Itinerary advice?

BillyZ
This topic is 7939 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

You guys have sold me on Brazil for my December vacation!

Along with city tours, day trips, and the "must-see" tourist sights, I want to make the most of the scene you've been vividly describing.

I'd like to go beyond Rio and SP. I'm intrigued by comments about the unspoiled, less touristed, smaller cities. So...

* If I can get away for three weeks, how would you allocate the days by city?

* If I can get away for only two weeks, where should I visit?

;-) Thanks for your advice!

SP: 3 - 4 days

Rio: As much as you want to give it. There's lots to see and do in the city and surroundings (like Petropolis, the old imperial summer capital, 90 minutes away up in the mountains).

Parati: An old colonial port, now a weekend getaway and artists colony, in a spectabularly beautiful setting. A 4-hour bus ride from Rio. 3 days, if you go.

If you decide to fly somewhere else, you can see a lot of what's interesting in Salvador or Recife (both with lots of historical sites) in 3 or 4 days, each. You can fly to Belo Horizonte (not that interesting in and of itself) and catch a bus to Ouro Preto, which is the supreme example of a baroque colonial gold mining town, in 3 - 4 days. You want at least two full days and one night in Ouro Preto. BH is worth a day or so; if you're there on a Friday the Hothouse sauna is an extremely festive place to spend the afternoon/evening!

Hope this helps! :D

Yes, Tri, as I mentioned to you, I think way back in February of this year, that book is waiting to be written! You're a "gem of wisdom and timely advice" when it comes to Brazil. All of the men who frequent this site should be indebted to you, not jealous or bitchy as I have seen some of them be towards you! But as a fellow respondent stated to me in writing last week that no matter what is written, some man or men on this site and at this forum would be derogative. Those were not his exact words, but I cited the gist of them! Tremendous thanks to you, man!

Your advice to the fellow who coined this thread has helped me to continue to formulate itinerary.

Sexiest smaller cities?

Thank you, Tri (and Traveller), for the valuable recommendations!

Beyond Rio and SP and Iguassu Falls (and putting aside scenery or history, both of which I'm interested in but this is a different question), how would you (and anyone else) rank order the places mentioned above strictly in terms of good saunas (or other venues) and congenial local guys...

* Salvador

* Recife

* Belo Horizonte (on a Friday)

* Ouro Preto

* Florianopolis

:-) Thanks again for sharing your insights!

Hey TB use your influence to get my posts to count. I started before you. Well maybe not on this name or handle but have changed mine so that it would count but guess what? It still doesn't not sure why? Many suggestions, many ideas but no real answer's. HUGS Chuck

I know it's the Voodo software God and before Deej tells me it has been discussed here before. I will tell him it hasn't been fixed. Been to Daddy and the Bank but Bull Shit still walks.

I agree about Iguaçu Falls. They're beyond spectacular. Splurge and try to stay at the Hotel Tropical, on the Brazilian side in the national park, or at the hotel in the national park on the Argentine side. I think it's now run by Sheraton. You'll want to spend more time on the Argentine side, because the falls are actually mostly on that side and the walks and trails get you right up close to the thundering water. From the Brazilian side you get the grand panoramic view of the whole shebang (although part of the falls are on the Brazilian side and you can get close to the water there, too). At night, if the sky is clear, be sure to go outside and look at the stars if you're staying in the parks. The southern sky is simply mind-boggling in the number of stars visible to the naked eye, with great swaths of the Milky Way cutting across it.

Except to say you've been to Paraguay, you can skip Ciudad del Este while you're in the area. Ciudad del Este makes Tijuana look like Paris, in comparison.

As for "most festive," of the cities you listed I'd say Salvador/Recife, Belo Horizonte and Florianopolis, in that order. Salvador and Recife (with adjoining Olinda) are both very large old cities with many historical sites, interesting food, good beaches, etc. Floripa is very pretty and pleasant, but it's not huge and there isn't much to see besides beaches and scenery. I'd suggest saving it for a second trip to Brazil (but go in the summer, when things are hopping, because in the winter it can be cool and very quiet during the off-season).

Belo Horizonte is a huge city and has a lot of gay life, but it's rather like SP in that there isn't that much to see or do for a tourist. It's a good place to use as a base for exploring some of the other colonial cities. Very close to BH (it's now really a suburb) is Sabará, one of the oldest colonial mining towns. From the main bus station in BH there are buses and vans to Sabará; it takes about half an hour to get there. If you're in BH on a Satuday or Sunday, take in the huge handicrafts fair on the closed-off main drag downtown. BH can be a very pleasant place, but it really isn't a tourist destination, and without Portuguese I think it would be rather dull for a visitor after a day or two.

Ouro Preto is a must see, because it's so breathtakingly beautiful, but it's small and there's not much of a gay scene. It is a college town, though, so there are always some horny students around. . . But the main reason to go is the beauty of the town, which is perfectly preserved and, most deservedly, a UNESCO world monument. Ouro Preto was the capital of Minas Gerais during the days of the gold and diamond booms, so it's filled with exiquisite colonial buildings and baroque churches.

So there's a tour in a nutshell!

Will December be OK climatewise?

According to worldclimate.com, the average daily temperatures in December look fine -- Rio 77 and Sao Paulo 69!

