Streisand to release 2 albums, to coincide with her memoir's release

Ali Gator

Barbra Streisand will be releasing two CDs on October 27, about a week before her long-awaited memoir "My Name Is Barbra" is released on November 7, 2023.

The first album is titled "Evergreens : Celebrating Six Decades on Columbia Records".  This is a compilation of previously released tracks, but this is not a 'Greatest Hits' package or 'Singles' package. These are 'deep cuts' from various albums which have been selected by Barbra personally. One can not help notice that many of the songs she personally chose are co-written by her, which means she gets more royalties from each album sold (very clever, Barbra). The last track is a 2023 'remix' of her 1976 recording of 'Evergreen (Love theme from A Star Is Born)' .  There is one track which says it's unreleased - an edited version of "I Believe", from 'Higher Ground' in 1997.  On the album, it's mixed with 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. Apparently, outside the USA, "I Believe" was released in its edited form as a single, though never appeared on an album. The compilation will be released on one single disc, or two vinyl records. Target Stores has an exclusive on releasing a 'pink vinyl set to their customers. 

There's been a lot of 'blowback' on the recording - who is Barbra and Columbia trying to market this to ?

Her diehard fans (such as myself) have all the original LPs, cassettes and CDs over the past 60 years. Younger fans who never bought physical copies have it on their playlists. Except for "completionists", no die-hard fan seems to be interested in this. According to message boards and fan sites, the majority of those commenting are 'underwhelmed' and 'disappointed'. 

As for the 'casual fan' - they will stick to her Greatest Hits collection (there have been enough of them released in the past 25 years, plus the original 'Greatest Hits' from 1970, 'Greatest Hits Volume 2' from 1978, 'Memories' from 1981, and Greatest Hits...A Collection' from 1989. Those would be a better companion piece to the memoir, at least for the casual fan. 

The album / CD is available now for pre-order on many retail sites (remember, only TARGET has the 'baby pink' limited edition vinyl). Here's the track listing: 

1. I’ll Tell The Man In The Street
2. Bewitched (Bothered And Bewildered)
3. Absent Minded Me
4. The Shadow Of Your Smile 
5. Where Or When
6. Ma Première Chanson
7. I Don’t Know Where I Stand
8. I Never Meant To Hurt You
9. Letters That Cross In The Mail
10. Answer Me
11. Tomorrow
12. Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man
13. Two People
14. Some Enchanted Evening
15. I Believe (previously unreleased)
16. Isn’t It A Pity?
17. Moon River
18. Here’s To Life (Orchestra version)
19. The Windmills Of Your Mind 
20. Who Can I Turn To (When Nobody Needs Me) w/Anthony Newley
21. Lady Liberty
22. Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star Is Born) (2023) 

The second album to be released on October 27 is YENTL 40TH—DISC TWO: THE AUDITION TAPES & MORE. This is to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the release of the movie 'Yentl', along with the movie soundtrack. This has gotten more positive attention from die-hard fans (including me). 

Disc One is the original motion picture soundtrack to the movie, which was released 40 years ago. The nine tracks are believed to be remastered, though no official word has been said on that (but why wouldn't she have remastered with today's technology, compared to that from 40 years ago ?).  Disc Two features 15 additional song tracks - including Barbra's demos of the songs, as well as two tracks which never made it to the movie or the soundtrack ('The Moon and I', 'Several Sins A Day'). The disc closes out with the lush orchestral arrangement which closed out the film when the credits rolled - this has never been released on any format before. 

Barnes & Noble bookstores are releasing an 'exclusive' double LP on Gold vinyl. However, the disc 2 of the vinyl package does not appear to include all 15 additional tracks (according to their website, it stops at the 10th track, leaving off the additional five. Buyer Beware! 

Here are the additional tracks on Disc 2 for the YENTL Deluxe package:

1.Where Is It Written? (demo)
2. Papa, Can You Hear Me? (demo)
3. The Way He Makes Me Feel (demo)
4. Several Sins A Day (demo)
5. No Wonder (demo) with Marilyn Bergman
6. Tomorrow Night (demo)
7. Will Someone Ever look At Me This Way? (demo) w/ Michel Legrand
8. The Moon and I (demo)
9. A Piece of Sky (demo)
10. Papa, Can You Hear Me? (studio version)
11. Several Sins A Day (studio version)
12. Where Is It Written? (with Rabbinical chorus)
13. Papa, Can You Hear Me? (single version)
14. This Is One of Those Moments (reprise)
15. End Title (instrumental medley)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 6:36 AM, pubic_assistance said:

Will she also be releasing a new music video on VHS ? 🤪

I think you mean the music video channel VH1.

And to answer your question - it would be great if she did.  She spent a great amount of time and expense on the three videos she did do back in the 80s ('Emotion', 'Left in the Dark', 'Somewhere') and each one played out like a mini-movie. Her eye for detail and perfection was obvious in each of them. The only other person I can think of from the 80s who spent so much time and money on each music video was Michael Jackson - and his videos also played out like a mini-movie, not a video. Both artists knew the medium they were working with at the time.

• 4 weeks later...