Longtime Companion

Pensant

19 hours ago, Bokomaru said:

Critics loved that movie but disparaged the final scene. I say, that scene was the catharsis that we survivors needed, and I don’t give a fk if it was manipulative. I found it profound and heart breaking. 

Longtime Companion is one of my favorite movies, in part due to the phenomenal ending. It was heartbreaking at the time considering there was very little hope back then but I remember watching it with tears streaming down my face imagining such a day. 

One scene before the ending involves David telling his lover Sean to "let go." I've always thought that to be a hard thing to do while being very loving. You've been with this guy for years, and now the only right thing to is let him go. Hard for both parties. A very moving scene.

The sad scenario today is that the generations after the AIDS epidemic have shunted it into the deep recesses of gay history.

Edited by Lucky

On 3/26/2024 at 11:28 AM, Lucky said:

The sad scenario today is that the generations after the AIDS epidemic have shunted it into the deep recesses of gay history.

It is sad, and feels so odd.  It consumed so many of us for so long, and now it's portrayed as historic.