Xabier Anduaga MET debut

TruHart1

From a locked thread submitted by @kingsley88, dated May 7, 2021:

“I just learned about Xabier Anduaga, a young Spanish tenor who seems to be up and coming. He's only 25 years old and is easy on the eyes with a beautiful voice. I hope he comes here to the USA at some point to perform at the Met or other opera houses here.”

IMG_5948.jpeg.44f1eec480e129d41e40ab1811515142.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lp5oYRcdLc:167

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Xavier Anduaga made his Metropolitan Opera debut April 13, 2023, and sang the role of Nemorino in L’Elisir d’Amore. He sang four more performances of L’Elisir culminating in the live Saturday afternoon broadcast of April 29, 2023.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The 27-year-old Xabier Anduaga debuted in the role of Nemorino in a revival of Donizetti’s romantic comedy.

TruHart1 😎

16 hours ago, sutherland said:

I just watched some of his videos on youtube. Yes, he has a major talent.  Let's hope he's not just a flash in the pan

With a young tenor such as Mr. Anduaga, in his late twenties, he may indeed have a long, successful career, and not be a “flash in the pan,” but any singer that young must always be careful to never push their voice beyond its natural capabilities. Right now he is singing roles in the bel canto repertoire, such as Arturo in Bellini’s Puritani, Nemorino in Donizetti’s L’Elisir and the Duke in Verdi’s Rigoletto.

Most singers with the longest-lasting operatic careers also usually have a regular voice coach who acts as a technical adviser, telling the singer if there are any vocal weaknesses which might become problematic or bad vocal habits which require correction before they hurt the singer’s technique. If he’s careful, he may even become the next Placido Domingo, still singing well into his early 80’s (he turns 83 on January 21!!!)

TruHart1 😎

1 hour ago, TruHart1 said:

With a young tenor such as Mr. Anduaga, in his late twenties, he may indeed have a long, successful career, and not be a “flash in the pan,” but any singer that young must always be careful to never push their voice beyond its natural capabilities. Right now he is singing roles in the bel canto repertoire, such as Arturo in Bellini’s Puritani, Nemorino in Donizetti’s L’Elisir and the Duke in Verdi’s Rigoletto.

Most singers with the longest-lasting operatic careers also usually have a regular voice coach who acts as a technical adviser, telling the singer if there are any vocal weaknesses which might become problematic or bad vocal habits which require correction before they hurt the singer’s technique. If he’s careful, he may even become the next Placido Domingo, still singing well into his early 80’s (he turns 83 on January 21!!!)

TruHart1 😎

He should take Alfredo Kraus as his role model.

1 hour ago, sydneyboy said:

He should take Alfredo Kraus as his role model.

Krause was impeccable at keeping his voice in shape and was very selective about which roles he kept in his repertoire, so he was able to sustain a very long career. I can hear the possibility of a more spinto, fuller sound in Anduaga’s future if he cultivates his instrument as it matures - more like a Pavarotti, or Domingo in his tenor prime.

TruHart1 😎

10 minutes ago, TruHart1 said:

Krause was impeccable at keeping his voice in shape and was very selective about which roles he kept in his repertoire, so he was able to sustain a very long career. I can hear the possibility of a more spinto, fuller sound in Anduaga’s future if he cultivates his instrument as it matures - more like a Pavarotti, or Domingo in his tenor prime.

TruHart1 😎

Krause was singing his signature roles like Werther at 70 with the freshness of a 40 year old from reviews I’ve read. He was a tall slim handsome man and at 70  still dramatically plausible. Rumour has it he was La Stupenda’s favourite tenor partner.

Edited by sydneyboy

19 minutes ago, sydneyboy said:

Krause was singing his signature roles like Werther at 70 with the freshness of a 40 year old from reviews I’ve read. He was a tall slim handsome man and at 70  still dramatically plausible. Rumour has it he was La Stupenda’s favourite tenor partner.

I remember a televised performance on TV (available on DVD unless it’s out of print!) of Lucia di Lammermoor with Kraus and Sutherland, when they were both in their mid-fifties. The Met Archives show Kraus’ last performance at the MetOpera was in 1993, also in Lucia, at about age 66!

TruHart1 😎

This is slightly off topic but Jose Carreras and Placido Domingo are doing a national tour of Australia as a duo in the next few months. I will not be honouring them with my presence. I sincerely hope Mr Anduaga doesn’t follow in the footsteps of Carreras in embarking on a totally inappropriate repertoire.

52 minutes ago, sydneyboy said:

This is slightly off topic but Jose Carreras and Placido Domingo are doing a national tour of Australia as a duo in the next few months. I will not be honouring them with my presence. I sincerely hope Mr Anduaga doesn’t follow in the footsteps of Carreras in embarking on a totally inappropriate repertoire.

Ah, let’s not criticize Mr. Carreras too much. He survived a life-threatening bout with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and never really recovered vocally, though he still sings. He may have pushed his voice too hard, hurting a gorgeous instrument by venturing too far into the spinto repertoire, and after leukemia, his voice is not in good shape at age 77.

Although he’s about 6 years younger than Mr. Domingo, unfortunately he’s sounding 10 years older! Other tenors have definitely done worse, though. Just compare the young Di Stefano to the mature Di Stefano, singing roles he never should have attempted!

TruHart1 😎

2 hours ago, sutherland said:

I heard Kraus sing in "The Daughter of the Regiment" with Miss Sutherland.  He was amazing - nailing all 9 high-C in the first act aria.  His voice also projected well up to the top balconies.

Kraus definitely had what I call a “rock solid” technique. As I recall, he was a singer who nearly never canceled, and retiring a few years before his final bout with pancreatic cancer at age 71, his obituary in the New York Times stated that he still had a high D above high C until “well into his 60’s!”

TruHart1 😎

7 hours ago, TruHart1 said:

Kraus definitely had what I call a “rock solid” technique. As I recall, he was a singer who nearly never canceled, and retiring a few years before his final bout with pancreatic cancer at age 71, his obituary in the New York Times stated that he still had a high D above high C until “well into his 60’s!”

TruHart1 😎

I would only add never deviated from the repertoire that he knew what right for his voice. He knocked back all the offers to sing “glamorous “ roles like Calaf, Otello etc.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:21 AM, TruHart1 said:

From a locked thread submitted by @kingsley88, dated May 7, 2021:

“I just learned about Xabier Anduaga, a young Spanish tenor who seems to be up and coming. He's only 25 years old and is easy on the eyes with a beautiful voice. I hope he comes here to the USA at some point to perform at the Met or other opera houses here.”

IMG_5948.jpeg.44f1eec480e129d41e40ab1811515142.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lp5oYRcdLc:167

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Xavier Anduaga made his Metropolitan Opera debut April 13, 2023, and sang the role of Nemorino in L’Elisir d’Amore. He sang four more performances of L’Elisir culminating in the live Saturday afternoon broadcast of April 29, 2023.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The 27-year-old Xabier Anduaga debuted in the role of Nemorino in a revival of Donizetti’s romantic comedy.

TruHart1 😎

Yup I bought a parterre ticket just to see/listen/watch his debut this past spring! It was amazing! So glad I was there!

• 2 weeks later...