What's your pet peeve?

Guest WetDream
This topic is 8311 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Joey Ciccone

I meant to reply to viewmaster with my post above, sorry Will and VM. But Will, after reading your list I definitely agree with your peeve about people shouting into their cellphones in public. Put a cellphone to someone's ear and suddenly they're Tom Hanks, talking as loud as they can (THERE"S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!) I was trying to get some reading done on a train yesterday, but instead I got the lowdown on the friends and associates of the woman sitting behind me (Brandon got a promotion, Trish and Tom had a baby girl, and Sarah, who's also up for promotion and is experiencing romantic difficulties with Bill in marketing, must have her report on her boss's desk by Friday morning. The gal behind me will be proofreading it.) From NY to DC this woman blathered so inanely, I almost threw her AND her cellphone off the damn train somewhere around Delaware.

Regarding smokers, I hope that you're only peeved at smokers WHILE they're smoking. I say that as a somewhat nervous type who lights up on occassion, but would never smoke around non-smokers.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since retiring, I’ve gotten seriously interested in cooking and now make almost daily trips our best local supermarket. It’s a relatively small store with narrow aisles – but it does have the better meat and produce than the big chains.

My pet peeves are:

(1) Women who abandon their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle while searching for an item.

(2) Women who think that the supermarket is a social club and totally stop traffic down an aisle while engaging in a prolonged conversation -- either in person or on their cell phones

(3) Women who let their kids run loose through the store and have to reprimand them when they grab a soda or candy bar.

(4) Men who don’t know the store and wander around aimlessly, slowly scanning every shelf.

Since retiring, I’ve gotten seriously interested in cooking and now make almost daily trips our best local supermarket. It’s a relatively small store with narrow aisles – but it does have the better meat and produce than the big chains.

My pet peeves are:

(1) Women who abandon their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle while searching for an item.

(2) Women who think that the supermarket is a social club and totally stop traffic down an aisle while engaging in a prolonged conversation -- either in person or on their cell phones

(3) Women who let their kids run loose through the store and have to reprimand them when they grab a soda or candy bar.

(4) Men who don’t know the store and wander around aimlessly, slowly scanning every shelf.

Guest jsekamore

People who are constantly late, friends or business associates. There's no excuse for this. I am not the most organized person in the world, but I am always on time. I can't see how anyone would be anyone else waiting. It is rude.

Guest jsekamore

People who are constantly late, friends or business associates. There's no excuse for this. I am not the most organized person in the world, but I am always on time. I can't see how anyone would be anyone else waiting. It is rude.

People who don't change the Subject line ...

... when responding to long threads.

If you are gonna take the time to write a response, take an extra few seconds to change the subject -- if you do so, more people will read what you wrote.

May I suggest that you will do well to take this advice not only on this board, but back to your professional life as well.

Your friend Ready

People who don't change the Subject line ...

... when responding to long threads.

If you are gonna take the time to write a response, take an extra few seconds to change the subject -- if you do so, more people will read what you wrote.

May I suggest that you will do well to take this advice not only on this board, but back to your professional life as well.

Your friend Ready

RE: the ol' peeve ho

>Hey, I was only kidding. My

>peeve is alive and kicking.

>(I only hope no one

>finds the pet skeleton in

>my closet)

Hey Konga, did I see you the other night standing in front of the stove while eating a bowl of soup? I saw some big bones sticking out of the pot too, OMG, could those be...:o

JT

RE: the ol' peeve ho

>Hey, I was only kidding. My

>peeve is alive and kicking.

>(I only hope no one

>finds the pet skeleton in

>my closet)

Hey Konga, did I see you the other night standing in front of the stove while eating a bowl of soup? I saw some big bones sticking out of the pot too, OMG, could those be...:o

JT

RE: People who don't change the Subject line ...

>... when responding to long threads.

>

>If you are gonna take the

>time to write a response,

>take an extra few seconds

>to change the subject --

>if you do so, more

>people will read what you

>wrote.

I agree with the other responses. If the subject of your post is sufficiently different from the original topic to warrant a different subject, it deserves (?) a new thread.

A new subject means nothing to me in a long thread and CERTAINLY won't increase the likelihood that I'll read the message.

This is, after all, the *purpose* of threaded messages. Messages on the thread should relate to the original subject. If they don't, start a new thread.

RE: People who don't change the Subject line ...

>... when responding to long threads.

>

>If you are gonna take the

>time to write a response,

>take an extra few seconds

>to change the subject --

>if you do so, more

>people will read what you

>wrote.

I agree with the other responses. If the subject of your post is sufficiently different from the original topic to warrant a different subject, it deserves (?) a new thread.

A new subject means nothing to me in a long thread and CERTAINLY won't increase the likelihood that I'll read the message.

This is, after all, the *purpose* of threaded messages. Messages on the thread should relate to the original subject. If they don't, start a new thread.

Guest Tampa Yankee

Yes, you do light up on occasion... I've noticed that you smoke occasionally too. :-)

And Tom Hanks had it right too...

As for cell phone usage... on planes and in autos, it pisses me off too when it is not discrete. Loud talking, never ending conversations seem a way for some to demonstrate their (self-)importance to the world... as if everytihg would stop if they were out of contact for twenty minutes. I keep my cell phone with me, turned on, almost all the time but I use it seldom, only when needed, not as a pacifier as many do it seems.

Guest Tampa Yankee

Yes, you do light up on occasion... I've noticed that you smoke occasionally too. :-)

And Tom Hanks had it right too...

As for cell phone usage... on planes and in autos, it pisses me off too when it is not discrete. Loud talking, never ending conversations seem a way for some to demonstrate their (self-)importance to the world... as if everytihg would stop if they were out of contact for twenty minutes. I keep my cell phone with me, turned on, almost all the time but I use it seldom, only when needed, not as a pacifier as many do it seems.

Guest Joey Ciccone

>Yes, you do light up on occasion... I've noticed that you smoke occasionally too.<

That's very good. Thanks Yank.

>I keep my cell phone with me...but I use it seldom, only when needed, not as a pacifier as many do<

That's also very good. Cellphone as pacifier. I guess cigarettes and cocks could also be seen as pacifiers, eh? A shame it's so easy to get hooked on either.

Guest Joey Ciccone

>Yes, you do light up on occasion... I've noticed that you smoke occasionally too.<

That's very good. Thanks Yank.

>I keep my cell phone with me...but I use it seldom, only when needed, not as a pacifier as many do<

That's also very good. Cellphone as pacifier. I guess cigarettes and cocks could also be seen as pacifiers, eh? A shame it's so easy to get hooked on either.

Archived