Eduardo/Carlo?!?

goingtorio
This topic is 7419 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

Did I miss something?? Who said you are going to "run into liars, cheats and thieves"? No more then you/I do in business every day here.(Enron ring a bell?) I don't like making sweeping generalizations, and I think the above is the epitome of stereotyping when, if its' coming from where I think it is, a statement due to ignorance and carelessness on the part of the the person who said the above not the people in Rio...or NYC, or L.A. etc. IMHO

This is the first I've heard about this situation.  What concerns me about it is that Hoo doesn't say that he ever discussed what happened with Eduardo, afterwards.  If one of Eduardo's roommates is ripping off his business (and leaving a bad taste in clients' mouths) he needs to know about it.  Eduardo would also have seen to it that Hoo got his money back.  Eduardo's been very helpful in the past assisting guys who've had problems with one of the boys (like getting back things taken from their rooms). 

"No, thank you, please have Eduardo call me" would have been an appropriate response when the unknown Carlo offered his services.  That would have avoided this particular experience. 

This ISN'T an everyday occurrence, but it's not completely unexpected or unheard of. 

The guys who aren't from Rio end up sharing apartments with several guys in order to

economize, and there's often high turnover, so they don't always know their

roommates very well.  Occasionally they end up with a bad apple and have to get rid

of him, but they don't always know unless someone tells them what their roommates

have been up to.

In any case, 99% of the guys you run into are honest and deliver what they promise, so you don't hear much about them.  It's the problems you hear about (just like the

local TV news in the U.S. would make you think that every city is an armed camp filled

with murderers and rapists and child abusers).  That can create a false impression. 

The vast majority of visitors here have good experiences.  So will you as long as you

use common sense while you're here!

RE: Hoo's Problems

This is strictly speculation, because I haven't met Hoo or discussed events with him in any detail by e-mail, but I suspect that a big part of his problems has been that "won't-ask-for-directions syndrome."

Hoo doesn't speak Portuguese fluently, according to his posts, but I'm guessing that he understands (and speaks) less than he thinks he does, and that has led to misunderstandings and problems. If he's reluctant to ask for assistance when he doesn't fully understand what's being said, then it's inevitable that problems will arise!

Phrase books and pocket dictionaries are an INDISPENSABLE part of a traveller's baggage when visiting a country whose language they don't speak. Interpreters are very useful, too, and essential when trying to do business or negotiate arrangements.

Equally important is the advice of locals and experienced travellers to the country. There's a REASON us "old Brazil hands" keep telling newbies not to invite unknown guys to their hotel rooms! There's also a reason we keep telling people to treat the guys they meet with dignity and respect: it goes a very long way towards avoiding problems. If you treat a guy like shit, you can expect to be treated that way in return. Revenge is a finely honed art in Latin cultures (an entire telenovela industry has burgeoned based on characters creatively getting even with one another) and if you cross someone, it's very likely they'll decide to get even. I don't know if Hoo has been discourteous or disrespectful to anyone, so I can't say that's been the motive here, but if he doesn't speak or understand the language well he may have said or done something inadvertently that someone took as an insult or worse.

There are also cultural faux pas that can be made inadvertently. For example: In Brazil, some people get highly offended if you don't first greet them and/or shake their hands when you first meet them. It's considered extremely rude. You always greet people when you enter a shop, or get into a taxi or encounter a group of acquaintances. When the sauna guys stop by Corujinha in the evening, if they stop at a table full of visiting gringos they'll go around and greet and shake hands with every single person there. The same behavior is expected when you leave a group where you're being social, or when getting out of a taxi (you wish the driver a good day and say "ciao"), etc. These are easy things to do even if you don't speak much Portuguese, and your stock will rise inestimably among Brazilians if you do these things.

The moral of this posting: Use common sense, don't invite unknowns to your hotel/apartment, don't leave valuables out where they can be temptations, use dictionaries or phrase books (or interpreters) to communicate, treat the people you meet courteously and with dignity and respect, and you should have no problems. You'll just have a great experience and a memorable visit!

RE: Hoo's Problems

It's unfortunate that Hoo's problems/experiences have raised some unwarranted questions. Although I do not consider myself an expert when it comes to traveling in Brasil, I, at least, consulted this forum and read voraciously before going the first, second, and the third time. As a result of my prior preparation-- I did not encounter ANY difficulties (in spite of my not having very much command of Brasilian Portuguese). When I was there in October, I took the bus to various places; some folks mistook me as a Brasilian; they began to ask questions of me and carry on a brief dialogue: I smiled and had to say politely that I did not speak Portuguese. They apologized and smiled and went on their way. I had to smile, too!

Anyway- as a once newbie to Rio-- I'd strongly suggest that anyone who anticipates traveling there (as well as to other places, even domestically)-- should do his homework in order to avoid unnecessary, avoidable problems. This forum is steeped with valuable information; use it.

And gentlemen-- try not to GENERALIZE about anyone or any situation based on one BAD experience! Some people and places already have a "bad" rap and rep based on someone's salacious generalizing!

Archived