ATMs in Rio?

HardnThick
This topic is 8131 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My last trip was to Sau Paulo two weeks ago. Prior to that trip, I had no problem finding ATM's on Cirrus or Plus networks. This time around, it was a problem. There is at least one Citibank office in Rio with ATM's that should work for you. I had trouble getting in the security door but after about 10 swipes, it let me in. Most of the Brazilian banks are no longer on the network.

only ATM machines at Banco de Brasil will work with a foreign bank card, e.g. VISA or MASTERCHARGE. Apart from that, the Citibank ATM center at Avenida de Nossa Senhora Copacabana/ Figureideo Magalhaes will also accept. The latter is inside a video store.

On my visit over the last two weeks I was staying in Copacabana and had difficulty for several days because the immediate area ATMs were having transmission problems with Mastercard transactions which is the processor for my ATM card (in spite of the fact that it is on the Cirrus and Plus systems) and did not happen to accept Visa credit cards. This was compounded by the fact that I have not set up a cash link to my American Express. I solved this mini-emergency by going to the Amex office and buying travelers checks and cashing them on the spot. This is not meant to suggest that there's any real problem whatsoever in Rio - there are plenty of ATMs around - but simply that it doesn't hurt to be prepared for oddball situations by keeping a small stash of travelers checks. I will shortly be sharing, reviewing and exclaiming about a great trip in the appropriate forums.

When I was in Rio, I walked up Nossa Senhora to find an atm. The first 2 wouldn't accept my visa, but the third one did. I didn't try to figure out why or which banks were which. I think I got about 200 reais which lasted me for about 5 days with money left over. Also the few merchants to whom I gave my visa, used it without problems.

ATM's are everywhere, but not all seem to be connected to the international network. If you go into a bank branch or ATM center with multiple machines, it's possible only one is linked. It may be marked, or you may have to ask someone which is the right machine. (Citibank's in the Rio Blockbuster branch at Av. Copacabana/Figuereido Magalhaes all work fine, though.) There's a linked machine in the Banco do Brasil branch on Av. Copacabana behind the Copacabana Palace hotel. Also, I think there's one in the Banco Itau branch on Av. Atlantica next to the Copacabana Palace, just across the street heading in the Leme direction. If I recall correctly, it's the machine on the far left. In other cities, you'll have to ask. Or go to the Visa or Cirrus websites before traveling to get lists of locations.

If you need to ask for an int'l machine, ask for "caixa internacional?" Caixa is pronounced kay-shah, with the kay as in "kayak".

Alternatively, if nothing's working, if it's a bank that accepts your card (Visa or MasterCard) you can ask about getting a withdrawal or cash advance on it inside.

Guest miguelmiche1

the ubiquitous, "banco 24 horas" quiosques (red in color) are all on the cirrus network, and unlike citibank, are all over brazil when you need them. connections highly reliable. i used them in many cities and had problems only once, in salvador. at most local airports at well. this is yr best bet.

banco do brasil quiosques tended to be spotty at best - while theoretically linked with cirrus invariably with international connection problems.

miche

• 3 weeks later...

During my recent trip, I also used ATMs that were scattered all over the Shopping Cidade in downtown Belo Horizonte. Some worked, some didn't, but I just kept trying until one accepted the card! :-)

In downtown São Paulo my card worked at the HSBC branch on the "back" side of the Praça da República, near Av. Vieira de Carvalho.

Archived