Providers who have cut down fees for time for clients, why?

tbuzzsaw

There has been times where I might have met a provider where we might have gone over time. I always ask for the fee after the sessions and sometimes they'll say something like "it's up to you" (a lot of pressure on my end to think what's right) or they cut down the fees more than the initial rate. I get the notion if I'm a repeat client but I'm talking about a first or second time appointment.

So to the providers out there that has done this, what is the reason? Did you genuinely enjoy the company that you cut it down at the end? Did you feel like going overtime wasn't anyone's fault and didn't want to charge extra? A strategic gesture to hope to get a repeating client?

Very curious at the responses.

Only because I lost track of time.

As far as I'm concerned, going over time means both sides lost track of time. Nonetheless, I've known providers who try and take advantage of this. I personally set my own timer when a provider comes, just in case I doze off.

With regulars, I've gone overtime before, and they just waved it off. Of course, they received good tips later on, and probably already knew they would.

Maybe they can’t do the math on fractional extended hourly payments 😉

I’ve experienced a range of scenarios on this, because it’s rare (certainly among those I’ve engaged) for a punctual start (ie we start the real session as soon as we can vs chat / they run errands, text etc) or stop. And sometimes I get the impression that is partly deliberate to reduce the amount of “session” within the overall time agreed.

My preference is to end on time - and I’ve sometimes put in a softer alarm (barely audible enough to kill the mood but loud enough for me to hear) 10 mins or so before the end so I can say something like “we’re approaching the end, we should wind down”. That prompts their having to respond (and they may well have another appointment so can’t extend any way) but at least you thrash it out.

if we started late because of the provider - they couldn’t find something, they got a telephone call they had to take, they wanted to chat beforehand “to get to know you and feel comfortable” but beyond a reasonable time (45 Mins in an hours session once, not kidding, because I was apparently so much fun to talk to)  — I ask as we begin for real, “how much time do we have …?” So we can agree before hand on expectations. 

Worst is if a provider indicates they don’t mind going over, they’re enjoying it and they want you to as well … but then at the end they get passive-aggressive or worse, vocal about wanting more $ without disclosure of terms prior to extending. 

Just remember you may be having the time of your life but the model is based on the provider’s time at his discretion. So don’t let your heart or any other organ keep you going if you’re not prepared to compensate accordingly.