Montreal...it ain't just strip clubs

foxy
This topic is 7237 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As wonderful as the clubs are in the gay village there's lots of other things in this gorgeous city worth your time.

There's an incredible exhibit of the works of Jean Cocteau in the modern part of the Musee des Beaux-Arts de Montreal on Rue Sherbrooke Ouest. The building itself is beautiful and has a very nice cafe. I haven't been to the old museum across the street yet. Next time.

The Jardin Botanique, the botanical gardens are gorgeous, especially the Chinese garden. Subway stop Pie-IX. If the weather is good you could easily spend a day here.

Add to this wonderful and often very reasonably priced restaurants and the nicest and most attractive people in North America and you have a perfect destination for a vacation.

Oh yeah, and the strip clubs are fantastic.

I loved the parade this year and thought Air Canada was hysterical!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean there is more than one street in Montreal besides St. Catherine????

Seriously, it was great and fortuitous to run into you in the midst of the throng of people at the post Parade celebration. I thought the energy of that was just wonderful... 100K or more people dancing in the streets... just wonderful.

Wish I could have bought you a lapdance. Knowing your tastes, I think you have fallen in love with Simon at Taboo. He is one that crosses all taste lines... everyone can appreciate this type of beauty.

Sort of like spending time in an art gallery.......

:7

Montreal has so many wonderful things to do! On my recent visit to Montreal, I "did" the Musee des Beaux Arts, and had lunch at the cafe. Both were wonderful. There are other wonderful museums as well. I especially liked the Chateau Ramezay on Notre Dame near the City Hall in Old Montreal.

There are at least 2 main areas for art galleries in Montreal: St. Paul in Vieux Montreal and Sherbrooke, going west from the Musee des Beaux Arts. I found more of the kitschy stuff along St. Paul, but also some quite interesting places as well.

I got interested in Inuit sculpture and crafts, and found the Galerie Elca London, on the south side of Sherbrooke, west of the Musee. The proprietor is both personable and amazingly knowledgeable. A little farther to the west is the marvelous gallery of the Canadian Guild of Crafts. Next to it is a gallery devoted to art made of glass, and is quite amazing. That stretch of Sherbrooke is filled with many antique shops, and galleries of many kinds.

My last trip to Montreal was a long one-8 days.I was able to get a lot of stuff done that I've wanted to do for a long time,Namely see Quebec City(long day trip-and frankly not worth more than 1 day-2 tops)and Attend the Fete National-this is in respect of my Acadian/Quebecois heritage.

I agrre with foxy-and posted such in my trip report,the Cocteau exhibit was great.And foxy you can access the musueum across the street via an underground passage-which houses some canadian modern art as well as some ancient art,the musuem across the street houses mostly canadian and native peoples art-some very interesting things.

I also enjoyed the Chateau Ramsey on this last trip-was the incredibly sexy blond boy there?

Now a helpful tip-You can buy a three day museum pass for under $30 cad,it includes a 3 day metro pass and get you into almost every museum in Montreal,as well as the Jardin botanique,and most of the historical sites-HUGE potential for saving $$$$$!

My next trip will be over Labor day,and that will be it for a while.

I'm fortunate to have gone to many wonderful cities both in the US and abroad. Wherever I am I always ask myself if I would want to live in the place I'm visiting. It's fun because it makes you see a city in a different light. I surprise myself by saying that after NYC, Montreal would be my choice. I hate winter! If Bush gets re-elected I may go live there. To me a city is more about people and not just buildings. There is something very special about the people of Montreal and I believe that it is their desire for the joy of living. What could be better than that?

Foxy~~~

Totally agree with you about living in Montreal, especially if GWB wins in November. I daydream constantly about being able to "afford" uprooting myself and living somewhere in that beautful, friendly, cosmopolitan urban area. Maybe if I scheme hard enough, and have enough "luck", I'll make it :)))

Montreal is indeed a beautiful , wonderful and cultured city! but montreal is not only great for museums. The multicultural aspect. Its great to visit the different areas . Little Italy , China town , Greek town , the eastern european ghetto , Little Lisbone and so on. you guys should maybe add that to your agenda next time ;)

by the way, Montreal uis the third cheapest city in the world after Bangkok and Helsinki

---------------------------------------

you dont stop playing because you grow old , you grow old because you stop playing

Agree with all the above with regard to the beauty of Montreal. I've made over 16 trips there in the past 6 years and have often fantasized about living there. A couple of those trips have occurred in December and (being from Florida) the brutal cold is beyond my tolerance levels. Also, I know numbers, colors, foods and greetings in French, however, cannot seem to figure out Quebecois at all and do not see any language courses offered which could assist. How realistic is it to make a successful move there with such a limited level of language proficiency? Does anyone on the board have the experience of living there with only English language skills? I'd really be interested in finding out about those who have made the transition.

There is a FANTASTIC book about Quebecois french-just out last year-I will have to do some research to find the title for you.

I would not take too much time to "learn"Qubecois-it really is a strange language,and they understand "real"french just fine.I wish I still had the quick pickup on language that I did when I was younger,ahhhh well.

