2024 Baseball Season

Lucky

What in the world has happened to the Nolans?

Nolan Jones of the Rockies slashed .297/.389/.542 last year with 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases over 424 plate appearances. It was clear he had the ability to potentially join the 25/25 Club this year, or even put up better numbers. However, he’s started this season hitting a dismal .148 with only one home run. And, he’s not the only Nolan who is scuffling! Nolan Gorman of the Cardinals has four homers, but he’s struck out 34 times in 86 at-bats and is hitting .198. His teammate, Nolan Arenado, is also off to a slow start, slugging just one home run in his first 95 at-bats. Then there’s Angels first baseman Nolan Schanuel, who is batting .203 with one homer and a 60 OPS+. It’s just not the month to be named Nolan.

22 hours ago, samhexum said:

What in the world has happened to the Nolans?

Nolan Jones of the Rockies slashed .297/.389/.542 last year with 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases over 424 plate appearances. It was clear he had the ability to potentially join the 25/25 Club this year, or even put up better numbers. However, he’s started this season hitting a dismal .148 with only one home run. And, he’s not the only Nolan who is scuffling! Nolan Gorman of the Cardinals has four homers, but he’s struck out 34 times in 86 at-bats and is hitting .198. His teammate, Nolan Arenado, is also off to a slow start, slugging just one home run in his first 95 at-bats. Then there’s Angels first baseman Nolan Schanuel, who is batting .203 with one homer and a 60 OPS+. It’s just not the month to be named Nolan.

Gorman will be a major star at bat for the Cardinals 

Not sure about his teammate.  A bit sad

13 hours ago, samhexum said:

Dude, everyone says how horrible these new uniforms are, butt (sic) have you seen how good my ass looks?

WWW.ESPN.COM

Major League Baseball plans to address its uniform fiasco after changes this spring to the standard jerseys and pants led to widespread complaints from players...

Major League Baseball plans to address its uniform fiasco after changes this spring to the standard jerseys and pants led to widespread complaints from players and fans, according to a memo obtained Sunday night by ESPN.

The most prominent modifications include a return to larger lettering on the back of jerseys, remedying mismatched gray tops and bottoms and addressing the new Nike jerseys' propensity to collect sweat, according to the memo distributed to players by the MLB Players Association on Sunday.

Edited by BuffaloKyle

22 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Nolen Arenado has belted one home run this season while battling 271

And he is still usually in the St Louis line up

Horrible 

Nolan Arenado’s record-tying streak of 10 consecutive Gold Gloves ended last season, when he was not even one of three finalists for the National League award at third base. This season, though, Arenado is deriving new motivation from a surprising source — the player next to him in the St. Louis Cardinals’ infield, rookie shortstop Masyn Winn.

“To be honest, playing with him makes me want to step up my fielding,” Arenado told me on Friday. “He goes hard for everything. Not that I don’t, but after last year the way I fielded, I see him getting after it. And I’m like, yeah, man, I need to get back to that.

“He brings energy. Watch him. He’s constantly talking to the pitcher: ‘Let’s go. You got this guy. Nasty pitch!’ I’m like, man, I used to do that when I was a young player with the Rockies. I kind of slowly got away from it. Now I’m like super quiet.

“He’s constant energy. You feed off it. Some teams might think he’s talking trash. But he’s really just talking to the pitcher all the time. It’s pretty cool.”

42 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Nolan Arenado’s record-tying streak of 10 consecutive Gold Gloves ended last season, when he was not even one of three finalists for the National League award at third base. This season, though, Arenado is deriving new motivation from a surprising source — the player next to him in the St. Louis Cardinals’ infield, rookie shortstop Masyn Winn.

“To be honest, playing with him makes me want to step up my fielding,” Arenado told me on Friday. “He goes hard for everything. Not that I don’t, but after last year the way I fielded, I see him getting after it. And I’m like, yeah, man, I need to get back to that.

“He brings energy. Watch him. He’s constantly talking to the pitcher: ‘Let’s go. You got this guy. Nasty pitch!’ I’m like, man, I used to do that when I was a young player with the Rockies. I kind of slowly got away from it. Now I’m like super quiet.

“He’s constant energy. You feed off it. Some teams might think he’s talking trash. But he’s really just talking to the pitcher all the time. It’s pretty cool.”

Ha ha

How is his RBI and runs scored total?

On 4/28/2024 at 5:05 PM, WilliamM said:

Nolen Arenado has belted one home run this season while battling 271

And he is still usually in the St Louis line up

Horrible 

pretty good outing today for Mr. Flaherty, though it was against a team that can't hit.

IP H R ER BB K HR PC-ST ERA
6.2 2 0 0 1 14 0 93-66 4.00

5 hours ago, samhexum said:

pretty good outing today for Mr. Flaherty, though it was against a team that can't hit.

IP H R ER BB K HR PC-ST ERA
6.2 2 0 0 1 14 0 93-66 4.00

tied the AL record by striking out the first 7 batters of the game.

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

So you doubt his injury 

Not at all, but I fully expected him to break Cal Ripken's record, given what an ironman he's been the last 5 years.

Edited by samhexum
to ensure maximum delight for the reader!

9 hours ago, samhexum said:

tied the AL record by striking out the first 7 batters of the game.

Not at all, but I fully expected him to break Cal Ripken's record, given what an ironman he's been the last 5 years.

More bullshit,  as usual 

Edited by WilliamM