Dancer Compensation

eastbayguy
This topic is 7630 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recently, I've gotten sociable with a couple of the dancers at Dick's in Phoenix. A few of the boys have been attending pool parties at my house over the summer. The guys are telling me that they have to pay Dick's to dance there. As a business practice, this must violate some state labor practice or other. I can't believe that a business could require specific working hours, standards and so forth from employees, and they require the employee to pay for the priveledge.

Do other strip clubs do this? I was more than a little shocked when I learned this. What's the story.

--EBG

>Do other strip clubs do this? I was more than a little

>shocked when I learned this. What's the story.

>

>--EBG

I don't think this is an unusual practice, other clubs receive compensation from dancers for the use of "back-rooms" and for working there. At the Gaiety the dancers are paid, but more money is made from tips and private shows. BTW, how does one get invited to your pool parties? :+

>The guys are

>telling me that they have to pay Dick's to dance there.

>...

>Do other strip clubs do this? I was more than a little

I have heard of this in other places, and it does not seem to be uncommon. The Gaiety pays dancers, as Cooper has said, but not much. As far as I know, dancers in Montreal do not pay the house, and are also not paid by the house. But at Remington's in Toronto 2 different dancers told me that they pay a nominal sum to the house for the privilege of dancing there, and they are also expected to pay or "tip" the DJ separately. I have heard of other clubs where the dancers pay some nominal amount as well.

Presumably the justification is something like this. (I'm just speculating and relating, and am not either approving or disapproving, so if you don't like this practice please don't complain to me.)

--The dancers are freelancers, not employees of the club. Patrons pay them directly for their services and the house is not involved in the transaction. (The Gaiety is an exception in that it is set up differently, and note that you cannot get a lap dance at the Gaiety; it is strictly a stage show.)

--The club allows the dancers to operate on its premises, both for displaying and selling their product.

--The club charges a fee for the privilege of using its premises in that way. Sort of like a concession stand at some kinds of events, or when you rent a table or booth at various kinds of expositions/shows.

The other way of thinking (like in Montreal) of course is that the customers buy drinks and the dancers are what attracts customers to this bar as opposed to another one, so they get to dance there free. But they are still not paid by the house.

>>Do other strip clubs do this? I was more than a little

Every once in a while there's something on the news or TV about the straight strip clubs here in SF and I've heard at times women dancers complain about the fee they have to pay the house to perform.

I assume it's like the product placement fees that some food products companies pay to grocery stores for end cap displays.

SF Viking

east, I understand that stockbrokers and insurance representatives often pay rental for their desk, telephone, and secretarial support. That gives them the right to use that company for the own business promotion. etc. Looks like the same thing. . . .

Archived