iPhone Hacked

Posted (edited)

so, it looks like my IPhone was hacked in an airport.  Seems like they only got into one app & the credentials on that app have been changed.  Also changed Apple ID password as a precaution and I have 2-factor authorization on all devices.  Also added VPN to all devices and deleted all old apps & limited tracking functions. 

I’m interested in thoughts from the tech-savvy in the forum - I’d like more suggestions how to enhance mobile and at-home digital security.

the hacked phone was an older IPhone (about 5 years old) and I only use it when traveling.  I always do the updates when offered.  Does the age or model of the phone affect the security ?

Seems like hacking is happening more & more.  First time for me 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

They got into one app?  Could you describe what occurred?  

Did you connect to the “airport” wifi?  If yes, if the app used basic authentication it could have passed the user name and password in the clear.  Hence VPN or just sticking with cellular is your best bet.  

Were you also on the latest IOS for the phone?  

MFA, VPN are good.  Are you also using a password manager to make sure all your passwords are unique for each app/service? 

was alerted by an app that were multiple attempts to change the password from the app.  it couldn’t be completed as they require a code to verify that they send by text.  so, they had access to the app, but couldn’t get control of it.  I went through an airport early morning & it started to happen later that day.  

did not connect to airport wifi - but my wifi and Bluetooth were probably open as I connected w inflight wifi and used Bluetooth for headset connection.  forgot to turn both off when the plane landed.  my assumption is it happened at airport, but could it have been inflight ?

phone has latest IOS update

i don’t use password manager for all apps, but do use difficult passwords & update frequently.  that phone did not have VPN, but now it does.

ive read open Bluetooth can be a problem too ?  Is it worthwhile to run a virus checker ?  or install additional anti-hacker security apps ?

I wouldn’t be as concerned with Bluetooth as much as making sure the wifi setting's are tighter.   Bluetooth has gotten better to insure that you are joining known pairs.  

Under WiFi section of settings, make sure “Ask to join other networks”  is set to Ask.  Otherwise, there could be a chance you’d join an open network without any security.  

I wouldn’t put too much faith in any additional anti-hacking apps for the mobile device.  You’d have to give them wide access to your phone for it to do any good.  That in it of itself is a problem.  

I recommend the password manager route just because it enables you to set and remember unique passwords per app.  It’s more to limit any damage if a single service gets compromised on their end.  Plus it’s common now for criminals to use your username and previously breached passwords as an attempt to get lucky into other apps.  Often people use the same password for everything or most things.  

On 7/4/2024 at 3:10 PM, SouthOfTheBorder said:

so, it looks like my IPhone was hacked in an airport.  Seems like they only got into one app & the credentials on that app have been changed.  Also changed Apple ID password as a precaution and I have 2-factor authorization on all devices.  Also added VPN to all devices and deleted all old apps & limited tracking functions. 

I’m interested in thoughts from the tech-savvy in the forum - I’d like more suggestions how to enhance mobile and at-home digital security.

the hacked phone was an older IPhone (about 5 years old) and I only use it when traveling.  I always do the updates when offered.  Does the age or model of the phone affect the security ?

Seems like hacking is happening more & more.  First time for me 

I think you have almost everything covered. Here are my recommendations for mobile device security:

- Regularly update your operating system and apps to protect against vulnerabilities. Only download Apps from a reputable source. 

- Store and generate strong, unique passwords using a password manager.

- Always enable 2FA for an added layer of security on your accounts.

- Regularly review and limit the permissions granted to apps, ensuring they only have access to what they truly need.

- Avoid using public Wi-Fi at airports, hotels, restaurants, etc. If you must connect to public Wi-Fi, be sure to use a VPN to encrypt your internet traffic. Double-check that the VPN you choose encrypts traffic both ways and does not keep logs.

- Set up features like "Find My iPhone" or "Find My Device" to remotely locate and erase your device if it’s lost or stolen.

On 7/5/2024 at 3:14 PM, SouthOfTheBorder said:

... I will start using Apple password manager asap. 

Is your computer an Apple or Windows device? If Windows, you might want to consider using a 3rd-party password manager that works on all of your devices. (i use LastPass) If Apple, then the Apple password manager is fine.

On 7/7/2024 at 9:45 AM, rvwnsd said:

Is your computer an Apple or Windows device? If Windows, you might want to consider using a 3rd-party password manager that works on all of your devices. (i use LastPass) If Apple, then the Apple password manager is fine.

I’d generally avoid the built-in chrome or Firefox browser password managers.  They have been easy to compromise in the past.  I don’t think much has changed.  LastPass has a bit of an image problem as of late.  I use Keeper, but other colleagues use BitWarden too.  

Apples password manager has been well reviewed as well.