Krakow/Auschwitz without overnighting in Krakow?

Rod Hagen
This topic is 5540 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's been a long time since I visited Krakow. This may be stupid question, but is it at all possible to do a day tour from Prague or Budapest to/through Krakow/Auschwitz without staying overnight in Krakow? If so, how?

Krakow is a gem of a city, and worth staying in, but it's a time situation. THANKS!

Visited Krakow six years ago in the summertime, so the weather was nice. I enjoyed so much sitting in different cafes on the main square in the center of the walled old town. I took a full day tour that included Auschwitz/Birkenau I and II, as well as the Salt Mines/Wieliczka. The original smaller camp that were originally Polish army barracks and the large camp which has been depicted in countless pictures. Auschwitz II really doesn't take too long to walk through and see the various parts of the camp, as so many of the original wooden buildings are gone. Seeing the original guardhouse and gate, the train platform, the mostly-destroyed crematoria and a couple of the barracks should not take more than an hour or so. Auschwitz-Birkenau I will really explain the extent of the Nazi's operations and this part of a visit can take much longer as so many of the barracks are devoted to the countries of the various peoples murdered here. Seeing the collections of eyeglass, shoes, etc as well as so many films of various aspects of the genocide. It really depends on how in-depth you want to make your visit. After that, it really depends on travel options from Prague or Budapest to Krakow.

I flew in and out via Vienna by the way. I stayed two nights and three days and Wawel Castle was really nice. The stores in the old town and outside of the old town had nothing too interesting to purchase. Just the same tourist stuff. Between the churches and sitting on the Grand Square at night, it was a pleasant visit.

To answer your question, a daytrip to Krakow from Prague or Budapest, by car, bus or train, is not really viable, given the state of the roads and railways in the area, unless you want to spend much more time traveling than seeing Krakow. And if you want to include Auschwitz as well, forget about the daytrip idea.

• 1 month later...
Guest Deweywop

From what I recall, Krakow was about 8 hours by train from either Prague or Budapest. I had similar crazy thoughts and also learned that it most assuredly cannot be done as a day trip, even if you had your own car.

Archived