Nitrous Oxide

Guest PhxMasseur
This topic is 8205 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest PhxMasseur

I took Hooboys recommendation and ordered the poppers from picture brite. On the site I saw an ad for nitrous oxide, I've never used it before so I'm curious. What does it do and how do you use it? Any bad side effects?

Nitrous Oxide (no2) is a pain killer. Dentists, in particular, have used it in lieu of novacain on occasions, but they prefer novacain since it is more sure to work. Personally, I did "whip-its" in my teenage days when I worked in an icecream store. (Nitrous oxide is used in cans of whipped cream.) At the end of the can, there would be some remnant of no2, and one could inhale the gas, hold one's breath and feel light headed and some level of tingling, etc. I did it sparingly and on few occasions. Once you breath regularly a few times, the effect stops. While it is not considered addictive nor very dangerous, people have died doing it. :( Mainly, they suck so much no2 that they don't get enough oxygen (o2) and pass out or die. While a dentist carefully mixes the o2 with the no2 to get the desired effect, the stuff that comes in the whipped cream or that you buy in small canisters is pure no2 so it must be inhaled carefully. It's a rather short-term buzz with a potential high risk factor. I haven't done one in years. I hope this helps.

I believe this is the same as "Laughing Gas". When used by the dentist, it gives you a "floating" feeling and you don't give a damn about what is being done to you.

There has been at least one death per year in my state as a result of kids stealing the gas and using it. I also believe the damage comes from oxygen starvation.

I personally wouldn't recommend using it. Also, I'm skeptical about whether the "real" nitrous oxide can be sold without a prescription. I believe it is a controlled substance and suspect that what's being sold is a chemical similarity but not the real thing. At the very least, it's probably diluted and not in its pure form.

At Northwestern, we used to sit around in a circle and fill Hefty bags with it, stick our heads in and breathe until we fell into fetal positions on the floor writhing about. At that point the others sitting in the circle would rip your clenched fists from the bag and bring you into fresh air. Boy were we silly.

Later.

PS. Sometimes I wonder if my heads still in the bag.

Archived