more if you are in contact with Montreal guys. I am not sure that my information about the other clubs is entirely correct. Although, when I was out with friends, including several Montrealers, they told me that the Immigration Minister for Canada is embroiled in some scandal where special visitors permits were given to east european girls to come to Canada for exotic dancing - it appears there is a shortage - and they might be trying to show that they check up on the clubs and keep them in line. Who knows?

It sure put a damper on things, and when I was at Campus in the early Saturday evening, it looked dead. Went out with friends, deciding it was not a great weekend for visiting these clubs.

Again, if anyone else knows more, it might be interesting for us to hear about it!

hg2

HappyGuy2,thanks for the report.I have been in Montreal during periods of increased police presence in the clubs.It kinda puts a damper on things for about 2 weeks-and then thing go back to normal(the exception was the raid on the Tabboo a couple of years ago-that really stirred things up)There is indeed some "scandal"involving foriegners coming into Montreal under the wrong visa and then working in strip clubs,but this sort of crackdown has happened in the US also(Stellas had troubles with this amongst other things)

So every thing should be just peachy for-say,,,,,Mid March!

On a trip to Montreal this past summer I was in the back at Campus. Nothing more than a little touching was happening during the lapdance and then during the 2nd or 3rd song the dancer smacked my hands away from his legs. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and thought he was annoyed by me touching him, but then I saw two uniformed police enter the back room. Of course it scarred the shit out of me, but they just did a lap around the area and left. The dancer apologized and said they are inspected every once in a while. I don't know if they had some sort of signal to let the dancers know the police were in the bar or if he just saw them coming, but I was very glad neither of us were doing anything "inappropriate!"

bigguy--

The immigration scandal was going on while I was in Montreal last week. For some time now, (female) exotic dancing has been certified as a profession in which there aren't enough native Canadian workers, and therefore dancers from other countries are eligible for special work visas. The main supply is from Romania. The scandal involved the interior minister (Judith Srgo, if memory serves), who gave special treatment to one such dancer (extended her work visa, I believe) who had been working as a volunteer on the minister's political campaign. As a result, and completely illogically, it was decided to cancel the special work status for these dancers. There were quite a few articles in the papers about this, including one about an organized protest by the owners of such clubs, who claimed that revoking the special work status for immigrant dancers would put them out of business.

Now none of this applied to male dancers according to what I read, and since the majority of the guys dancing are Canadians, it wouldn't seem to cause a big problem even if it did.

However, I must admit another thought came to mind when I read the beginning of your post -- that there was a drug bust going on. Drug use by (some) dancers is no secret, and this summer, while I was at Campus, a few cops came in as you described, searched the club, cornered some weird guy (not a dancer) in the john, and led him away. I had been in there just moments before and the guy had spoken to me, and was clearly out of his mind on something.

Hey guys,

bgp: you are certainly right about this putting a damper on things. With police at each entrance, it took every ounce of my energy to walk up to them, looking like I wanted to leave. All they said was: bonsoir. Didn't really feel into going anywhere after that.

newatthis: The next day, the bartender and some dancers told me it was a sweep to check out all dancers, everywhere - to make sure they were eligible to work, had no charges pending or outstanding traffic tickets, not on welfare. etc. Apparently, it is easy to slip through the craks (so to speak) as a dancer...

Oh yeah, I forgot one other thing: the dancers told me that the police told them they could no longer "touch themselves" on stage, which means they gradually lose their raging hardons. The dancers all told me that this would be strictly enforced for a couple of weeks and within a few months, all would be back to normal, just as you said bgp - just in time for our gathering in March!!!! But something tells me that the winter chill will warm things up by New Years Eve!!!

hg2

I have been at Campus a couple of times in the last year when 2 police officers (a male and a female) have entered the club and walked around a bit. I don't recall them going in the back area but I watched them out of the corner of my eye and they disappeared after several minutes without causing any fuss I was aware of. This report about Friday night goes beyond anything I saw previously.

It could be related to drugs or to the immigration issue corncerning the Minister. I know that concerns female strippers but they may be trying to show an even-handedness so as not to be accused of discrimination.

In the past I have heard of 2 strippers from Campus who were Hungarians and who were deported for visa violations. They had danced at Campus and at Remingtons in Toronto and I seem to recall there was an issue of a traffic violation which was how the police first became aware of them but the details are fuzzy.

In any case, it sure puts a damper on when the police become too intrusive in the clubs. Law-abiding (heh-heh) people like me get twitchy!!:o

Chatted with a friend of mine who lives in Montreal, is a big fan of the clubs, and often is able to get his hands on "inside" info.

He confirmed that indeed this was a city wide operation, affecting pretty much all clubs, guys and gals.

Motive?

Probably multifactorial, he said.

As all have mentioned...

1) Immigration checks

2) Drug checks.

3) Public relations (though legal, a LARGE segment of the population frowns on these clubs, and the police need to allay their apprehensions and appear to be right on top of the debauchery)

Bottom line, it seems to be the price of doing business.

On a related note... Taboo trial, this week, finally (maybe).

:-( :-(

Hey luv!

Believe me, it sure did put a damper on things. I am surprised at the calm we all showed. At first, around 8:20 (I think) four uniformed men walked in and walked around. Two minutes later three went in and went right upstairs, with the bartender going with them. Five minutes after that two men were at each entrance and at the entrance to the bathroom at the end of the room. Apparently, wherever the rear exit is, two more men were there. They stayed until they had "processed" each dancer and were gone before 11:00 p.m. (as the shifts are, according to the bartender, 3-9; 6-12; 9-3).

hg2

Hey Marc!

Thanks for the 'inside' info.

If the police were trying to make those who frown on the debauchery feel better, maybe they succeeded ... but I have to say they were very polite, even nice to us customers. That said, it scared the shit out of everyone, and left the place REAL quiet afterwords.

I think we should all follow Karl G's excellent advice in his post today, and get over to Fort Lauderdale - where there are many fine guys to be met. ButI still have a thing for Montreal and those French Canadians!

hg2

One good thing that may come out of this is that it will discourage the sale of drugs at the clubs. There must have been some tense moments the other night for those that engage in this type of activity. In my view, this practice should not be tolerated by the clubs but I have always suspected that management turns a blind eye. Nothing contributes to the downfall of a place of entertainment more than unbridled drug trafficking, which I hate to see. From there, it's only a matter of time before violence enters the picture, and then it's all over. x(

I got some additional insight into this situation last night during a date with a former dancer at Campus who is one of my regulars. He said that in situations like this in the past, the bar was always tipped off one or two days in advance and they would tell the dancers to clean up the drug situation and take whatever other precautions were necessary (like not showing up to work if there were outstanding traffic tickets etc that would cause problems when the police came).

So I suppose this was the case last Friday, since there don't seem to have been any arrests. It really is amusing in a way how these things play out... :+

Archived