Rio Hotels

MscleLovr
This topic is 7144 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'd value some advice on hotels in Rio de Janeiro please. I have read the FAQ and the threads.

I'm organising a first holiday in Rio from Europe. It would be later this month, and my travel agent can sell me a "package" at a good price but it has to consist of flights and a good hotel.

I'm an "out" gay man so I'm comfortable with telling Reception that I'm having a guy to stay in my room. But I would like a modern hotel with excellent facilities, in a good location, that has good security... and I'd like to know whether these hotels are fine with my having male visitors as overnight guests.

The travel agent suggested 10 hotels, including the Excelsior Copacabana, Le Meridien, Sofitel, Sheraton and Intercontinental. Although I've checked locations and done some research, I would appreciate the advice of M4Mers.

Also, I saw a post that mentioned Marcio as a good tour-guide but I found no reference to him in the threads. Is there contact info for him, please?

MscleLovr:

I've been going to Rio since 1988 and have stayed in most of the hotels you've listed. Here's my opinion on a few of them. The Sheraton is a nice hotel, good food, clean and well run. It has a great pool area if you are a pool person, and has tennis courts if you play tennis. A lot of airline crews stay there, you'll see tons of American Airlines Flight Attnedants around the pool. The location of the Sheraton is not great. Its listed as a beachfront hotel, but nobody from the hotel goes to the small beach that is in front of the hotel. Only the kids from the slum close by go there. If you want to go to Copacabana or Ipanema Beach you will have to have a very long walk or a cab ride every day. Same goes for the Intercontinental. Nice but not close to anything you would probably be interested in if you are a regular reader of this site. The Meridian is a nice hotel but it is located at the end of Copacabana beach on the border of Leme. The Sofitel is also a very nice hotel, great pool area, good food and has prime location if you are looking to divide your time between Copacabana and Ipanema, as it is at the end of Copacabana near an area called Aporador that connects Ipanema and Copacabana. The Sofitel has good security also, and I think they charge to have guests in your room in the evening. I would also recommend the Marriott, which is in the center of Copacabana beach. VERY well run hotel, good security, good rooftop pool area, good food, they do charge if you have a guest overnight, but they dont hassle you about it. Its in close proximity to the Saunas and is comporable in price to the other ones that you've listed. Good Luck!!

The Excelsior is also a good option at a somewhat lower price. It's next door to the Copacabana Palace, facing the beach right across from Maxim's (a former heavily gay sidewalk cafe) and Trattoria, an excellent Italian restaurant that's been around forever and is gay-friendly. I don't know their policy on guests; perhaps someone else here does. The hotel was remodeled and modernized in the past few years. Their "executive lunch" buffet is supposed to be quite good, in their restaurant overlooking the beach. It's probably the same space where your included breakfast will be served until about 10:30 a.m.

The Marriott is the best located 5-star international chain hotel to the Copacabana saunas, but it will probably be more than the Excelsior. It has fairly strict security. Other posters have stayed there and should be able to comment on it. It's located on the beachfront at r. Figueiredo de Magalhães. Walking inland along Figueiredo will bring you to the Citibank ATM (at the corner of Figueiredo and N.S. de Copacabana) and an HSBC branch with ATMs on the same block, shortly past Citibank. Continuing along Figueiredo will bring you to Estação, just around the corner to your right when you reach r. Toneleros. Continuing to the next corner you will be at r. Siqueira Campos, where the Hotel Atlântico is located. Turning left at Siqueira Campos, you will reach both Roger's and Point 202 within a couple of blocks (see the Brazilian Saunas review for exact directions). Walking up the beachfront avenue from the Marriott to Siqueira and turning left will bring you to the Siqueira Grill "por kilo" restaurant that's popular with M4Mers (about 1/2 block inland). Continuing past the Grill to the next corner and turning right along the square will bring you to Corujinha, occupying the next corner. That's the unofficial M4M nocturnal hangout, starting around 10:30 p.m.

The Excelsior is also within walking distance of all these places, but it would be about 4 more blocks than the Marriott. The difference in price might make the extra walk worth your while!

Except for the Marriott, DO NOT stay at any 5-star hotel. Security is a nightmare. The Sheraton and Intercontinental are both much too far from Copacabana to be good options for M4Mers. (Although the Sunday brunch at the Sheraton is a treat -- lavish spread and spectacular views when the weather is beautiful, and not very crowded. Sunday brunch at the Meridien or the Copacabana Palace are also worthwhile splurges.)

If your agent can book you into the Hotel Atlântico Copacabana (at r. Siqueira Campos and Toneleros - http://www.atlanticocopacabana.com.br) or the Royal Rio Palace (http://www.royalrio.com/eng/index.html) they've both been much discussed here and are favorites with M4Mers.

Thank you for a wonderfully lengthy and informative reply. (One small question: is there only 1 Marriott in Rio?)

To get the great deal on the flights, I have to use one of the hotels where they have negotiated rooms/rates. I have checked into booking flights and hotels separately, but it's much more expensive.

