Good NYC bar to meet 50+ people for intelligent conversation?

I’m not talking about for hire, though I will be perusing this forum for options on that count.

Just connecting as friends, and if I found connection maybe more.

I don’t do well in loud clubs. I feel awkward and so much is based on surface appearance.

I’d enjoy a quieter place where it’s actually possible to talk to people. I’m don’t wear bear garb and am not super into the club scene, though I appreciate that some people are.

is The Townhouse for me? Where else?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Writer415 said:

I’m not talking about for hire, though I will be perusing this forum for options on that count.

Just connecting as friends, and if I found connection maybe more.

I don’t do well in loud clubs. I feel awkward and so much is based on surface appearance.

I’d enjoy a quieter place where it’s actually possible to talk to people. I’m don’t wear bear garb and am not super into the club scene, though I appreciate that some people are.

is The Townhouse for me? Where else?

I like Ty's on Christopher Street.  I have not been to the Townhouse yet, but it's on my to-do list for my next NYC trip.

While I'm not yet 50, I tend to be among the youngest patrons whenever I go to Ty's.  I would guess the median age there is in the mid 40s.  I always have a good time there for intelligent conversation and sexy flirtations.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

3 hours ago, Writer415 said:

is The Townhouse for me?

It’s certainly the bar that popped into my mind. Although I haven’t had any real  experience there since I was on the other side of the coin. Older distinguished gentlemen who enjoyed talking about their private clubs and the latest broadway musical. Didn’t hate it. Didn’t love it. I will say that it was one of the more friendly bars in NYC. But again, I was on the other side of the coin then, so you need to factor that in.