What's your pet peeve?

Guest WetDream
This topic is 8299 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some random thoughts:

1. Supermarket cashiers who hand me my change - bills, coins, and receipt - all at once. Don't most men put bills in their wallet, coins in their pocket, and shove the receipt either into the bag or a different pocket?

2. Retail clerks who chew gum while serving me. Drives me nuts.

3. Drivers you allow into the lane in front of you who don't raise their hand in a "thank you" gesture.

4. Any company whose phone staff must say "Thank you for choosing [insert name of business] today" when you have just said goodbye. I feel rude if I hang up before they finish. Besides, I *know* the company I called!

5. Voicemail systems that, before you can leave a message, say, "When you are finished speaking, you can hang up." Duh!

6. Drivers not using turn signals.

7. "Better" hotels with those pulsating showerheads that turn already-low water pressure into a dull trickle.

8. TV networks/stations that start their shows a minute or so before the start of the hour, guaranteeing you will miss something when using TiVo. (In all the time I've been watching "The West Wing," NBC has started it within one second of the proper time. FOX is still a crapshoot though.)

9. Pet peeve lists that end on an uninspired note.

-- Ron

Some random thoughts:

1. Supermarket cashiers who hand me my change - bills, coins, and receipt - all at once. Don't most men put bills in their wallet, coins in their pocket, and shove the receipt either into the bag or a different pocket?

2. Retail clerks who chew gum while serving me. Drives me nuts.

3. Drivers you allow into the lane in front of you who don't raise their hand in a "thank you" gesture.

4. Any company whose phone staff must say "Thank you for choosing [insert name of business] today" when you have just said goodbye. I feel rude if I hang up before they finish. Besides, I *know* the company I called!

5. Voicemail systems that, before you can leave a message, say, "When you are finished speaking, you can hang up." Duh!

6. Drivers not using turn signals.

7. "Better" hotels with those pulsating showerheads that turn already-low water pressure into a dull trickle.

8. TV networks/stations that start their shows a minute or so before the start of the hour, guaranteeing you will miss something when using TiVo. (In all the time I've been watching "The West Wing," NBC has started it within one second of the proper time. FOX is still a crapshoot though.)

9. Pet peeve lists that end on an uninspired note.

-- Ron

Guest cp8036

Deej,

Perhaps we crossed paths. I worked for Dominick's (in the fruit department) during high school and college. Not sure what time frame, or how old you are, but in late 70's when I started bag boys made $3.85/hour and time and a half on Sunday. Most teens in other part-time jobs made minimum wage, $2.20/hr. For teen it was a coveted job -- good pay but hard work. I think baggers now are paid minimum wage. The kids now aren't inclined to work hard, or care about customer service. Turnover is high since they can work anywhere for the same money.

But, whatever the reason, people that work in grocery stores now could care a less about customer service. Seems most checkers don't even say "hello" or "thank you".

Guest cp8036

Deej,

Perhaps we crossed paths. I worked for Dominick's (in the fruit department) during high school and college. Not sure what time frame, or how old you are, but in late 70's when I started bag boys made $3.85/hour and time and a half on Sunday. Most teens in other part-time jobs made minimum wage, $2.20/hr. For teen it was a coveted job -- good pay but hard work. I think baggers now are paid minimum wage. The kids now aren't inclined to work hard, or care about customer service. Turnover is high since they can work anywhere for the same money.

But, whatever the reason, people that work in grocery stores now could care a less about customer service. Seems most checkers don't even say "hello" or "thank you".

Guest Tampa Yankee

FFF,

You know, grace is one of the easiest virtues to come by... often achieved by doing nothing or, at most, very little.

Guest Tampa Yankee

FFF,

You know, grace is one of the easiest virtues to come by... often achieved by doing nothing or, at most, very little.

"I'll have the chicken ..."

In Restaurants; bars; whatever. Do people think they're freekin' King or Queen of England? What's up with "I'll have <this>" and "I'll have <that>"???

As for me, I always say "May I have <this> or Would you bring me <that>?

I don't think that the fact that I am paying for the drink/dinner gives me the right to be a pompous a-hole! Let's show a little respect for others.

(sorry for venting -- you did say pet peeves, didn't you :)

"I'll have the chicken ..."

In Restaurants; bars; whatever. Do people think they're freekin' King or Queen of England? What's up with "I'll have <this>" and "I'll have <that>"???

As for me, I always say "May I have <this> or Would you bring me <that>?