But, December is also the start of the so-called "rainy season" -- 5.4 inches in Rio and 7.3 inches in SP, although those figures do not sound too wet to me. Am I correct in thinking these are short afternoon showers and not monsoons?

:D Thanks again!

I suggeat the entire 3 weeks in Rio. In the past few years I have been "forced" to spend three weeks each in Syndey (lost luggage) and

Paris (no planes right after Sept. 11.) I really got to know both cities and had a awesome time. I have also been to Rio and know that

three full weeks in the city would be hard to beat. I should confess that on my first trip to Brazil to tried to see too much and regreted

not spending more time in Rio, something I corrected on subsequent trips!

Guest Thunderbuns

>I suggeat the entire 3 weeks in Rio.

I think that's a great idea - anything less seems too much like the "14 countries in 9 days" tours of Europe.

Thunderbuns

Guest tighthole

RE: Sexiest smaller cities?

I agree that it's essential that you go to Iguazu. Take the tour (boat ride) in the motor-powered rubber boats that are run by the Brazilian army. Although it could be a little bit terrifying for the aquaphobic or faint of heart, it's safe. You get really close to the breathtaking falls. The small boat travels upstream against the river's massive, powerful current. And yes, if possible stay in the hotel in the national park on the Brazilian side and visit the Argentinian side as well. I'm not familiar with the hotel on the Argentinian side so I can't comment about it.

When I flew from Rio to Iguazu, I got a flight with a stop over in Curitiba at no extra cost. Curitia is a pleasant, fairly orderly city of over 1 million people of predominately European ancestry which will give you a different feel for Brazil than Rio, SP, Belo Horizonte or the cities in the Northeast (Salvador, Recife). And, if you have an extra day or two, in high season (their summmer), there's a spectacular train ride from Curitiba to the coast that goes through glorious semi-tropical mountains.

These suggestions are exciting for me yet overwhelming. Will some of you gents plan an intinerary for me if this is not asking too much? Once this is done-- the trip is a true given. I plan to leave my coastal town on the 8th of October and return to the US and to Monterey, CA on-- I believe the 28th of the month. I plan to fly to Rio and out of San Paulo. Please fill in the core for me. I want to go to I Falls and to Salvador and to Parati. ...have yet to consult map as to location and distance. ...have a tentative B...PASS, but I find it to be more than I want to pay-- 500 plus. That's dear as the British and Australians say.

I have also been reading what's in LONELY PLANET for one week, two week, so forth. ...want to spend a week and a day or two more in Rio before venturing onward. ...could stay until the 31st and leave on the 1st of November. Time is not a problem,but as a FIRST TIMER, I don't want to attempt to cover too much territory and become a physical zombie. I have another trip to take in mid November in the States.

P.S. One respondent at this forum wrote me some weeks ago inviting me to join them, but I had to decline since at that time my days of travel were different. Is this invitation still on? If you read this, please email or write to me via this forum. Thanks! AX

Forget the Brazil AirPass. For what you'd like to do, it's expensive. You can probably find flights in Brazil for much less, especially if you use the discount airlines, like GOL. The AirPass is only worthwhile if you're flying very long distances and/or in very roundabout routings. (Like if you're going to go to Porto Alegre and then Manaus all in the same trip.)

You can visit all the places you've mentioned, although it will be a little bit rushed. Buy a roundtrip flight from Rio to Salvador. Upon returning to Rio, go from the airport to the bus station and take the bus to Parati. From there catch the bus to SP or back to Rio (shorter ride). From either city go straight to the airport and catch a flight to Foz do Iguaçu, and from Foz fly back to São Paulo for your stay there and your flight back home.

Allow at least three days/two nights in Salvador and Parati. You can do Iguaçu in two days/one night, but if you can stay an extra day I'd recommend it. Three days/two nights is plenty for São Paulo. The rest of your time should be spent in Rio. Flights home from Brazil almost all leave late at night, so on your last day you can check out of your hotel, spend the afternoon at the baths, and go from there directly to the airport with a big smile on your lips! :9 If you stay downtown on r. Vieira de Carvalho, or at one of the bigger hotels around Av. Paulista, just check your bag with the doorman. Catch a cab from the baths back to your hotel, pick up your bag, and catch the Airport Service bus to the airport.

If you can manage Portuguese, you can purchase plane tickets at http://www.decolar.com. You pay with your credit card; they do e-tickets so you just pick them up at the airport when you show up for your flight. You can also buy internal tickets within Brazil on Travelocity, or on the Varig or TAM websites.

Bus tickets in Brazil are cheap; the buses are very comfortable and have reserved seats. Going to Parati from Rio be sure to get a window seat on the left. Returning, sit on the right for the best views. The buses have toilets, but also make a couple of rest stops along the way for refreshments, using the john and stretching your legs. Usually it's possible to buy bus tickets from travel agencies in Copacabana or Ipanema, but for some reason tickets to Parati are only sold at the bus station. It's best to go there while you're in Rio, well in advance if you'll be traveling on a weekend or during high season, to be sure you get a seat on the bus you want. You should be able to buy a round-trip (this wasn't possible until recently) but if you can't, buy your return ticket at the Parati bus station as soon as you arrive.

Have fun!

Archived