Fondation Louis Vuitton, Paris

foxy

I do love the building. The restaurant Le Frank is also very, very good. It doesn’t hurt that the restaurant sits under a school of Gehry "Fish Lamp (2014)" light fixtures. His fish lamps have always been a favorite of mine. 

However, as a museum (which after all is what it is), I don’t think it’s that great. The exhibition rooms  are little more than enormous boxes. It works ok for supersized art, but I can’t imagine seeing art there that’s less than gigantic murals. Anything smaller would look ridiculous. It suffers from the same problem the large cube room at MOMA does. You know, that horrible box of a room that swallowed Monet’s Water Lillies whole on opening day. It’s not as bad as the shit show at MOMA, but it’s close. Then again, I guess there are plenty of museums for smaller art and not every museum has to be everything. Unfortunately, to me the rooms also don’t flow well. I’ve been lucky enough to seen several shows there, and I feel like I already know the predetermined "path" I’m supposed to follow. 

Despite all that, I can’t fucking wait to see the Rothko show. It should be amazing!