QUIET Hotel in NYC?

Penn7

Does anyone know of a truly quiet hotel in or near Manhattan that doesn't cost an insane amount of money, please? (Quiet both in terms of street noise on whatever floor I'd stay on, AND in terms of thick walls, the hotel taking noisy-neighbor complaints seriously, etc.) More than anything, I need sleep, and I also want to visit NYC. Dare to dream? :) 

I am kind of a light sleeper, and the last time I visited NYC, last year, most of a night of sleep was ruined by several minutes of beeping from a loud trash truck at 5 a.m. I know, it's NYC, not the forest, but that messed me up. I had stayed in that same Chelsea/Flatiron hotel several times before, and I was on the 5th floor this time - I thought I'd be relatively safe from street noise. But - nope. I've stayed in several other hotels & Airbnbs in Manhattan too. So, to have an actual, relaxing vacation when I visit later this month, I need to find a hotel where I can actually get a good night's sleep, while also paying a semi-sane rate. (So the special sleep suites for $900 or $1,000 a night at the Equinox Hotel, etc., are no good for me.) The stress of trying to find a suitable hotel is wearing on me. I'm considering staying at the only hotel on Roosevelt Island, the Graduate, to get away from city noise. But then I'd be aggravated the whole visit by being kind of far from everything. Sigh.

I could not nail down dates off work sooner, because.. long story. It doesn't help $-wise that my dates include a Saturday night (arrive Sat 9/23; leave Tue 9/26). And if I don't go this month, I may have to wait until late October or later, and my existing burnout may get worse. I haven't had a real vacation in 5 years, between Covid, moving back to DC, and deaths in the family.) If I can't find something quiet and semi-sanely priced in NYC soon, I may say F it, postpone the NYC trip again, and just visit a couple of DC spas or something during my few days off. But I really want to get AWAY from the DC area for a little while if I can.

5 hours ago, Penn7 said:

Does anyone know of a truly quiet hotel in or near Manhattan that doesn't cost an insane amount of money, please? (Quiet both in terms of street noise on whatever floor I'd stay on, AND in terms of thick walls, the hotel taking noisy-neighbor complaints seriously, etc.) More than anything, I need sleep, and I also want to visit NYC. Dare to dream? :) 

I am kind of a light sleeper, and the last time I visited NYC, last year, most of a night of sleep was ruined by several minutes of beeping from a loud trash truck at 5 a.m. I know, it's NYC, not the forest, but that messed me up. I had stayed in that same Chelsea/Flatiron hotel several times before, and I was on the 5th floor this time - I thought I'd be relatively safe from street noise. But - nope. I've stayed in several other hotels & Airbnbs in Manhattan too. So, to have an actual, relaxing vacation when I visit later this month, I need to find a hotel where I can actually get a good night's sleep, while also paying a semi-sane rate. (So the special sleep suites for $900 or $1,000 a night at the Equinox Hotel, etc., are no good for me.) The stress of trying to find a suitable hotel is wearing on me. I'm considering staying at the only hotel on Roosevelt Island, the Graduate, to get away from city noise. But then I'd be aggravated the whole visit by being kind of far from everything. Sigh.

I could not nail down dates off work sooner, because.. long story. It doesn't help $-wise that my dates include a Saturday night (arrive Sat 9/23; leave Tue 9/26). And if I don't go this month, I may have to wait until late October or later, and my existing burnout may get worse. I haven't had a real vacation in 5 years, between Covid, moving back to DC, and deaths in the family.) If I can't find something quiet and semi-sanely priced in NYC soon, I may say F it, postpone the NYC trip again, and just visit a couple of DC spas or something during my few days off. But I really want to get AWAY from the DC area for a little while if I can.

I stayed at the Even hotel Midtown East for 10 nights last fall because of a super-low award sale. It's quiet and great location. It's a brand new skinny super-tall with condos up top. It's designed for younger people and has a big 1st floor gym and exercise equipment in the (small) rooms. I was on 27th floor just under the condos and with a great view of Central Park South. Because it's so skinny a tower with only a few rooms per floor it was exceptionally quiet. 

On 9/3/2023 at 6:16 PM, Penn7 said:

Great post. I feel your pain. It’s not just NYC. Quiet is so important to me. I still remember especially quiet places, 10 plus years on.

31 minutes ago, cany10011 said:

The most quiet hotels I’ve been in are the Mandarin Oriental, Stanhope and Park Hyatt. All very pin drop quiet. 

nyc.jpeg
WWW.NYC.COM

NYC.com information, maps, directions and reviews on The Stanhope Park Hyatt New York and other in New York City. NYC.com, the authentic city site, also offer a...

"The Stanhope has CLOSED and no longer operates as a hotel. The Stanhope formerly operated as a Park Hyatt hotel but was recently converted to a residential condominium."

As for the Mandarin Oriental and Park Hyatt, those rooms start at over $1000 a night, which the OP specifically stated was over his budget, so this post was non-responsive. 

28 minutes ago, Unicorn said:
nyc.jpeg
WWW.NYC.COM

NYC.com information, maps, directions and reviews on The Stanhope Park Hyatt New York and other in New York City. NYC.com, the authentic city site, also offer a...

"The Stanhope has CLOSED and no longer operates as a hotel. The Stanhope formerly operated as a Park Hyatt hotel but was recently converted to a residential condominium."

As for the Mandarin Oriental and Park Hyatt, those rooms start at over $1000 a night, which the OP specifically stated was over his budget, so this post was non-responsive. 

I can’t justify paying that for a hotel room. Other things for sure but not a room.

On 9/3/2023 at 5:16 PM, Penn7 said:

Lower Manhattan, more specifically FiDi.

It's still a bit of a no man's land after 5pm and that makes for quieter streets and less pedestrian traffic at night. 

I'd.recommend other hotels on the UWS or around the Broadway/upper 60s, but they won't be price sensitive.

You pay for that kind of quiet in a good hotel.