Mister Manners

Will
This topic is 8137 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've just read the new Message Center Rules and want to say that I think they seem reasonable, flexible, and that only the most egregious sorts of offenders need fear any change from the past. I've never participated in any form of discussion that didn't have guidelines and I don't see why we shouldn't observe them here. Congratulations, and thanks. Maybe somebody should start a forum here called "Mister Manners," in which all sorts of "what do I do if..?" topics might be discussed. This site is culturally diverse with a vengeance -- a sort of UN for fags -- and sometimes we forget that the on-line uniformity of posting might mask the real and authentic differences that are really there, in front of all those thousands of computer monitors.

Guest regulation

Frankly, I don't see much difference between the "new" rules and the "old" rules. Is there any?

Prior to the shutdown of the message center, a number of the more interesting posters left because of their disapproval of the censorship that had begun. I think there must be an acknowledgment that intelligent, interesting, opinionated adults don't like to be censored and are not likely to spend much time on a message board that features arbitrary censorship. A board can be civil and bland or it can be freewheeling, sometimes nasty, and interesting -- not both.

I totally agree with you Will. I find the Message Center to be a much nicer place and hopefully that will encourage others to post who had refrained from posting here in the past. I believe it's quite possible to have both a civil and an interesting message board at the same time. I suppose time will tell whether that is true or not.:-)

JEFF

jeff4hire@aol.com

>I think there must be an acknowledgment that intelligent, interesting , opinionated adults don't like to be censored and are not likely to spend much time on a message board that features arbitrary censorship.

So which of these adjectives apply to us? Those of us still left.

Intelligent? Interesting? Opinionated?

While I miss many of the people that are not posting anymore, I respect the fact they voted with their feet to demonstrate their conviction. It seems somewhat pointless to carp about censorship now.

So why are you still here? For me while I miss the others I still hope to meet interesting people and be exposed to different ideas. And hopefully have a laugh or two. While I don't agree with all the decisions that have been made, I have to accept it and move on. I'm not interested in old fights, are you?

Jeff

Guest regulation

>So which of these adjectives apply to us? Those of us still

>left.

>Intelligent? Interesting? Opinionated?

None of the above.

>While I miss many of the people that are not posting

>anymore, I respect the fact they voted with their feet to

>demonstrate their conviction. It seems somewhat pointless to

>carp about censorship now.

Then don't do it. You go right ahead and behave in whatever manner you think is appropriate, and I'll do the same. I'm not offering you any advice on how to behave and I don't want any advice from you.

>So why are you still here? For me while I miss the others I

>still hope to meet interesting people and be exposed to

>different ideas. And hopefully have a laugh or two. While I

>don't agree with all the decisions that have been made, I

>have to accept it and move on. I'm not interested in old

>fights, are you?

I come to this message board because I enjoy absurdity, and I have never found a website that produces more of it than this one. The ridiculous things that hookers and johns say, and in particular the absurd rationalizations they come up with to explain their behavior are what draws me here. So long as that doesn't dry up, I'll keep visiting.

As for old fights, I'm not an historian. But I don't have amnesia either. I remember plenty of insulting behavior by the author of this thread, and by HooBoy and his minions as well. I am not about to listen to any of them preach about civility, because I know from personal experience that they don't practice what they preach. If they behave in a civil manner from now on, that's fine with me. If they start to lecture others on the subject, I may feel compelled to remind them of their own past actions.

Guest Tampa Yankee

"I come to this message board because I enjoy absurdity..."

and from message #2 in the thread 'Thank You Tampa Yankee' :

I'm afraid I didn't pay any attention to this contest, since I consider it utterly absurd.

Hmmm...

As for old fights, I'm not an historian.

You are too modest... your ability to call up history cannot be overstated. :-)

Sorry I cannot hang for a reply. I'm off the Big Apple for some Big Fun -- things to do, places to go... Gaiety, Reds, The Roxy... hmmm that's just the first night itinerary -- all I'll cop to publicly, before the fact anyway. :-) I do love celebrating President's Day Weekend.

Have a great weekend Reg and all...

:-)

Guest regulation

>"I come to this message board because I enjoy

>absurdity..."

>

>and from message #2 in the thread 'Thank You Tampa

>Yankee':

>

>I'm afraid I didn't pay any attention to this contest,

>since I consider it utterly absurd.

>

>Hmmm...

I like anchovies too. That doesn't mean I want to have them for breakfast, lunch and supper. Some things are too absurd even for me. Especially a Prostitute of the Year contest. What's next, Drug Dealer of the Year?

>As for old fights, I'm not an historian.

>

>You are too modest... your ability to call up history cannot

>be overstated.

I don't blame you for being bitter about that. If one has a great desire to lecture others on appropriate behavior it must be rather annoying to encounter someone who remembers the many occasions on which one hasn't lived up to the standards one urges on others. Sorry about that. :-)

>Sorry I cannot hang for a reply. I'm off the Big Apple for

>some Big Fun

Why tell me? I'm not a travel agent.

Guest Tampa Yankee

>>"I come to this message board because I enjoy

>>absurdity..."

>>

>>and from message #2 in the thread 'Thank You Tampa

>>Yankee':

>>

>>I'm afraid I didn't pay any attention to this contest,

>>since I consider it utterly absurd.

>>

>>Hmmm...

>

>I like anchovies too. That doesn't mean I want to have them

>for breakfast, lunch and supper.

If this is an apt analogy then I understand -- I am not an anchovie fan. :-)

>>As for old fights, I'm not an historian.

>>

>>You are too modest... your ability to call up history cannot

>>be overstated.

>

>I don't blame you for being bitter about that.

Sorry Reg, no bitterness here -- absolutely none.

>If one has a

>great desire to lecture others on appropriate behavior it

>must be rather annoying to encounter someone who remembers

>the many occasions on which one hasn't lived up to the

>standards one urges on others. Sorry about that. :-)

No need to apologize Reg. Also, sorry this is not on my list of great desires and you are not an annoyance. I just thought you were selling yourself short and I think you supported my point.

>

>>Sorry I cannot hang for a reply. I'm off the Big Apple for

>>some Big Fun

>

>Why tell me? I'm not a travel agent.

Just thought it would be polite to indicate my delay in response to your reply.

:-)

Guest regulation

>If this is an apt analogy then I understand -- I am not an

>anchovie fan.

It's your loss. :-)

>Also, sorry this is not on my list

>of great desires

My, you really have changed! New Year's resolution?

>Just thought it would be polite to indicate my delay in

>response to your reply.

It was, as they say, too much information.

Archived