As to living in Montreal,wellllllll It would be great up to about November 15th-and then I would have to go somewhere warmer.I visited over Thanksgiving weekend this year and it was just to damned cold-and walking on that ice and salt ruined my shoes.

Of course if we were Canadian citizens we could winter in Cuba very cheaply!

Guest Aquario

I don't want to make anybody jealous, but I live in Montreal... in the Gay Village... and 4 blocks from Taboo. Although I don't care much about Taboo as I'm not into twinks.

Indeed, winter can be cruel in Montreal. However, I'd probably miss it if I were to move somewhere in the South.

>Now a helpful tip-You can buy a three day museum pass for

>under $30 cad,it includes a 3 day metro pass and get you into

>almost every museum in Montreal,as well as the Jardin

>botanique,and most of the historical sites-HUGE potential for

>saving $$$$$!

Bigguy--

You are super-traveler! If I had known about this, I could have saved big $$$ on my last trips. Thanks.

Holy Shit. I cannot believe what I am reading. Is there anything outside of the Village? I have been to Montreal about 200 times over the years and didn't know this. I guess I will have to take another trip up there to discover the other aspects of the city.

Fire....you ready for me? :)

Guest Kevin 2

>Now a helpful tip-You can buy a three day museum pass for

>under $30 cad,it includes a 3 day metro pass and get you into

>almost every museum in Montreal,as well as the Jardin

>botanique,and most of the historical sites-HUGE potential for

>saving $$$$$!

Where do you buy this pass? Any of the museums? Thanks

>>Now a helpful tip-You can buy a three day museum pass for

>>under $30 cad,it includes a 3 day metro pass and get you

>into

>>almost every museum in Montreal,as well as the Jardin

>>botanique,and most of the historical sites-HUGE potential

>for

>>saving $$$$$!

>

>Where do you buy this pass? Any of the museums? Thanks

http://www.toutmontreal.com/english/eguide/museums.html

Click link above for full details

>>>Now a helpful tip-You can buy a three day museum pass for

>>>under $30 cad,it includes a 3 day metro pass and get you

>>into

>>>almost every museum in Montreal,as well as the Jardin

>>>botanique,and most of the historical sites-HUGE potential

>>for

>>>saving $$$$$!

>>

>>Where do you buy this pass? Any of the museums? Thanks

>

>

>http://www.toutmontreal.com/english/eguide/museums.html

More details http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/b2c_target/news/en/html/1316_en.asp

>

>Click link above for full details

Hey Oz,

U still don't know there is a Palace in Bangkok, so the chances of you discovering something outside the Village in Montreal is ???????.

Maybe if we can find a restaurant with good Spaghetti Bolognese outside the Village , we can broaden your horizons but of course it will have to be staffed by cute waiters.

>Both of these are in the "Plateau"area and both have very cute

>servers.

Speaking of cute servers, Le Club Sandwich is finally getting some. This last trip there was Tampa's favorite short haired tight assed waiter who gets big tips from Tampa even when he fucks up our order and makes us wait 90 minutes to get the wrong food.

But there was one for me too. He was training. Cute friendly tall blond twink with a great smile... tipped him a twenty just for being cute and got a big grateful kiss and a big blush from him for it.

FINALLY... something besides the fact that it is open to make going to that place worthwhile!

}(

Guest Tampa Yankee

Man does not live by bread alone...

>Speaking of cute servers, Le Club Sandwich is finally getting

>some. This last trip there was Tampa's favorite short haired

>tight assed waiter who gets big tips from Tampa even when he

>fucks up our order and makes us wait 90 minutes to get the

>wrong food.

I have all the time in the world for him!! Any thoughts of food are transformed to a HUNGRY URGE }(

(humming tune to 'Hungry Eyes')

Guest Tampa Yankee

So right about this...

My favorite way to sight see is to have a dancer offer to take me around town on his day off. Some have treated me very well. No quid pro quo sought or offered.

BTW, dont miss the small chruch in Old Montreal. Very ornate spectacle.

Appreciate the offer, Bigguy, to help with the Quebecois language book. If you remember it down the road, please pass along the title; I'd be interested. The perfect scenario would be to live in Florida (I do) from November to April and spend May to October in Montreal (I wish) enjoying all culture of the city, the seasonal festivals, AND the strip clubs on a regular basis. Till the fairy godmother pays out, I will have to enjoy it sparingly throughout the year. :-)

Guest msclonly

Gee, there are special Museums in every large city,

but Montreal has something more to spend your time in, when they are closed and you have to sleep during the day.

:)

I of course echo everyone's comments. Montreal is a great city for just wandering around. And the public transit is very good. I'm not religious at all, but there are many interesting and beautiful churches in Montreal as well. I liked the McCord Museum of Canadian history.

I bought my museum pass at the tourist info "store" on Rue Notre Dame.

Tourism Montreal publishes an excellent official tourist guide they will happily mail to you. I got one in advance of my trip and it really helped in my planning. Totally free of course and they will also include their gay tourism map and brochure if you ask. You can inquire on their website.

Here's the link to my photos from my trip earlier in the summer:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/socrguy11us/album?.dir=/c4ee&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Archived