I don't think that the fact that I am paying for the drink/dinner gives me the right to be a pompous a-hole! Let's show a little respect for others.

(sorry for venting -- you did say pet peeves, didn't you :)

Guest cp8036

My real pet peeve is people who make unnecessary noise when they eat. Such as chewing with their mouth open, sucking their teeth, slurping soup, belching, and so on. It makes me cringe. Eating, dinner at least, should be a special moment in the day to share time, talk, and nourish ourselves.

Eating ribs or corn on the cob may be reason to make some noise, but typical dinners should be consumed with some civility.

As children we would get a smack in the head if we dared to slurp noodles, pick a bowl of soup and drink it, or not switch the fork back after cutting meat.

Guess polite table manners are on the way out along with courtesy and customer service.

Guest cp8036

My real pet peeve is people who make unnecessary noise when they eat. Such as chewing with their mouth open, sucking their teeth, slurping soup, belching, and so on. It makes me cringe. Eating, dinner at least, should be a special moment in the day to share time, talk, and nourish ourselves.

Eating ribs or corn on the cob may be reason to make some noise, but typical dinners should be consumed with some civility.

As children we would get a smack in the head if we dared to slurp noodles, pick a bowl of soup and drink it, or not switch the fork back after cutting meat.

Guess polite table manners are on the way out along with courtesy and customer service.

Guest Kevin 2

<1. Supermarket cashiers who hand me my change - bills, coins, and receipt - all at once. Don't most men put bills in their wallet, coins in their pocket, and shove the receipt either into the bag or a different pocket?"

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! I HATE THAT..AND EVERY BILL IS TURNED A DIFFERENT WAY :-(

2) Voice mail period! I know in todays world its the norm but I still hate it!

3) People that drive 55 on a 70 mph highway and don't get out of my way!

4) People that post messages on this and other boards that make no sense at all, despite the fact it is written English.

5) People that stare at any fast food menu in a daze..the damn thing rarely changes and besides if you have no idea what you want to eat at Mc Donald's then how in the hell did you end up there to start with??

6) People that IM you with an opening line wanta fuck? Maybe I should start answering this one are you reviewed on Hooboy's site? ;-)

These are just a few give me time I'm sure I have more...;-)

Guest Kevin 2

<1. Supermarket cashiers who hand me my change - bills, coins, and receipt - all at once. Don't most men put bills in their wallet, coins in their pocket, and shove the receipt either into the bag or a different pocket?"

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! I HATE THAT..AND EVERY BILL IS TURNED A DIFFERENT WAY :-(

2) Voice mail period! I know in todays world its the norm but I still hate it!

3) People that drive 55 on a 70 mph highway and don't get out of my way!

4) People that post messages on this and other boards that make no sense at all, despite the fact it is written English.

5) People that stare at any fast food menu in a daze..the damn thing rarely changes and besides if you have no idea what you want to eat at Mc Donald's then how in the hell did you end up there to start with??

6) People that IM you with an opening line wanta fuck? Maybe I should start answering this one are you reviewed on Hooboy's site? ;-)

These are just a few give me time I'm sure I have more...;-)

Guest cp8036

You are on the wrong continent, dear :).

My starchy English grandfather would not switch hands after using a knife to cut. (though not of the continent, he employed table manners akin to those across the channel)

As young kids we waited for my mother to correct his poor habits. Life seemed full of double standards back then.

Luckily, we didn't have to worry about proper knife usage. In our trailer park we usually dined on tuna helper and pop-tarts.

Guest cp8036

You are on the wrong continent, dear :).

My starchy English grandfather would not switch hands after using a knife to cut. (though not of the continent, he employed table manners akin to those across the channel)

As young kids we waited for my mother to correct his poor habits. Life seemed full of double standards back then.

Luckily, we didn't have to worry about proper knife usage. In our trailer park we usually dined on tuna helper and pop-tarts.

RE: Pet Peeves (the original subject)

Ready,

One of my pet peeves is people who DO change the subject line in a thread. My belief is that if you have to change the subject line, then you should be posting a new thread because you're off the main subject.

Can we agree to disagree on this one and remain friends? :-)

Guest cp8036

RE: People who don't change the Subject line ...

<If you are gonna take the time to write a response, take an extra few seconds to change the subject -- if you do so, more people will read what you wrote.>

Isn't a response usually related to the subject somehow?

If you change the subject, wouldn't it be better to start a new thread?

Archived