I had read all about the Atlantico - I respect their friendliness but I think I want more security - and the Royal Rio - which I think has more of the comfort and facilities I want

I'd be grateful if any M4Mers can comment on the Marriott and the Excelsior as to their attitude and policy (policing?) towards male visitors and overnight guests

I think there's only one Marriott in Rio. This one (I believe) is a J.W. Marriott, and it certainly is the only with an Av. Atlântica address. The lobby is busy and I suspect that it's not TOO hard to sneak in with a well-dressed, lighter-skinned guest. Tomcal should be able to tell you ALL about the Marriott and sneaking guests in!

I believe I heard that the Excelsior allows guests as long as you check them in (which is also for your safety) and pay an extra charge per night. If you book your room at the double, rather than single, rate you may be able to avoid the extra charge.

A word in defense of the Sheraton. It is the only hotel in Rio, even remorely close to Ipanema and Copacabana, directly on the beach which means sleeping with the sound of waves in the background. You will need a cab late at night, but buses to everywhere stop directly in front of the hotel. I am not suggesting that you spent your entire Rio vacation there. But, it's a cool place to spend a few days.

You may hear the waves, but I cannot in good conscience recommend staying at the Sheraton. It's far away from everything, and the ONLY way to get there is by cab. More importantly, the picturesque favela right across the street (Vidigal) is currently involved in a shooting drug turf war with the nearby favela of Rocinha. No hotel guests have been hurt, but there have been closures of the road leading to the hotel when violence breaks out, and the hotel is kind of vulnerable. I certainly wouldn't want to be in a room facing the favela!

The drug war will wear itself out, as these things seem to do, but even when peace and quiet are restored, the Sheraton is very inconveniently located. You can't really walk to anything. Unless you really are searching for splendid isolation, I'd give it a wide berth (except for the previously mentioned brunch, which makes a visit worthwhile -- the dining room DOESN'T face the favela).

Tri,

I stayed at the Sheraton for a few days on 1999, because I did want some peace and quiet at least in the morning. The views of the ocean from the hotel rooms is pretty awesome. THERE IS A PUBLIC BUS STOP right in front of the hotel and buses stopped frequently (at least in 1999). As we both mentioned, a cab is a necessity late at night.

In 1999, the Sheraton was a hotel for tourists who wanted to visit Rio and take guided tours. The tour desk was the hot spot in the hotel, which really turned me off. I was perhaps the only guest in the hotel who made frequent use of the public bus. You can walk, although Leblon is a very long walk. So I basically agree with you, especially with the present violence in the neighborhood. If that ever clears up, I want to make it clear that the Sheraton does have some very good points (which are outweighed by the minuses that you mentioned).

Alan

There's no question that the views from the Sheraton are gorgeous. It's beautifully sited. However, the Vidigal favela has grown over the years, coming ever closer to the hotel, which is just across the road from it. Assuming peace and quiet return (which it will as soon as the police and drug dealers finish killing each other off) it's primarily a hotel for expense-account executives and package tour groups who want to insulate themselves from the real Rio. Obviously that's not my cup of tea, but just as obviously it suits some other people just fine! :)

Guest Tomcal_

The Marriott is a very nice hotel with a great location and close to everything that a M4M would be interested in. The Shereton where my friend and I booked our first visit in Oct. of 2001, we were supposed to stay one week and stayed ONE night! Nice hotel, terrible location to get anywhere from. We moved to the Sol Ipenema Hotel, right across from the gay beach at Rua Farme, not in the league of the Shereton but a hell of a lot better location. Then when I realized the saunas, metro(subway) restaurants we went to were in Copa, next visit stayed at the Marriott. Great hotel with a rooftop pool/eating area with incredible views. located dead center on the curve of Copa beach. and within walking distance of suanas, metro and Corujinhas, Maxims' etc. If you want to get a guy into Marriott without paying the extra charge, act as if you are going to the 2nd floor restaurant/bar, when you get up there look down at the lobby and usually the security guys will still be watching, but when they start to talk into their shoulder mics or look at the doorway to see who is coming in, go to the elevators and directly to your room...this worked 7 nights in a row for me and they were getting very frustrated , but could never catch me!! lol

Saying all that. The Atlantico is great and for a new hotel with all the modern conviences and ammenities I like the Rio Royal,

After staying at the Atlantico on three of my visits-- last month I resided at the Royal RIo for eleven days to change the pace. It's all that Tom and Tri and Ron have stated in previous threads. I wanted a different experience, and I truly received it. I definitely liked the neighborhood here moreso than the one that surrounds the Atlantico.

But men, if you go to the saunas in Copacabana-- the Royal Rio is about an eight block walk to them. I walked so much in RIo that my end steps hurt.

Usually I'd take a taxi back to the hotel, but on two nights (not too late) I walked back to the RR.

...didn't have any company at the Royal Rio; perhaps on my next visit I will...

Archived