Trekking poles for hiking with bad knees?

FreshFluff

I really enjoy hill walking, and it's good for my cardio fitness. For now, I'm hiking on paved asphalt paths. Unfortunately, downhill walking is hard on my worn kneecap. (I'm in PT to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings.)  I've tried leaning into the hill and walking down on a zig zag, but my left knee still hurts afterwards. 

Has anyone found trekking poles useful for easing pressure on the joints while going downhill?  I found some very light collapsible ones to use while descending.  While walking uphill, I'd rather let my lower body/glutes do the work. Can the poles be carried in one hand when needed?

I almost always use trekking poles when hiking up or down. Be sure to get the ones with shock absorbers, and cork handles. They definitely reduce the strain on knees. I recommend using them uphill as well, but if you don't want to use them going up, I suppose you could carry them with one hand--or simply keep them in their collapsed state in your daypack, and wait to open them until you get to the top. 

On 8/30/2023 at 6:28 PM, Rudynate said:

I had a pair.  I really liked them, but I didn't pay enought for them. They wore out very quickly.  I used them to rehab from a spine surgery. 

Some of the expensive ones wear out fast too, especially the light carbon ones made. I wanted a light one too so I am hoping for the best. 

I just want to get back to the hill walking I used to do--without wearing out the little kneecap cartilage I have left.